BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2012 RT, and in the past have always been a solo rider. However, I am now riding with a passenger most of the time I ride, and feel like the RT is too cramped. Consequently, I don't enjoy riding much lately.

My dealer has a clean 2006 LT with low miles that I am considering for about 12k. Those that may be able to describe the differences in riding with a passenger on an RT vs. LT, I would really appreciate hearing those comments.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Try it out before you decide. LT's are heavy and top heavy besides.
At slow speeds ( under 10 MPH), kind of a handful. After that you can throw it through curves almost as well as an RT.
Make sure you keep the front wheel straight when stopping and be sure of your footing as it will dump on you if you're not careful. Once you get used to it, nothing to be afraid of.

It is better for 2 up and you'll not even notice it.
More will chime in here I'm sure. I'm a relative newby to the bike as well, but it's a kick in the butt.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
I went from an 08 RT to a 03 LT for the same reason..Very happy with the decision. I think the LT is a much better choice for two up riding. Go for a test ride it should help you decide. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
$12k for a 2006 seems a bit high.

Check the classifieds here, as well as flea bay and dregs list for range of prices. Do not forget KBB.com, NADAGuides.com, and other pricing tools. At the end of the day, a bike is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I, too, just switched to an LT ( from my old R 80) for two up riding. FlyK12LT is correct, it is heavy and top heavy when riding two up. Practice a bit solo, coming to a stop with mostly front brake, wheel straight. I'm now having to train my wife to look straight ahead when we come to a stop, as I think her looking to the right side at each stop was causing the bike to turn that way. I wobbled it afew times and now she is checking to see whats happening. When the momentum stops and she is over center to the right there is nothing to keep it upright. And since it is heavy it doesn't take much over center to get beyond catching it. She won't be happy to hear my theory that she is part of the cause, but riding solo I can stop without a wobble or a toe stab.

Don't let this stop you. It is great once you are going and a fabulous ride for both people. Just have to re train on how to handle low speed manouvers.

·
Registered
431 Posts
As all the others have said.

I went from a R1200RT to an 06 model K1200LT mainly for the extra space and comfort for two up touring. It's the best at that. I've also had GL 1200 & 1500's, an R1150RT and a ST1300A.

I would also say, since you sit more in it than on it, that the LT handles truck bow waves and side winds better, being more stable, and it corners better than the RT.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts