BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend (motorcyclist, retired, engineering background) has designed and fabricated what I would describe as a rack extension for the rack of 2014-20 RT/GS and any other BMW that shares that OEM rack. He is wondering whether to make more or finish up after the 4 he has made and sold to friends. He currently has his last one advertised for sale on an Australian community notice board web site. Here.
All up (rack + freight to say California USA) the American dollar price for this last one (?) would be around US$235.
He says that if there was enough interest he would take this on as a retirement hobby though the price would have to go up to closer to US$400 (rack + US freight) for him to get a fair return on his 6 hours of labour & materials.
I have no financial interest in this venture and I’ve already got my rack extension at a very good (some would say exploitative) price. Anyone interested have a look and take it from there.

Ian

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
A friend (motorcyclist, retired, engineering background) has designed and fabricated what I would describe as a rack extension for the rack of 2014-20 RT/GS and any other BMW that shares that OEM rack. He is wondering whether to make more or finish up after the 4 he has made and sold to friends. . . . . . . Ian
Thanks for that . . . . but it's a tady too spendy for me.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I like the idea of a rack enlarger, but that is one ugly piece of ironwork. It would need some significant improvement before I'd pay over £100 for that.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I like the idea of a rack enlarger, but that is one ugly piece of ironwork. It would need some significant improvement before I'd pay over £100 for that.
Lol. I didn’t want to bring up the hideous factor, but yeah, it’s probably the ugliest thing I’ve ever seen on an RT.

And I just don’t see the point of having a platform that large on the back of a bike... unless you live in Asia...

·
Registered
284 Posts
Here is one I had built 5 years ago. It fits in around 5 mins and just clamps on, it can not be over tightened and is rock solid. It is 40cm wide by 28cm depth, so is only really a platform to allow more support and to lash a bag too. But it was a one off made by a fabricating workshop and cost a bomb, but it is a well made piece of kit.

·
Registered
2017 R1200RT
281 Posts
Here's one I built for my 2017 RT that is a little wider and deeper... I added a couple of footmens loops at the back (each side) for my Rox straps.

Drilled a hole in the middle so the emblem would show through when the rack was empty.

Sammy

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
893 Posts
Here's one I built for my 2017 RT that is a little wider and deeper... I added a couple of footmens loops at the back (each side) for my Rox straps.

Drilled a hole in the middle so the emblem would show through when the rack was empty.

Sammy

Now THAT is a nice looking rack! (y)

·
Registered
55 Posts

Sammy

That looks like it came from the factory, very nice indeed.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts

That is much better. It looks very professional.

·
Registered
284 Posts

Sammy

Now that looks really nice. Is it quick release and is mounted without any drilling of the original rack. I needed one that could be removed within 5 mins and the top box refitted. I use mine for Blood Biking in the UK, so didn't want anything that was a permanent fixture :)

·
Registered
2017 R1200RT
281 Posts
Yes, quick release with no drilling or mods to the bike rack. I used the quick release mechanism from a K1600 passenger backrest and mounted my rack/top with it.

Sammy

·
Registered
893 Posts
Yes, quick release with no drilling or mods to the bike rack. I used the quick release mechanism from a K1600 passenger backrest and mounted my rack/top with it.

Sammy

If you get bored and make more of them .... I'm in !! (y)

·
Registered
284 Posts

Sammy

That is a really nice job, when I was looking there was nothing on the market, reckon you could market those

·
Registered
2 Posts
When I saw the title of the post "Rack Extension" I hoped it was something different. As a solo rider with back issues, I thought it would be ideal to have a rack system that allowed the top box to slide forward over the passenger seat and provide a backrest for the driver. An added benefit would be some helpful mass centralization of the heavy top box. The engineering and fabrication for that project would be beyond my capabilities. Currently, I am close to completion of a driver's backrest. Since I don't carry a passenger, I mounted the back rest using the forward mounting points of the grab handles on either side of the passenger seat. The pad for the backrest will be adjustable fore and aft via a modified quick clamp. I hope it helps on my upcoming Sturgis trip. Bakup makes a drivers backrest for the R1250RT but it couldn't have been delivered in time for my trip and they are very expensive at $427.

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bandytales
"I like the idea of a rack enlarger, but that is one ugly piece of ironwork."
Yango
" I didn’t want to bring up the hideous factor, but yeah, it’s probably the ugliest thing I’ve ever seen on an RT."
GSinNC
"Now that is a nice looking rack!"

When the rack enlarger is fitted to the bike and loaded up you can't see it, and when it's not loaded up because it's not fitted you can't see it. I can't see the problem.

Ian

·
Registered
893 Posts
When the rack enlarger is fitted to the bike and loaded up you can't see it, and when it's not loaded up because it's not fitted you can't see it. I can't see the problem.

Ian
Well have to agree. That is a great point.... if you only install the rack when traveling the ugly is invisible. Much like a top box that you only install when traveling. Very good point. 😉

1 - 19 of 19 Posts