BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks.
I'm new to this forum. I have a 2011 R1200RT with Audio system.
I bought the BMW audio Y cable to connect my Apple iPhone 5 to the audio system via USB and 3.5mm audio cable.

It works for a while, but eventually it will stop, and I'll get NO USB message on the bike display. Sometimes after trying to select a playlist (BMW1, BMW2 etc.) I only have MP3 files in the directories.
Sometimes while parked with the engine off, it will run until the 10 minute timeout.

Anyone else have this experience?

Anyone else in my area that has a cable that we can swap and prove if my cable is defective?

Are there any software updates available for the BMW audio system that may address this problem?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Sorry to read about your difficulties.

While I know nothing about the audio system on 2011 bikes, it may not matter.

I think you said it was a BMW cable. If the use you are putting it to is "authorized"... meaning it is not a kludge operation... take it back to the dealer or parts provider. Ask for a replacement.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Same problem here, no good results. I have the 2012 RT and I've tried everything I can find to try. Bought the BMW cable, worst $80 I ever spent. Took it back because I actually already had the $12 one you can find on Ebay or pretty much any where else on line. As a cable side note, the 'cheap' one I bought and the BMW approved one both had the same part # on them! This makes sense when you stop to realize that BMW is probably not cable making business and just charges a pile-o-money to put it in one of their bags. At any rate, they both worked the same. Eventually (10 minutes or so), I get the 'No USB' error message and the music stops.

I took my bike back to the dealer with my complaint, they did a firmware update, same results. The error message always returned regardless of which Ipod or cable I used. Finally just got fed up with the whole thing and stopped trying. I already had the Sirius radio running and ran out of patients with the whole USB thing. As fate would have it I was at the dealer the other day and asked again about any software updates and if BMW had fixed the problem yet. They had no answer. The response was that they could plug it in and check for more software updates and that might fix it, might not. No way of knowing without hooking it up, checking for and installing any updates. A process that will cost me an additional $50 with no guarantee of fixing the issue! They can't even tell me if there are any updates at all without going through this 'service'. (If I had been a bit smarter and on the ball I would have taken it in before March when my warranty ran out, would've been free then).

So since I have recall issues anyway, I'm going to give it one more try with the firmware/software update but that's it. If it doesn't work this time I'll just spend the rest of my life knowing that except for this one issues, I have the perfect bike. Damn shame they can't seem to get this right in the 21st century, that's my story....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mine does the same thing. After an hour or two stops working. Have the cheap cable and the BMW cable. Both are the same. If I shut bike off for a minute or two everything works again for a while. 2012 R1200rt

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
That was a common problem on the 2012 K1600, which has the same audio system. I switched to an iPod Nano, which helped, but did not completely fix the problem. The Nano has solid state drive vs disk. The problem went away when I sold the 1600 and bought a 2014 RT. Some people said that a software update fixed the problem with the 1600, or at least improved it. Many used thumb drive to work around the problem. Sucks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Is the software on your iPhone up to date? I'm using the $25 Amazon cable and I get the "NO USB" when it's time for the phone to be updated. So far, the updating the phone software has fixed the problem. I still get it every once in awhile, meaning once every 6,000 miles or so, with the up to date software, but nothing like I do when it's outdated.

Also, when it stops playing and says "NO USB", I can switch the source on the bike to "AUX" and the music is still playing, just can't changed sings with the magic wheel on the handlebars. It's not ideal, but it prevents me from having to stop the ride just to restart my music, I just wait until I need gas.

One more thing: if it says "NO USB" and the music is not playing when you switch it to "AUX", try rebooting the phone by holding the power button and the main button. When that happens to me the phone usually tells me that the port can't run more than one device. Resetting the phone fixes it without changing any settings or data on the phone.

I have an iPhone 5 and a 2013 RT.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I have the same problem on my 2014 RT. Intermittent loss of USB. Dealer has no clue. Must be an inherent bug in the ointment.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I found that the USB is loose on a couple thumb drives I tried and it would sometimes not see that it was there. The exact same message would show. I switched drives and have had no problem since. I believe the cheap $2.00 drives that I get from work are the problem I had. I don't know if you can slightly compress the steel jacket a little so it holds tighter and keeps pressure on the contacts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts