BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went for a 350/k today here is southern Ontario, weather was nice but when I got back a little thingee was in the LCD read out that I never saw before? A circle with a dot.? Could not figure out what it meant until I got in front of the Timmy’s where I stopped for coffee. I had a head light out.
Now, what do I order? I think I have the high out put lamps but nor sure.
Automotive store or BMW? That is the question… :confused:

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
To to the auto store and get a H7 bulb.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great! thanx... H7 it is... :dance:

·
Registered
737 Posts
This would be a good time to replace both the low beam bulbs with Osram Silverstars. You'll notice the difference the first time you ride in the dark.

ADDED: you might check your tires. Your sig line says they're Michelin Road pilots. Michelin doesn't have "Road Pilots" They have Pilot Road Series tires like the PR2 or PR3

·
Registered
737 Posts
Yes. All three are H7/12V/55W bulbs. The difference in output between high and low is in the reflector design. Cutoffs for low beams - open bulb for high.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good Morning… I have updated my page and changed to PR2s. I also changed all three lamps with Silver Star bulbs. And why not change all three at the same time, just makes good sense. :dance:

·
Registered
737 Posts
You'll like them. No reason not to change all of them. I just didn't because between my PIAAs and the WARN HID's the high beam on the bike disappears pretty fast. No reason to buy something that won't improve light

One caveat. A friend put in Silverstars and was pretty unhappy with the cast pattern. He removed them and put the OEM's back in. He was still unhappy, claiming "something" screwed up the way his light now worked.

Since I was standing at his bike listening to him, I casually glanced at his bulbs from the outside. Turns out when he installed the ones that were in there then, the OEMs, he carelessly installed them so the bulb capsule was pointed down and touching the metal shield at the bottom of the bulb. He unsnapped the retainer clips and got them set in there straight and even in daylight against a wall - the cut-off was back and the light was bright.

Hadn't heard from him since then about the bulbs but suspect he went home and put the Silverstars back in - correctly this time and is probably happy with them.

EDIT: I need a proof reader

·
Registered
472 Posts
"One cravat"

Isn't that the French word for necktie? What's that got to do with R1200RT headlamps?
I think I owe the HS French teacher for the vocab!

·
Registered
737 Posts
Yes, it is. Obviously, I want everyone to go choke themselves.

Take note of the EDIT in my post. In an effort to correct spelling and verbiage, my smell chekker decided I meant "French necktie" in stead of "Watch it, you can blow this one" or to use the correct verbiage "caveat".

Fixed.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
GRB60 said:
"One cravat"

Isn't that the French word for necktie? What's that got to do with R1200RT headlamps?
I think I owe the HS French teacher for the vocab!
Methinks Steve meant "caveat". You can thank your HS French teacher for "cravat", but I can thank any number of attorneys I've worked with for "caveat".

JayJay

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Interesting reading to say the least, how a topic can run a muck…. :histerica
My wife is french Canadian and I tess her all the time :rotf:

·
Registered
311 Posts
I hate to drag this back on topic, but I have a question. Did you remove any plastic to get to the right side light? I had my left one go out a few weeks ago and I happened to be at the dealer. I bought the bulb and the service director just switched it out for me in a few minutes without writing a ticket on it.

Last week, the right one went out and I decided to do it myself. The service director had mentioned that the left one was a lot easier than the right. Yeesh! that thing sucked! Getting it unclipped and untangled was bad enough but getting it back in was a friggin' nightmare. I didn't take off any plastic and was just reaching my skinny arm into the back of the fairing. I still have bruises on my arm from all the twisting contortions.

It bugs me because the bulb doesn't look perfectly straight in the slot. Its close and I couldn't get it any better but I swear, its ever so slightly off center. Fortunately, it doesn't look like this has affected the beam pattern. I sure as hell am not going back in any time soon to upgrade that bulb. I'm actually hoping the bike is stolen before I ever have to do that again. LOL.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
It's a lot easier (or a lot less difficult, depending on whether you're a half-glass full or half-glass empty type) to change the bulbs if you remove the dash panel plastic. This requires removal of both upper side pieces, the windshield, and the dash panel. And any dash-mounted farkles. But that opens up the area so you can at least see what you're doing.

And (as Cliffy found out) you should do both sides as long as you're in the neighborhood. I had my left burn out, pulled the plastic, and replaced it. Three weeks later the right burned out, so same thing all over. I should have replaced both while I was there.

And on another note - I've noticed that a lot of the higher-output bulbs seem to get that output at the tradeoff of reduced life. The bulbs are so difficult to replace that I decided to stay with standard H7 with the longer predicted life. The higher output (e.g., Silverstar) promise about half the life. However, as I mentioned in another thread, lack of light on the streets isn't really a problem here in my section of California. Those of you who ride in more rural environments may have different priorities for lighting.

JayJay

·
Registered
14 Posts
To change the light bulbs I do not take off any plastic or panels. I kneel down in front of the bike facing the headlight. With my right hand I reach up from the bottom of the fairing and insert the bulb into the reflector. Also: I put a little loop of shrink tube on the posts of the bulb to hold onto it. Once the spring clip is back on the bulb, I pull the shrink tube off the bulb posts and re-hook the wires. A couple of times of practice and the process goes very smooth. Changing a bulb can be done in a matter of moments, on the side of the road and with no tools. Remember not to touch the glass on the bulb with your fingers as that shortens the life of the bulb. (I have an 05 RT. and have done this MANY times.) I hope this helps.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Ok Mario, you're my new bestest friend. Just have to check to make sure I have the right size heat shrink.

I don't take any plastic off. Left side is pretty easy. Right side, I crank the wheel to the right on the center stand, use my left hand to open the plastic cap, turn around and use my right hand to unplug, unclip and remove the old bulb, carefull put the new on in and then go to the front to look how it's sitting, make any adjustment - still with my right hand and me facing teh back of the bike - then clip it in again - hardest, longest part of the whole deal, then plug the connector back on, turn around and usign my kleft, twist the cover back on. Pain in the butt but works for me.

Now that I have Mario's method, I'm going to try it in teh next day or so and if it works like he says - that's how I'll do it from now on. Considering how larger your arms are Mario, this has GOT to work good for my skinny arms.

Thanks.....bestest friend.... :)

BTW - the set of top and tights I ordered got here fast - thanks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I gonna try the shrink tubing trick next time I have to change-out lamps. I also found removing the mirror on the R-H side and looking thru the hole behind the mirror really helped to line up the lamp into the hole.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
It can be a pain but I read a article about the new VFR and you would not believe what it takes to change a bulb on that!
Shop time was around 4 hours!
I feel lucky now..... :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts