BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
My 2013 rt-p has oem speakers in place. Any info on possibly wiring them for 3.5 headphone adapter so I can plug it into my iPhone via lightning adaptor? Do the speakers need a power source via an amp to work? Tired of wearing 1 earbud inside of my helmet. Tnx for any help馃憤馃徏馃憤馃徏 Happy Holidays 馃巹

Registered
Since no one answered yet, I'll take a semi educated stab at answering.

I believe you'd have to change out the base station or control head or whatever you want to call it (the correct BMW terminology). The stock unit is very limited in what it can do. However, I will also warn you the stock speakers aren't very good, so if you want audio you can hear and understand at speed, you'll need to upgrade those too.

My suggestion would be to invest is a good Bluetooth helmet audio system (like a Sena) and just install a charging port for the phone. Much easier and likely cheaper.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
There is no head unit. It鈥檚 a police model. It鈥檚 has speakers in place and I want to play my iPhone over the speakers so I need to know how I can wire them to do so.

Premium Member
There is no head unit. It鈥檚 a police model. It鈥檚 has speakers in place and I want to play my iPhone over the speakers so I need to know how I can wire them to do so.
Is it a full police model with the radio box still in place? If so the connections to the speakers are back there and easy. If not, then you will have to search for where the harness was hacked. A great resource is www.bmwmc.net. You could even wire up a Sena Bluetooth module.

Registered
Hard to beat the simplicity of a BT headset like Sena produces. Stereo music, no wiring required, and then can use a cubby for a place to charge your phone as needed. Volume is sufficient to send thru my 29db earplugs. Incoming phone call just requires a button press to answer as desired. My relatively cheap Sena 10R now has 6 years of regular use on it in a Shoei RF1200 and it's still going strong. I expected the battery to die but so far so good.

Registered
2003 BMW K1200 LT (88K on 2020/08/13)
Hello all:
While I've not gone this route myself, I just gutted the entire Audio system on my 2003 LTE, going down the same road as Kelly here. I'm considering using my speaker boxes and replacing the four stock speakers with something nicer and using the giant glovebox I now have with the removal of the stock head unit, com system and and CB connections with a BT Amplifier with 2 or 4 channels and an AUX/MP3 input (Pyle 90 Watt 8 Ohm BT Mini Blue Compact Amplifier), cheap and small enough to try it out. Still searching for 4 channel. Just a thought that might be in the right direction of utilizing four speaker positions that were provided with an underpowered sub standard over priced audio system.

Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
You really need to have an amp to drive the speakers, the headphone out from the phone will drive the amp but not speakers.

Reactions: Kelly Be

Registered
Kelly Be:

As jzeiler suggests, you phone will provide what is known as a 'line-level' signal to an amplifier that needs to drive the speaker coils. I'm not sure how good the OEM speakers are on your RT-P. My guess is that they're not great. You could pull one out and bring it to a good car audio place to see what they think. In all likelihood, you will need a good aftermarket amp and upgraded speakers to get decent sound out of your rig.

If you wear earplugs with your helmet when riding, it will be an additional challenge for the amp and speakers. If you don't wear earplugs, you're almost certainly damaging your hearing.

The other route is helmet mounted speakers as NoelCP suggests. It sounds as though you don't want to go any further down the earbud path. If you'd consider that, you can get molded earplugs with transducers built in.

Registered
Even if you don't have the stock head, if you want it so that everything runs through the bike mounted speakers you'll have to install rather than replace the stock head unit. Also, I would recommend replacing the stock speakers unless the police model has seriously upgraded speakers, which I doubt, they are very limited and have huge distortion at higher volume levels.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts