BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i switched from Harley to BMW a couple years ago, my first BMW was a 2002 R1150RT. All the reviews caused me worry about the brake pump going out, and costing a fortune to repair. Of course i had it bled and purged right away by a dealer, to ease my mind.
Now I upgraded to my 2006 k1200lt, and i'm wondering if it's cursed with the same problems. I've not seen any comments on Pump problems on it, which makes me feel better, but was wondering if BMW used the same pump in both bikes. Just trying to educate myself totally on BMW. Ive always wrenched on my own Harleys, and Plan on doing the same with the BMW's.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Yes, the same problem exists on the LT with the ABS pump failures, however, I haven't seen so much talk about it online as with the RT models.

I had an ABS problem when I bought my LT, but it turned out to be just low fluid. And I was able to reset the ABS alarm myself. The thread is on this forum about how I did it. http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/149362-abs-ii-reset-help-please.html#post1534794

My LT is for sale, because it really too much bike for me (see my FS post http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/152802-sale-2000-k1200lt-$4200-54k-miles.html )... but I am going back to an RT as soon as it is sold. The ABS pump shouldn't be that scary if you change your brake fluid at least every other year, and every year is cheap insurance. I have found that maintaining a BMW with all the information available on the internet, and youtube is not as difficult as BMW would have people believe. If you could maintain a Harley, you should have no problem -John

Reactions: BeemerJoe

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
When i switched from Harley to BMW a couple years ago, my first BMW was a 2002 R1150RT. All the reviews caused me worry about the brake pump going out, and costing a fortune to repair. Of course i had it bled and purged right away by a dealer, to ease my mind.
Now I upgraded to my 2006 k1200lt, and i'm wondering if it's cursed with the same problems. I've not seen any comments on Pump problems on it, which makes me feel better, but was wondering if BMW used the same pump in both bikes. Just trying to educate myself totally on BMW. Ive always wrenched on my own Harleys, and Plan on doing the same with the BMW's.
All k1200LT between 2002-2009 use the same ABS modulator you had on your 2002 R1150RT. There are a few difference in implementation (front/rear distribution and module orientation in frame), however it is basically the same supplier and same design (Integral-ABS with electrical servos). Bleed procedure is also the same as your earlier R1150RT.

Reactions: BeemerJoe
1 - 3 of 3 Posts