BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to put the bike back on the road but wanted to install PIAA lights first. Has anyone installed an Autoswitch on a 2010?
Cheers
Peter

·
Registered
270 Posts
Never heard of a autoswitch, the piaas come with their own relay and switch, I hook mine up so I can determine when I want them on or off. If you follow Piaas instructions you will hook the driving light up so you can only turn them on when the low beams are on. I like being able to turn them on when I want them on. Kieth

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Keith, sorry that I did not explain fully. The autoswitch is a solid state device which can be wired to (for example) the turn signal cancel button. The lights can then be turned on or off by pressing and holding the button. I used one on my LT and it worked great. I do not have any experience with CAN-BUS wiring and the bike switches are different on the 2010s. Before I go charging ahead, I thought I should check to see if anyone had been successful.

I suppose the better question would be has anyone been successful on any of the CAN-BUS bikes.

Cheers
Peter

·
Registered
131 Posts
Peter, I fitted some Auxiliary Lights to my 05 RT thro an Autoswitch and the Canbus system does not like it. The computer shuts the power on mine off for a second and then comes back on but by this time the lights have gone out.
I have spent a lot of time on various sites trying to find a solution to this problem and alot of people have given me constructive advice as to what might be wrong, but so far the problem still exists.
I also would be intrested to know if anyone has been successful with the Autoswitch and the Canbus system.

Attachments

·
Registered
472 Posts
This doesn't answer the question you asked, but I found what I think to be a good switch location on the clutch lever bracket. Photo attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input. I've also read elsewhere that Autoswitch doesn't work on CAN-BUS bikes. The manufacturer's site seemed to offer some hope but at least now I know a good place to mount the switch.
Cheers
Peter

·
Registered
81 Posts
First, Autoswitch does work on a 2011 R1200RT. Sorry that I can't give you wiring details because the wizards at Bob's did the trick before delivery. But I do know that Step One -- put a real fuze box in so that you aren't running the lights on the Bus. My MotoLights turn on like magic when I hold the turn signal cancel button down.

Jim

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's good news Jim. Thanks! Unfortunately, the dealership here is no help at all and it will be a very cold day in a very warm place before they ever touch the electrics again. I cannot find a local supplier for the Autoswitch. If you could conveniently find the model number of the switch for me, I will try to order one from the States.

Cheers
Peter

·
Registered
39 Posts
MTRREF said:
First, Autoswitch does work on a 2011 R1200RT. Sorry that I can't give you wiring details because the wizards at Bob's did the trick before delivery. But I do know that Step One -- put a real fuze box in so that you aren't running the lights on the Bus. My MotoLights turn on like magic when I hold the turn signal cancel button down.

Jim
Hi Jim

I am trying to get an autoswitch on my 2011 RT but the diagrams which come along with the autoswitch are not very helpful and neither are the guys at autoswitch.

dinku

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'll try to spend some quality time with the mechanic who installed my Autoswitch to find out which wire he used as the trigger (Turn Signal Cancel). The rest of it is all external to the bike -- direct battery connections through something like a Centech AP-1 -- ZERO CAN-BUS involvement.

Here is a really good sketch of an CAN-BUS Autoswitch installation -- http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=28152. You're wire code MAY be different.

Jim

·
Registered
39 Posts
MTRREF said:
I'll try to spend some quality time with the mechanic who installed my Autoswitch to find out which wire he used as the trigger (Turn Signal Cancel). The rest of it is all external to the bike -- direct battery connections through something like a Centech AP-1 -- ZERO CAN-BUS involvement.

Here is a really good sketch of an CAN-BUS Autoswitch installation -- http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=28152. You're wire code MAY be different.

Jim
Thank you very much Jim

dinku

·
Registered
81 Posts
MTRREF said:

Jim
I did send some time with one of the wiring wizards at Bob's last Saturday. The installed Autoswitch on my new bike is one of the new CAN Bus friendly switches. BMW may be modifying the wire colors so the Autoswitch directions may not be accurate, but the direction do give a pin number on the plug going into the control unit (Pin #8?). Anyway, following the directions and concentrating on the pin number will probably lead to success. On pre-CAN bikes, the Cancel switch put a "ground" on the line; these bikes, and this Autoswitch, look for a slight change in state to do the Cancel and Switching thing -- sort of like a partial ground.

Now I've told you more than I really know -- sure hope this limited information doesn't screw anyone up.

Jim

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the info Jim. The Autoswitch website lists the AS7 as their latest version but their ebay page lists the AS6B as the latest and greatest along with a note that it probably only works reliably on 40% of newer can-bus bikes. I think I will install my 1100s with a switch and once I have them working correctly try to get an AS7 shipped here.
Ride Safe
Peter

1 - 14 of 14 Posts