BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Notice how the panniers help keep the CG toward the tires making it easier to lift.

I once had a H-D Roadking. Riding one summer day down an old New England back road I was met by an extremely steep pitch down about 15 yards to the T style intersection. I grabbed the front brake just as my front wheel rode up onto of a flattened yogurt cup left in the street. Once on the plastic cup the front wheel lost traction with the street and locked on top of the cup. This caused the wheel to stop spinning and skid along on top of the cup for about 10 yards as I was putting my feet down. It happened so fast that I didn't know what was going on and the front end washed out at about 5mph. I ended up on the crash bars which held the painted surfaces off the road and also let you easily lift the bike onto its wheels as it wasn't completely flat on its side.

I hope I never have to test that theory on the RT

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
ducatirdr said:
Notice how the panniers help keep the CG toward the tires making it easier to lift.

I once had a H-D Roadking. Riding one summer day down an old New England back road I was met by an extremely steep pitch down about 15 yards to the T style intersection. I grabbed the front brake just as my front wheel rode up onto of a flattened yogurt cup left in the street. Once on the plastic cup the front wheel lost traction with the street and locked on top of the cup. This caused the wheel to stop spinning and skid along on top of the cup for about 10 yards as I was putting my feet down. It happened so fast that I didn't know what was going on and the front end washed out at about 5mph. I ended up on the crash bars which held the painted surfaces off the road and also let you easily lift the bike onto its wheels as it wasn't completely flat on its side.

I hope I never have to test that theory on the RT
I would think the anti-lock brakes would help.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:cool:
Ponch said:
Hey Ponch,
Yes, I saw those videos a couple months ago. The RT is amazing, the other 2 bikes do not even get closer to the RT. In the second video he did not have anything negative to say about the bike, but he said that inflating the tire is pain and also that the rain gets on the instruments. Whatever! Some guys, you know!

I got this one for you to look at

http://www.2wheels.co.za/youtube_vid.php?id=23082010111605

Enjoy and Thank you for the videos

·
Registered
391 Posts
Great videos---thank you for the postings.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts