BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking to change from rt to lt, but weight and seat height have giving me some concerns have 29 inch inseam any thoughts?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Search the forum for answers/opinions to your question. This subject has been discussed at length and there are many informed opinions to help you make your decision. I think most riders will prefer the LT if you will be primarily riding 2-up; it is much more comfortable for longer distances (for a rider and passenger) than is the RT.

The weight is, IMO, easily adjusted to with a little slow-speed maneuvering practice. As far as seat height, modifications can be easily made to the seat and the bike to lower the seat height by a couple of inches.

The LT has a considerably smoother engine than the RT and transmits virtually no vibration to handlebars or pegs.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I too am inseam challenged. 28". I have had mine ('01 standard seat) for nearly 2 years now and love it. I just accepted early on that I have to be careful at stop signs etc. I can't flat foot it both sides with normal shoes on. My boots have 2" heels on them and they make all the difference.

Here's the bottom line: At rest you have to be careful to not let it lean too far left or right or it will go down for a nap. Once you pick up your feet your inseam makes NO DIFFERENCE!

One last thought. If/when you do drop it from an at rest position it is easy to pick up by yourself. Videos on youtube.

Loren

·
Registered
17 Posts
It's just a bike.

When my K12 is stationary and upright, it weighs about a pound. - Tip it 30' to one side and I've got a problem. Cornering at 45' (or more) and it's as light as a feather.

It's all about 'what you're used to'.

My first bike was a Beezer Bantam 125. It was a bike and I had to learn how to ride it. Id you've never ridden before, a K12 will be a challenge - it's certainly not a 'learner's bike' - but it's no more difficult (or heavy) to ride than any other.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I changed from a RT to a GS and then to an LT. I think the seat on the LT is the lowest of them all. As for handling, it's just something to get use to.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I also have a 29" inseam and while I have not owned an RT I got the chance to ride a 2011 RT last week for a day. I think the LT is higher than the RT - but not too bad.
At first the LT height will feel a little strange - but if you have good balance and some riding skill it will not be a problem and you'll get used to it very quickly.
At first I had the stock seat and found it very uncomfortable. I switched to a regular Corbin and love it (everyone to their own though). The Corbin make it a little more unnatural to put your feet down at stops. But if you're doing it correctly and braking properly and waiting till you've pretty much stopped moving to land your feet you'll be fine.
The LT is top heavy and kind of a beast at parking lot speeds - and it only took me a week to join the tip over club. But one of the beauties of this bike is in the design - it doesn't crash at low speeds - it just tips over and comes to about a 45 degree rest. No damage - no worries.
Sorry for the ramble - slow morning around here.
If you have any other "short people" questions about the LT feel free to PM me.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I went from an RT to a LT mainly for comfort. My wife would not ride pillion on the RT, she loves the LT. I actually find my LT a little lower than the RT (28" inseam here). I loved my RT and put a lot of miles on it, but it was very uncomfortable.(had 3 different seats). I can ride the LT all day and feel fine. The dead weight is a bit of a problem for me. Mt left knee and right hip are starting to give me grief, so when trying to get the big girl upright from the side stand, it is a strain. While I still had both bikes, when I rode the RT to the coffee shop, I felt like I was on a sprint.

If you want a bike for long trips and 2 up, the LT is the one.

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
I went the other way...LT to RT. The RT is higher, although not that much, maybe 1/2 to 1 inch, can't remember, but I know I could flat foot or close to it with the LT and can't with the RT(i have about a 29" inseam) and I have the lowered seat on the RT. BUT...I can handle the RT much easier due to weight difference. I didn't have a problem with the LT alone, but put the SO on the rear and it was always a challenge at low speed. Nothing you can't get used to but I like the RT handling and I feel better riding it, wife not so much, she liked the LT better. Depends a lot on the type of riding you are doing. I like the fact that I can salvage a lot on a bit of a tip with the RT, but once that LT decided to go over....it was then a question of how do I get it back up, and if the SO was on the back...did I hurt her this time? Anyway, the LT is a great bike and for touring it was fantastic, but then so is the RT. I would love to have both, but since I can't, I am going for the lighter sportier bike for my old body.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm in the market for an RT. The wife wants something sportier than her R1200C. Let me know what the dealer offers. I'm happy with my LT and won't give it up for anything. I am looking forward to having an RT in the house. I wish we could keep the R1200C it is a fun and cool looking bike but the RT fits the profile for most of our rides.

·
just a guy
31 Posts
I went from a R12RT to the LT. For 2-up, no contest. I rode for a bit, then separated a shoulder by taking a bounce test on another bike. The weight got to me enough after that I tried a K13GT for a while. Great power, great handling, but not an LT 2-up. Just traded it back on another LT. Loving it.

Low speed handing (as noted above) is the only glitch. Just be aware, develop hading techniques for this part of the envelop.

This bike is just incredible for traveling, Turbine smooth, very comfy, good handling. Not as spry as the RT, but the skill of the rider makes a huge difference. I've seen Gary Orr (local dealership owner) make his LT dance in ways I didn't think possible.
all the best,
Mike

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm one of those lucky polycyclists that owns both an LT and an RT. I love them both but I ride my LT much more. I'm on my second LT, sold my first to a friend and riding budddy that my wife and I will be riding with next weekend. When I go out for the day, just me and the bike, I ride the RT. That little bike is sporty and light and makes me feel young. If we're going out two-up or if I'm going interstate, it's absolutely the LT. If an overnighter or day ride is your riding, go with the RT, it is much sportier and sexier. If you want the epic ride, ust you against the pavement, it's the LT. It's nothing to set the cruise control and spend ten or twelve hours in the saddle, aftermarket saddle that is, stock will destroy your backside. I have owned many bikes over the years, including two Goldwings and a HD RoadKing. There is absolutely no doubt thathe best "See the World" bike is the K1200LT. You really can't go wrong with either. Choosing between an LT and an RT is like deciding between a Cadilac and a Camero, apples and oranges, Led Zeplin and Mozart. My advice, get both. That's what I did and I have never regreted it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts