BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from a ride on my 2011 RT that took us through Sequoia, Yosemite, Tahoe, San Francisco and back down the coast on Highway 1 to San Diego. I was the only one on a BMW..there were two Harley's, one Honda ST1300 and Kawasaki Victory.

Wanted to report that I had absolutely no issues with the bike...it ran flawlessly for the entire 1800 miles and averaged about 49 mpg.

With only 6K miles it still seems to be using oil excessively. Added close to a quart during the trip. Maybe that's not excessive for low mileage BMW RTs.

I did wear down the sides of the front tire going through the twisties around Lake Isabella and will probably have to replace it. I can't recall what the CalTrans guy I talked to said they put on the roads up there, but it was just like sand paper...but you didn't have to worry about sticking it around a corner.

Stopped at Clearwater Lights in Sacramento and had a pair of Krista lights installed. The 1.5 hour job that was communicated to me over the phone, turned into almost 4 hours. Once completed, you get the sense that people can see you a little better, but it doesn't do anything for those who decide to come over into your lane as you are passing them...happened twice.

Anyway, a fun ride and can't wait to do another. If you're interested in seeing some photos, point your browser to here...

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.438156566203105.136429.100000262958336&type=3&l=fd5d680f2f

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
The oil usage will slow down tremendously after you get the engine fully broken in.

Regards,

·
Registered
127 Posts
Sounds and looks like a great trip.

My 2011 RT used a fair amount of oil up to the 6,000 mile service. Between it and where I'm at now (9,500 miles) I have added under a half quart.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Sounds like a great trip! I am curious how you compared to the other riders/bikes as far as comfort and fatigue. We you still ready to go when the others needed to rest or get off their bikes?

Alaskan

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
SPXDR said:
Sounds and looks like a great trip.

My 2011 RT used a fair amount of oil up to the 6,000 mile service. Between it and where I'm at now (9,500 miles) I have added under a half quart.

What kind of break-in riding did you do?

My 2011 RT was a demo bike that I actually started riding with 2 miles on the odometer, and all the next 600 miles to first service, and then all but 200 miles of the 2500 miles in demo status. I did my usual "Motoman" style run in procedure, and the bike has not used any oil since. I am just about at the 6000 mile interval now, and still no oil use.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alaskan said:
Sounds like a great trip! I am curious how you compared to the other riders/bikes as far as comfort and fatigue. We you still ready to go when the others needed to rest or get off their bikes?

Alaskan
The riders ages were 67, 65, 63, 53 (me) and 49. The my older friends usually wanted to stop before the two younger guys, but I think that was more about their age than they type of bike they rode. They just fatigued earlier and I suspect that guys 10 years younger than me wouldn't tire out when I did.

One thing I will say is that the RT is a pleasure to ride and I can do 8-10 hours on it without much of a problem, although the stock seat gets a little uncomfortable after about 350 miles.

Mark

·
Registered
127 Posts
ka5ysy said:
What kind of break-in riding did you do?
I rode a variety of roads, and didn't particularly baby or beat the motor during the initial break in period.

My opinion is, oil consumption rate is related to how the motor is broken in, but also just plain luck. Some motors burn more (or less) oil than others, which were broken in identically, just because...

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
gphusky1 said:
The riders ages were 67, 65, 63, 53 (me) and 49. The my older friends usually wanted to stop before the two younger guys, but I think that was more about their age than they type of bike they rode. They just fatigued earlier and I suspect that guys 10 years younger than me wouldn't tire out when I did.

One thing I will say is that the RT is a pleasure to ride and I can do 8-10 hours on it without much of a problem, although the stock seat gets a little uncomfortable after about 350 miles.

Mark
Ahem! 63-67 is not "older". It is "wiser" or "more experienced" or "entering the prime of life", perhaps. ;)

JayJay (59 for a little bit longer ...)

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SPXDR said:
I rode a variety of roads, and didn't particularly baby or beat the motor during the initial break in period.

My opinion is, oil consumption rate is related to how the motor is broken in, but also just plain luck. Some motors burn more (or less) oil than others, which were broken in identically, just because...

The BMW guys at the shop said ride it nicely for the first 450 miles, then run the rpm up for the next 150 and bring it in for service.

Most of those I talked to said the RTs use oil for awhile and settle down. One said his oil consumption went away at 15K while others said theirs stopped around 6K. Doesn't seem to be any hard and fast rules. The local BMW mechanics that service the CHP said those guys hop on a new bike and ride it like they stole it and oil consumption rates vary from bike to bike.

No worries, checking the oil is just one of those things I do before each ride.

·
Registered
127 Posts
gphusky1 said:

Mark
Thanks for the info. I bet they we all jealous of your RT though!!!

Alaskan

·
Registered
46 Posts
I just completed a 2600 mile tour of the Southwest with 3 other guys. I was on my 2009 RT and they on a 2002GS, Yamaha SJR and a Kawasaki Vulcan. At 73, I was the oldest by far. We rode 6-7 hrs a day, and I could easily stay up with the youngsters. I attribute it to the comfort and handling of my RT (and the highway pegs I put on it). My 2009 stopped using oil at about 9k.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts