BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts
Hey Mneblett!

Thank you! I enjoyed and learned alot from all that you had to say. I welcome anyone to post just as Mnblett did. Good for us novice people who know just a fraction of what these new bikes are all about. The last time I really worked on a bike was back in the 70's.

Thanks Mneblett

2006 RT

A few others while I was younger

Sync adjustment? As I understand it for the new RT all you need to do is maintain equal cable adjustments and make sure there is enough slack that the throttle bodies can close and have a specific amount of needed slack. The bike completes an air valve check/calibration (idle) each start up cycle. Other than that check your valve clearance, change fluids/filters, and your good to go. Or at least until your electronic fuel pump controller goes south. :rotf:

ka5ysy said:
Actually they will be using liquid hydrogen cooled superconductor magnets for a new maglev drive system. No tires, oil changes, FD, etc to worry with. A true dual sport or tourer configured by selection on the multi-controller menu. Adaptive skins adjust the fairing to whatever speed and on/off-road configuration you happen to be in. Small fusion power reactor for main power to the engine, Million mile range to replacement.:rolleyes:
If you look at my Avatar you will get a picture of what you have described. The future of transportation?
Ellie

beech said:
Sync adjustment? As I understand it for the new RT all you need to do is maintain equal cable adjustments and make sure there is enough slack that the throttle bodies can close and have a specific amount of needed slack. The bike completes an air valve check/calibration (idle) each start up cycle. Other than that check your valve clearance, change fluids/filters, and your good to go. Or at least until your electronic fuel pump controller goes south. :rotf:
And read JVBs procedure on it. It's based on vacuum balance. Unless you want to go antediluvian, you have to by yet another tool. An electronic throttle could adjust itself.

mneblett said:
Some will argue that the older mechaincal systems on these bikes are more reliable -- bull hockey. Today's electronics have FAR lower MTBF numbers than the older bikes, and it is *exceedingly* rare to hear of a true, electronics-killed on-the-road immobilizing failure.
The people who argue for simplicity are far too often the ones that have never sat on the side of the road changing a set of points that fried after a condenser went bad.

They also don't remember how often they had to replace tires before radials came along.

The list goes on...

ka5ysy said:
Actually they will be using liquid hydrogen cooled superconductor magnets for a new maglev drive system. No tires, oil changes, FD, etc to worry with. A true dual sport or tourer configured by selection on the multi-controller menu. Adaptive skins adjust the fairing to whatever speed and on/off-road configuration you happen to be in. Small fusion power reactor for main power to the engine, Million mile range to replacement.:rolleyes:
Yeah Yeah Yeah, I'm still waiting for the Light Cycle :D

Not to beat a dead horse... Complaints about CAN are a little misguided. It's more about the ZFE than CAN. I think BMW could have developed a better method for their customers to hang their electro-farkles without having to add a separate fuseblock, etc. CAN is nothing more than a communication protocol between electronic modules on a vehicle. Hell even H-D's have CAN!

-Pat

The future? I say live it of live with it!

pbarney said:
Not to beat a dead horse... Complaints about CAN are a little misguided. It's more about the ZFE than CAN. I think BMW could have developed a better method for their customers to hang their electro-farkles without having to add a separate fuseblock, etc. CAN is nothing more than a communication protocol between electronic modules on a vehicle. Hell even H-D's have CAN!

-Pat

The future? I say live it of live with it!
Yeah, well, good luck with that. I tried explaining it, I'll tap out and let you give it a go.

mneblett said:
Why? Because you have to go to the effort of installing a bypass for your Battery Tender and other accessories (which should be on a separate fuse box anyways)?

KEEP the CANBus! It has/will enable many integrated functions by allowing disperate components to communicate with one another, while reducing wiring complexity and weight.

Much of the most recent advances -- traction control, electronic cruise control without a separate cruise actuator, GPS integration, latest generation ABS integration with traction control and lean angle sensor, electronically-controlled suspension, use of a multi-controller to operate several systems, rather than a Gold Wing-like proliferation of literally dozens of operating buttons on the bars/tank/fairing, etc., etc. -- would simply not be possible without a CANBus architecture.

And no, CANBus doesn't make the bikes harder to service -- they are still mechanical devices with electrons moving about, and there are only a few things you really *need* a dealer's diagnostic machine for (and even most of these can be handled by aftermarket devices such as the GS-911-- something which is true for both CANBus and non-CANBus electronics-equipped BMWs in the last two decades). If anything, CANBus makes reading codes and narrowing in on a problem easier.

/Rant Mode ON/
I have to say I get pretty tired of the anti-technology cries -- people want lighter, faster, lower cost, lower maintenance, more reliable bikes, but heavens forbid that is achieved with technologies with which they are unfamiliar or uncomfortable.

<snip>

/Rant mode OFF/ :D

Well said MNeblett. :thumb:

I'm still waiting for my built in backwards looking camera and viewing screen as supplement to the mirrors. I applaud technological innovation and look for it in any bike. It's a sign that the manufacturer is awake and with the times. Just look at the demise of the Triumph. They went the way of the DoDo because management did'nt believe in the use of technology to better their product.

That being said I won't sit on a fence waiting for the latest and greatest, up and coming device that is better than sliced bread this week. Although there are hints of a water cooled boxer I fully intend to get a 2011 RT this year and slough off my 2008 model.

Waiting for the next event is like waiting to buy a new PC until the ultimate machine is finally available.

Enjoy and be amazed at the things we see being made in our time. Nostalgia is for old movies and antiques. Nothing wrong with them, but they have their place in the scheme of things.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.