BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2014 R1200RT, 1984 R80RT
65 Posts
Thanks MichiganR80RT,

I did something like that to finally get them out: I raised the arms to their highest and tapped the pin with a hammer till I was able to get a screwdriver on the other side, and eventually a plier on it to simultaneously jiggle the arms and work them with the pliers. They seemed very tight, but eventually came out with the gentle tapping/pulling motion. Like I said earlier: I hope they go back in!

All the steps (left and right side) took most of the day. Mine had an antenna on the right side, so I had to remove that as well. All I have remaining is the headlight module. I have been very careful to put each set of screws in their own baggie, and mark them as needed, taping the baggies to the respective panel. I'm not normally this "organized" but thought it couldn't hurt since for me anyway, this is a multi-day project.

Hopefully I can complete it before the really cold weather comes. and I can focus on installing the ADVmoster LED in the comfort of my house! I am even pondering whether it's worth changing high-beams to LEDs at this point... But so far just pondering...

Thanks for your help!
Scotty
For putting the pins back in you might try using a C-clamp as an improvised press to push the pin in. Use something to protect the arm and head from getting scratched and slowly push the pin in.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Thanks MichiganR80RT,

I did something like that to finally get them out: I raised the arms to their highest and tapped the pin with a hammer till I was able to get a screwdriver on the other side, and eventually a plier on it to simultaneously jiggle the arms and work them with the pliers. They seemed very tight, but eventually came out with the gentle tapping/pulling motion. Like I said earlier: I hope they go back in!

All the steps (left and right side) took most of the day. Mine had an antenna on the right side, so I had to remove that as well. All I have remaining is the headlight module. I have been very careful to put each set of screws in their own baggie, and mark them as needed, taping the baggies to the respective panel. I'm not normally this "organized" but thought it couldn't hurt since for me anyway, this is a multi-day project.

Hopefully I can complete it before the really cold weather comes. and I can focus on installing the ADVmoster LED in the comfort of my house! I am even pondering whether it's worth changing high-beams to LEDs at this point... But so far just pondering...

Thanks for your help!
Scotty
Hey Scotty, Good to see you have figured it out. As you found out you have to raise the windshield to get the pins out.
Unless you are doing a lot of night riding, I would stay away from LED in the High Beams. I use the LED Low Beam just for daytime visibility. Too many critters around at night, besides it taakes away from drinking time 😁

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Unless you are doing a lot of night riding, I would stay away from LED in the High Beams. I use the LED Low Beam just for daytime visibility.
Why stay away from LED high beam? strange advice. My advice is just the opposite. LED High beams are WAY better than the stock halogen. More throw, more width greater infill.

·
Registered
2015 R1200RT
590 Posts
Personally, I don't ride at night often. And even less in an area where I can use high beams. And when I go high beams, my ClearWater Darla's kick on at full intensity. So I just don't need the more light on high beam.
On low beam, it was more a matter of making my low beam a whiter light that matched the Darla's. I didn't like the yellowish tinge of the halogens compared to Darla's. And since I run low almost all the time, I went through 2 by 20k miles. Wanted something longer lasting.
If I ever get to the point of one of my high beams failing, I probably will switch at that time. As long as I'm tearing things apart...

·
Registered
24 Posts
I managed to get the module out and change the bulb to LED.

It took a while, 2 hands and special tools to do this so I don't even know how it could be done using the "reverse-blind" method. Bike is torn down and will reassemble over the next couple of days. Very impressed with brightness and color-temp of the ADVmoster LED!

Thanks everyone for your help!
Scotty

·
Registered
19 Posts
Here you go... I made it so the steps are linked from the Main Page and added a button to return to the Main Page. This is for the Base US Model with Audio System.

UPDATE: If opening in a browser it'll look funny, so download Acrobat if you haven't already.
Where did you buy the repair manual from? I am looking for e e-version myself. Thank you

·
Registered
2018 R1200RT
23 Posts
I made it so the steps are linked from the Main Page and added a button to return to the Main Page
This was a lifesave! I can’t tell you how much I appreciate your assistance and time invested to create the step by step pdf detailing the process. An invaluable, immeasurable resource to say the least.
I was searching for YouTube videos but came up dry.
After spending over half a day attempting to install, futzing around by feel, I took the plunge. Photos attache.
My “new to me“ 2018 RT is only in my possession to scarcely 2 weeks, and wanted to install Cyclops LED bulb, it was slightly unnerving to dive in. I did the same install on my 2006 RT, which was a PITA, but nowhere near a challenging as this bike. Especially when needing to install the huge resistors along with the bulbs.
Thanks again for your assistance.

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 R1200RT
23 Posts
FWIW, in removing the windscreen cover, to “Remove body-bound rivet (2)”, which has an odd head, once the first one was removed, I got the first one out, saw what it looked like, then used a small flat blade screwdriver to back out the “weird screw”. Then it popped right out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
A whole weekend? Crap. Maybe I'll just find a 7 year old kid with good garage skills and have him do it the old fashioned way.😉
Thanks to aquajoe...the photo is very helpful. I will carefully reconsider my lighting needs.
Takes about 4 hours for disassembly and then 4 hours for reassembly - 10 minute for bulb replacement. I've done it twice....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thank you for posting this detailed information.

I tried to change the H7 bulb out without any of this, from the front of the bike, reaching in and under(a.k.a. the reverse/blind method) got the bulb out, then proceeded to drop the adapter ring into the headlight module.
Been there, done that. Removed headlight assembly to retrieve the adapter ring.

·
Registered
2018 R1200RT
501 Posts
Takes about 4 hours for disassembly and then 4 hours for reassembly - 10 minute for bulb replacement. I've done it twice....
umm ... ya forgot about 25 or so hours of "planning, research", and beer swilling while standing back looking at the bike, deciding at which end to start, how long it's gonna take, when to start, and oh yeah, looking for that danged screw that goes missing, no matter how well you've organized the parts when taking them off. Plus, some days or weeks for the broken plastic parts to be delivered, that you break while being "oh so careful" with all the little tabs and nuts. Then there's the re-assembly planning 3 weeks later when you're trying to remember how things that came off the bike, go back on, regardless of how many notes and pictures ya took.

Yep, just an 8 hour job ... for somebody else. 🙄 (Maybe everybody else.) 🙈😖

41 - 53 of 53 Posts