BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Rt front caliper

727 views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Pstrman 
#1 ·
Started leaking today. Ive been looking for a caliper kit but haven't found one. is there one or is it better to just buy a used one? Guess I should note its an 03 :))

#2 ·
I haven't checked BBY but there is a caliper repair kit available from Max BMW or likely any authorized dealer.
If I have the integral ABS part right.
34 11 7 721 664 SET: REPAIR BRAKE CALIPER - D=32/36MM (from 01/01) 0.25 1 $126.90

Just want to be sure it isn't a brake line. Have the original rubber lines already been replaced with Stainless braided the likes of Spiegler?

Attachments

#10 ·
Those lines would be suspect of leaking or bursting so they should be replaced with some superior product like Spiegler stainless braided. I have not heard of many calipers leaking but it certainly is possible. That single caliper kit is half the cost of a new Spiegler line set for the entire bike. Would be a shame to have to do both if it was just a line leak.

Good luck checking that out.
yup brake line. thank you.

Can't think of a better example of the VALUE of joining this forum. Good luck with your new (to you) BMW!:smile:

#4 ·
Those lines would be suspect of leaking or bursting so they should be replaced with some superior product like Spiegler stainless braided. I have not heard of many calipers leaking but it certainly is possible. That single caliper kit is half the cost of a new Spiegler line set for the entire bike. Would be a shame to have to do both if it was just a line leak.

Good luck checking that out.

#8 ·
IF these are the black Rubber brake hoses ...AND.. If you do not have documented history that these were replaced at a certain point within last 5 years,
THEN replace all of these with a Spiegler kit for Front + Back (braided brake hoses).

I would NOT do ONE more mile before this is done. All of these factory black rubber brake hoses have failed within a period age of 8 to 12 years. In some case, at the worst possible moment.... in a few cases the internal damage (collapsing) has caused the brake to stay jammed after application.

If one has failed, any other of these hoses is subject to the same.... choose how / when you spend your money, but this is your life ;-)

Reactions: Temesvar
#7 ·
If that is the cost of the new Spiegler line set, consider it a safety investment as you DO NOT want one to burst when you need it most.

Pricing out the individual replacement rubber lines from the dealer, I came up with $455 so that is a deal and far superior.

Reactions: Voyager
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.