BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one know the rear valve stem hole size on an 2009 RT?
Going to put new tires on this winter and would like to put a metal stem in the place of rubber. (couple of years ago wifes 20,000 mile 2005 Accords valve stems failed and wrecked 2 rear tires in the middle of nowhere out west) Don't like the idea of it failing at 80 on two wheels. :(
Thanks

·
Registered
657 Posts
dennismusil said:
Does any one know the rear valve stem hole size on an 2009 RT?
Going to put new tires on this winter and would like to put a metal stem in the place of rubber. (couple of years ago wifes 20,000 mile 2005 Accords valve stems failed and wrecked 2 rear tires in the middle of nowhere out west) Don't like the idea of it failing at 80 on two wheels. :(
Thanks
These were recommended to me on another forum by another RT rider. I ordered them, but have not installed them on my bike yet.

This is what is on the invoice:
>>3/4 inch Chrome "Enkei" Style Tire Valve, .453 inch rim hole. <<

You'll have to call them, I could not find that item on their web page but I just ordered them 3 weeks ago.

Patchboy.com

·
Registered
545 Posts
Evening Dennis. Just put 3/4" valve stem, 0.453 rim hole opening, Enkei valve stem on the back of my '09 RT. Works perfectly. Got 'em from KurveyGirl.com , about $10 for a two-pack of Enkei valve stems delivered to my door. 623-444-5022. I use the Tiregard monitor, and the extra weight of the cap warranted the use of the metal valve stem.

Best, John

·
Registered
657 Posts
Trojan said:
Evening Dennis. Just put 3/4" valve stem, 0.453 rim hole opening, Enkei valve stem on the back of my '09 RT. Works perfectly. Got 'em from KurveyGirl.com , about $10 for a two-pack of Enkei valve stems delivered to my door. 623-444-5022. I use the Tiregard monitor, and the extra weight of the cap warranted the use of the metal valve stem.

Best, John
I have a TireGard also, but the sensor is only installed on my front wheel.....I'll take the bike to the shop soon for its 6k service and will have a steel valve stem installed then so I can start using the sensor on the rear wheel. Thanks for confirming the rim hole size.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Deek said:
I have a TireGard also, but the sensor is only installed on my front wheel.....I'll take the bike to the shop soon for its 6k service and will have a steel valve stem installed then so I can start using the sensor on the rear wheel. Thanks for confirming the rim hole size.
Morning Deek. As a matter of interest, I ran the bike with the Tiregard cap on the rear tire's rubber valve stem for what might have been a couple thousand miles, and then changed out the valve stem to metal when I changed tires. The dealer (Gina's) observed that the rubber valve stem was deteriorating as a result of the small additional weight of the Tiregard cap. No sweat now with the metal - but the evidence indicated that it was a pretty bad idea to run it on the rubber valve stem. Guess I got away with it for a short time - got lucky.

Best, John

·
Registered
322 Posts
Talking of TireGard, I was looking at this new model with internal sensors. Anyone tried it?

http://www.bigbikeparts.com/Inventory/Navision/13-325-45

Would need some modification for the RT's front wheel with the separate valve stem. According to the TireGard customer services the valve doesn't contribute to the operation of the internal sensors so on the front you could unscrew it, then you have the problem of securing the sensor of course.

I'm guessing the original BMW front wheel pressure sensor is secured with some special gizmo.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Trojan said:
The dealer (Gina's) observed that the rubber valve stem was deteriorating as a result of the small additional weight of the Tiregard cap. No sweat now with the metal - but the evidence indicated that it was a pretty bad idea to run it on the rubber valve stem. Guess I got away with it for a short time - got lucky.

Best, John
You did get lucky. I have a TireGard on my RT. The installation instructions were pretty clear with a warning NOT to use the TireGard on rubber valve stems. As noted above, steel valve stems are cheap and easy to install and readily available at any auto parts store. A reminder that the TireGard sensors weight 10 grams each. That means tires must be balanced with the sensors in place.

I have my display mounted on the BMR Shelf on my RT. I turn it on to ride - after I have checked my pressures before the ride - and pretty much ignore it. I have it for the sole purpose of warning me of a tire going down while I'm riding. The TireGard system has a setting for how low a tire can get before it warns the pressure is below that setting.

IMO, the TireGard system does not replace a visual inspection of tire condition and manual pressure testing before you ride each day.

Lastly, the TireGard system DOES NOT display the "current pressure" when you turn it on in the garage. It displays the LAST transmitted pressure after the bike has been ridden. If the system was on the last time you rode the bike - the sensors will have transmitted the pressues - within +/- 1 pound - to the receiver. The receiver will retain that information. I was told by TireGard support that the bike has to be ridden long enough for the receiver to poll the transmitters before it will display the current pressures.

I bought mine from Big Bike Parts for $139. I'm satisfied it will tell me if a problem develops when I'm on the road.

·
Registered
657 Posts
steveaikens said:
........... A reminder that the TireGard sensors weight 10 grams each. That means tires must be balanced with the sensors in place.....
Yours is the first advise I'd heard about that. I've not noticed any problems with the sensor on my front wheel, but I've only had it mounted for maybe 300 miles.

......Lastly, the TireGard system DOES NOT display the "current pressure" when you turn it on in the garage. It displays the LAST transmitted pressure after the bike has been ridden. If the system was on the last time you rode the bike - the sensors will have transmitted the pressues - within +/- 1 pound - to the receiver. The receiver will retain that information. I was told by TireGard support that the bike has to be ridden long enough for the receiver to poll the transmitters before it will display the current pressures.....
If you put the bike on a centerstand, you can turn on the TireGard monitor and rotate each wheel a couple of times and it will update the tire pressure reading. At least on my unit. I do not have to ride away to see the current tire pressure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts