BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to BMW's and want to know the difference between the K1200 RT & K1200 LT

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
zBLVD said:
I am new to BMW's and want to know the difference between the K1200 RT & K1200 LT
The last time I responded to such a general question with a suggestion to use the site's excellent search engine (TO GET THE REQUESTER TO THE GREATEST AMOUNT OF USEFUL INFO AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE!) I was chastized as a Search Nazi.

Ergo, I note simply that as a threshold matter, there has been no K1200RT, so we need to focus your inquiry a bit.

There have been a K1200LT, a K1200RS and an R1200RT. At the highest level, the K12RS is the sport version and the K12LT is the upright touring version of the K1200 flying brick longitudinal four. The R1200RT is the two-cylinder boxer sport tourer.

Which pair do you want to compare? Small differences between the K's; big differences between the K and the R; the latter are so fundamentally different in approach/riding experience that it will be a not trivial task to cover it all.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mark, I can assure you that I will not think of you as a Nazi, lol. A friend of mine has a BMW and I "thought" the model was K1200RT, but I must have read it incorrectly. Also, I don't know anything about BMW's and I am brand new to this site and not familiar with searching, but I will learn.

I think you answered my question. It looks like the RS is a sport, and the 1200LT (4 cyl) touring and 1200RT (2 cyl) touring.

I am going to assume the 4 cyl is a better touring bike.

Thanks

Paul

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I am the owner of an LT but that assumption is not exactly correct.

It would depend on what sort of touring you do and if you go solo. The RT is an excellent bike, many would say that it is better than the LT as it has more up to date electronics and suspension.

Basically the LT is a larger bike and great for long distance 2 up riding. The RT is lighter and more manuverable in towns and cities.

Best would be to try both and make up your mind. The LT is no longer on the catalouge, but apparently BMW still have a few "hidden" away. Plenty of pre-owned ones though.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Hi Paul and welcome to the site. Mark and Simon have pretty well summed it up in a nut shell. Over the years I have had several Hondas, a Harley, a BMW R1100RT and now a K1200LT. Going BMW has to be a decision the you alone will have to make. I know that I and many on this forum think BMW is the only way to go, but then this is a BMW forum. You will also notice that many members have multiple bikes of different makes and capabilities in their stables.

I like long range riding. When I had my RT, I did a lot of solo riding and my bride stayed home. We looked at Gold Wings and she thought she would be comfortable on the pillion on a big bike. I settled on the LT (and very happy that I did). She loves to ride with me now. For a while I had both bikes in the stable and that really gave me a good comparison. I can tell you that my LT is much more comfortable and smoother than the RT. It is heavier and more cumbersome in tight spaces than the RT. I would not go back, but I am thinking of adding a smaller lighter bike to the stable just for buzzing around on short sprints to town or the coffee shop.

That is my 2 cents, good luck on your decision. :bmw:

·
Registered
256 Posts
My quick summary:

The R1200RT is a lighter weight sport motorcycle biased towards touring.
The K1200lT is a heavier weight touring motorcycle biased towards sport

There is a lot of overlap between the two, with either able fill the role of the other.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
While the RT is a fun ride, it feels like its missing on a couple of cylinders. Wait it is missing a couple of cylinders. :)

LT is more comfortable for the passenger (personal opinion). Air cool vs radiator cool.
Lighter vs heavier. Bunch of other things I'm sure I'm leaving out. You can do a lot of research on this site and I would even go look at them both at a dealer.

·
Registered
929 Posts
When you get a chance may I suggest you just sit in the saddle of both...that was a big part of my decision...after she got off she said, "I will take the LT." :rotf:

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
RT is a horizontally opposed twin (classic BMW look) oil cooled sport/tour bike.
LT is a horizontal four cylinder water cooled tour bike.

LT is the best there is for long distance comfort.
RT is a lot lighter and more nimble in the twisties.

Each is a great machine. They are quite different from each other to ride. If you are an experienced rider you will feel the difference immediately.

·
Registered
832 Posts
JimH said:
My quick summary:

The R1200RT is a lighter weight sport motorcycle biased towards touring/sport riding.The K1200lT is a heavier weight touring motorcycle biased towards sport/touring riding.

There is a lot of overlap between the two, with either able fill the role of the other.
This is true...... :D

·
Registered
241 Posts
I really liked my '02 LTC. At that time I was 5'6", 240lbs, wife about the same and the low seat really helped me. She loved the way the back seat was, even falling asleep on occasion. We came home from Pensacola to just south of Chicago in 16 hours,(2 1/2 hours was spent eating and fueling up. The last time we stopped was to put rain gear on and since it was a gas station I figured I might as well fill up). This was a great bike, until I got hit and it was totaled. The following year I got an '05 LT but my wife didn't trust my leg so I got a new '07 R1200RT. She wasn't comfortable so I added peg lowerers, and had the seats rebuilt. Later that year I got hit again and haven't rode since, (not by choice). Try them both if you can, preferably the same day. Whichever makes you grin the most is the one. A lot depends on your body type and inseam and the build of your main passenger if any. For long trips, especially 2-up the LT gets my vote. Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
........... Snip

Boatzo said:
I would not go back, but I am thinking of adding a smaller lighter bike to the stable just for buzzing around on short sprints to town or the coffee shop.

That is my 2 cents, good luck on your decision. :bmw:
...... endsnip.

Geez Bill, maybe a nice 1150 RT would work for ya!!!!!!!!!!! Shouldna sold it!

See you in Boise?

Loren

·
Registered
71 Posts
Having put 130,000 miles on a 99rt and 50+ on an 05 lt,RT less weight
less costly for maintain at dealer.traveling LT better comfort & wind protection.If you are traveling twisty roads on an RT you will be using 3 rd gear a lot, on an LT you would be using 4th gear she really feels planted.RT great in windy conditions probably better than LT .RT may have more accessories options than LT.Tires cheaper on RT. RT easier to service your self.Both machines are great.RT probably has less repair problems,clutch bearings trunk latches final drives,altinators on LTs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts