BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After researching various threads about installing LED lamps, I'm ready to take the plunge. I have an '18 RT LC. Having replaced more than my share of hexhead RT lamps on my and riding buddy's bikes, I'd like to remove the headlight assemble and preserve the skin on my fingertips and forearms. I can't seem to find any instructions in the various threads or on YouTube. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I’ve done it myself to replace all three headlamp bulbs. I don’t have instructions for you other than to start by taking the side panels off and going from there. Once you get the speakers out and all of the plastic off, there are retaining clips that hold the headlamp into grommets. This is definitely the easiest way to replace the bulbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
I’ve done it myself to replace all three headlamp bulbs. I don’t have instructions for you other than to start by taking the side panels off and going from there. Once you get the speakers out and all of the plastic off, there are retaining clips that hold the headlamp into grommets. This is definitely the easiest way to replace the bulbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How much total time to take the headlamp assembly out from your experience?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A whole weekend? Crap. Maybe I'll just find a 7 year old kid with good garage skills and have him do it the old fashioned way.:wink:
Thanks to aquajoe...the photo is very helpful. I will carefully reconsider my lighting needs.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
After researching various threads about installing LED lamps, I'm ready to take the plunge. I have an '18 RT LC. Having replaced more than my share of hexhead RT lamps on my and riding buddy's bikes, I'd like to remove the headlight assemble and preserve the skin on my fingertips and forearms. I can't seem to find any instructions in the various threads or on YouTube. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Hopefully this will help.

Attachments

·
Registered
632 Posts
Here you go... I made it so the steps are linked from the Main Page and added a button to return to the Main Page. This is for the Base US Model with Audio System.

UPDATE: If opening in a browser it'll look funny, so download Acrobat if you haven't already.

Attachments

·
Registered
393 Posts
What lights are you going to install or what ones have others installed ?

·
Registered
632 Posts
NOObie RT Gawd

That PDF is brilliant. Used it last weekend to add LED's to my 2014 RT...faultless..

Thanks
Glad to have helped; what LEDs did you use? There was a post by some butthole spelunker who's link to the LEDs he installed was no longer valid.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm ashamed to say I haven't tackled this yet. I will do my own 12K service this coming week with the assistance of Boxflyer's YouTube videos and shop assist for keeping the screws in order. If that goes well, I may tackle the headlight project later with more confidence.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I'm ashamed to say I haven't tackled this yet. I will do my own 12K service this coming week with the assistance of Boxflyer's YouTube videos and shop assist for keeping the screws in order. If that goes well, I may tackle the headlight project later with more confidence.
I personally think his method of screw-keeping was a little much; I simply use masking tape to keep the screw in its proper location.

The 12K service is easier than you might think. Just make sure you have a good torque wrench and feeler gauges.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts