BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on lowering my 2009 RT using Wilbers shocks. For those who have done this does the bike still handle great or are there major compromises?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Never mind, I got my answer from another forum. Others state the bike handles great and the only downside may be the bank angle is not as sharp. I'm not a real aggressive rider so think this does not play in to it for me.

MOD since there is no interest in this thread feel free to delete it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have a factory lowered 2010 RT which I put just shy of 6k miles on last year. I've seen no issues with handling on the lowered bike and have not dragged any hard bits. Then again, I've never ridden a standard for comparison.

·
Registered
729 Posts
WimStang said:
Never mind, I got my answer from another forum. Others state the bike handles great and the only downside may be the bank angle is not as sharp. I'm not a real aggressive rider so think this does not play in to it for me.

MOD since there is no interest in this thread feel free to delete it.
I'm interested I just don't have an answer for you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I lowered mine 1.5" with a set of Hyperpros.
Handling seems fine.
Sharper bumps feel a little harsher, but nothing to complain about yet.
I am actually having the most trouble figuring out how much to shorten the side and center stands to make the bike lean properly. I bought the factory shorter stands for the lowered suspension bikes, but they did not lower them 1.5", so they are still too long. I don't want to risk overshortening, so I am seeking guidance on how much to cut.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Call Jim at Nick's BMW and he can help with that as I am having him lower mine 1.5" and he will take care of the stands. Great guy to work with. (920) 347-9144

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have the HyperPros as well, lowered 0.5". You'd think that that little amount would not mess up the sidestand, but indeed it makes the bike stand just shy of 90 degrees. I always looked for a slope on which I could park, just to make sure it had some lean. I haven't gotten the sidestand shortened, but will.

I can't imagine lowering 1.5" and being able to use the stock sidestand except on a good slope.

Just my experience in this arena...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts