BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

RS mirrors on LT

3K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  cws 
#1 ·
I was not in favor of adding these mirrors previously.
I have grown used to sitting and adjusting the fairing mirrors. Now that I am 3 years into my new bike and replenished the level of green in my pockets I am thinking of venturing out with the RS handle mounted mirrors. I have seen them in a few threads before. But never actually on the streets.
1. For those who actually have them what is the extent/ improved range of coverage.
2. Do they interfere with or come in contact with the windshield at a gas fill-up. (the rt one ) or does the stock shield have to be replaced (more money which I hope not)
Are they widely popular with those of you with LT bloodlines much longer than mine. Help/advice.
ride safe :bmw:

#2 ·
Here's what I went through to obtain and install them (click) includes a pic, part no's and good advice (at the end) from Ari on a better way to make your own nuts to make the install easier. The right one is very difficult to get a standard nut tight, the OEM nuts are extra long, and expensive (for a nut).

Benefits... I wanted them for 2 reasons..
i) had a scare when I missed seeing a car approaching very quickly on my left with the standard mirrors as I was about to change lanes... and I had the lady on the back and she got quite scared by it... nervous enough as it was.
The different viewing position of the RS mirrors took care of that blind spot.
ii) Was planning to embark on a long trip towing a trailer, and with the extra mirrors I could see the road and cars in the RS's, and the trailer with the standard mirrors.

Sometimes I look at the setup and think, 4 mirrors looks weird, but then I forget that and just enjoy riding with the improved rear vision.

.... and they don't touch the windscreen, no problem there. I have a V-stream on the bike.

You won't regret getting them.
cheers!

#3 ·
billsmith said:
I was not in favor of adding these mirrors previously.
I have grown used to sitting and adjusting the fairing mirrors. Now that I am 3 years into my new bike and replenished the level of green in my pockets I am thinking of venturing out with the RS handle mounted mirrors. I have seen them in a few threads before. But never actually on the streets.
1. For those who actually have them what is the extent/ improved range of coverage.
2. Do they interfere with or come in contact with the windshield at a gas fill-up. (the rt one ) or does the stock shield have to be replaced (more money which I hope not)
Are they widely popular with those of you with LT bloodlines much longer than mine. Help/advice.
RS mirrors are the way to go. They correct the design deficiency of the stock mirrors. I got them because of the huge blind spots designed in by BMW. How the TUV let this go I'll never understand. They are especially useful towing a trailer. They fit and work perfectly. Use the stock expensive nuts and you will have no installation problems at all.
Robert

#5 ·
I have RS mirrors too - I use the fairing mirrors for the blind spot, and the RS ones are set to see directly behind - gives me a wider field of view than just the standard ones (and neatly bungs up the holes in the switchgear ;) ). I'm using the original nuts and, as Scouter-50 says, no problems installing them,

#7 ·
cws said:
Here's what I went through to obtain and install them (click) includes a pic,

Benefits... I wanted them for 2 reasons..
i) had a scare when I missed seeing a car approaching very quickly on my left with the standard mirrors as I was about to change lanes... and I had the lady on the back and she got quite scared by it... nervous enough as it was.
The different viewing position of the RS mirrors took care of that blind spot.

Sometimes I look at the setup and think, 4 mirrors looks weird, but then I forget that and just enjoy riding with the improved rear vision.

.... and they don't touch the windscreen, no problem there. I have a V-stream on the bike.

cheers!
Thanks Chris.
This is exactly the input I was seeking. You made 2 very good point though I don't have a trailer in mind at the moment, your first point hits home. I too was surprised by a vehicle on the left. Quick picture: interstate merging 3 lanes to 2. I was in the 3rd lane ( the one diminishing) checked my rear view and moved over to the right #2. Next thing I know is a car passing me on the left in the no more existent lane. The scare is not being passed. What got me is I still don't know where it came from.
Since it happened some time back and not knowing how to correct this until I stumbled on a thread about fairing mirrors as opposed to the RS ones I still had no idea if it would work for me. I still have not seen any on the street.

#8 ·
Scouter-50 said:
RS mirrors are the way to go. They correct the design deficiency of the stock mirrors. I got them because of the huge blind spots designed in by BMW. How the TUV let this go I'll never understand. They are especially useful towing a trailer. They fit and work perfectly. Use the stock expensive nuts and you will have no installation problems at all.
Robert
Thanks to you also Robert.
Even though I have been riding a shade under 40 years design and tech details I'm still a novice. So the holes in the clutch and brake assemblies were intended for mirrors. So my only question is what happened :confused:
Owned just 3 bikes but have ridden others. My first a Kawasaki 1000 with a shaft, added a Vetter fairing with speakers radio/tape player and tail rack. Don't laugh but my ghetto mod back then was high tech, the bike was burgundy/red and I mounted a blue suitcase with bungees on the chrome luggage rack. I mention this because my mirrors were on the handle bar, my wife was riding shotgun and I was able to see everything in the back of me all the way to Royals stadium in Kansas City. My Goldwing was my first taste of fairing mirrors so I did not think it strange to follow that with the LT and its fairing mirrors.
OK one more question do all the LT's have those holes or just the newer ones. If your answer is yes what are the Germans waiting on . . .

#9 ·
The holes are there because they used the same controls on the LT that they use on other models (like the RS).

I too used the stock mirrows without issue for a long time but finally went to the RS mirrors. Now I only use the old mirrors to monitor the tires on my Bushtec trailer as that is all they are good for now.

#10 ·
Thanks for everyone input.
Now I know what I want I will set about doing it. Since I am no wrencher I will just buy the pair including the hardware. The extra bucks should only reassure a good install. Still wish I had seen one but from the threads I prefer the oval ones. I think A&S cycles were mentioned any others suggestions. Thanks again gentlemen I'll be looking in the rear view mirror.

#11 ·
cws said:
Here's what I went through to obtain and install them ([url="http://www.bmwlt.com/forums

cheers!
I still have the stock windshield.
Would it matter. You have the V-Stream is that choice or necessity. When I gas up my front wheel is at 11o'clock so I notice my right bar controls are close not touching.
Which part of those beautiful pictures looks weird. I like . . . I like I had a Tow truck with semi-trailer like mirrors that I really fell for and they did the job most important.

#12 ·
jzeiler said:
The holes are there because they used the same controls on the LT that they use on other models (like the RS).

I too used the stock mirrows without issue for a long time but finally went to the RS mirrors. Now I only use the old mirrors to monitor the tires on my Bushtec trailer as that is all they are good for now.
John glad you chimed in.
You have improved my knowledge 10 fold. I guess that is a one size fits all tech idea. I could stop questioning the Germans. Plus I keep getting all the answers on this forum . . . GREAT
Do you still have a stock shield or am I worrying about nothing.

#13 ·
billsmith said:
I still have the stock windshield.
Would it matter. You have the V-Stream is that choice or necessity. When I gas up my front wheel is at 11o'clock so I notice my right bar controls are close not touching.
Which part of those beautiful pictures looks weird. I like . . . I like I had a Tow truck with semi-trailer like mirrors that I really fell for and they did the job most important.
I went for a V-stream to get better airflow over the stock short Euro screen that came on mine. They are polycarbonate (like the OEM) and can take a thump. The bike flipped onto its right side 2 years ago and hit hard enough to break the windshield motor arm and the plastic surround, but not a scratch on the screen... it just flexed and went back to normal.

The mirrors miss the screen by a country mile... :)

Left mirror, full right lock... windscreen in fully down position

Right mirror, full left lock

#14 ·
billsmith said:
John glad you chimed in.
You have improved my knowledge 10 fold. I guess that is a one size fits all tech idea. I could stop questioning the Germans. Plus I keep getting all the answers on this forum . . . GREAT
Do you still have a stock shield or am I worrying about nothing.
I have run the V-stream, Euro and stock tall all with no issues. Oh and I might add the RS mirrors are break away. Mine fell over on the right side from the side stand (70 MPH winds) and hit a truck step on that side. The mirror just moved out of harms way and did not break.

#15 ·
cws said:
I went for a V-stream to get better airflow over the stock short Euro screen that came on mine. They are polycarbonate (like the OEM) and can take a thump. The bike flipped onto its right side 2 years ago and hit hard enough to break the windshield motor arm and the plastic surround, but not a scratch on the screen... it just flexed and went back to normal.

The mirrors miss the screen by a country mile... :)

Left mirror, full right lock... windscreen in fully down position

Right mirror, full left lock

I see grip puppies on your LT and some form of wind screen for the grips. What is that?

#16 ·
pauleknight said:
I see grip puppies on your LT and some form of wind screen for the grips. What is that?
Grip puppies... love em.
The handguards are to help stop rain and cold winds (when it gets cold) getting to my fingers.
While the heated grips are good when its really cold, I still find the tips & tops of my fingers getting sore/numb.. so rather than having heated gloves which are pretty impractical down here or those bulky mits, I made up some handguards...

#17 ·
+ 2
I was getting ready ask about the hand guards. You are right even with the heated grips finger tips and back of knuckles still get cold. My thinsulate gloves are too heavy too get the full effect of the heat grips and the lighter riding gloves with very little padding in the palms does nothing for the back of hands.
And I must say those close ups revealed more than you probably intended. I see you have your Gopro on your shelf over the cockpit. I was thinking of a bar mount on the back of my newly installed mirrors.

#18 ·
always happy to share ideas and tips.... I get most of mine from the forum, and am very grateful for it!

#19 ·
Thanks for all the help fellers.
Mission accomplished. I picked up my mirrors yesterday and did a 10 minute install maybe less. I did not drop anything (nut of washer) and had to find my 6mm allen key. I got the right side started like was suggested by holding the nut in place and turning the mirror a couple times. I used the washers on the nut side. So I am all good and thanks again for all the advice.
John . . . heads up on the break aways and does not even come close to the windshield so I could stop the worry.
It looks good to me what you think anyone. Now all I have to do is ride/adjust.

Attachments

#21 ·
cws said:
Grip puppies... love em.
The handguards are to help stop rain and cold winds (when it gets cold) getting to my fingers.
While the heated grips are good when its really cold, I still find the tips & tops of my fingers getting sore/numb.. so rather than having heated gloves which are pretty impractical down here or those bulky mits, I made up some handguards...

So are those homemade , err handmade?

is this you?

http://s128.beta.photobucket.com/user/cws127/library/K1200LT - hand guards for winter

I have never seen handguards for an LT before... interesting idea..

#22 ·
yep, thats me... an idea born from a need that wasn't met by available products (thread)
actually the ones in the pics are my v1 guards..., kept the colder air off a little but not the rain, so I made a v2 which curves over more at the top, which are the ones in the pics above.
Tony (deputy5211) scored the original ones, though I've not heard if he's tried them yet (wake up Tony! :rolleyes: )

Pain in the arse to make... I did try to make a mould but the shape wasn't quite right, and the end product needed some added manipulation (brute force) and extra fibreglass to get it to nearly the right shape.
Another couple of months till it gets cold down here again and I really see if they help.. although I do know they help keep the rain off. :)

#25 ·
pauleknight said:
What do your pictures/video look like from that camera perch?
Is it there permanently or do you move it to other locations? Satisfactory results I would not know until my riding season a couple months hence. It has been a collection of ideas for me also on this forum most of which I can't duplicate, wish I could though.

#26 ·
I use that every time I ride as a "crash cam" just in case, eg click..... its protected from the weather there too (I use a skeleton case)
There's a recent thread somewhere about positions, look in Photography I think..
Cleanest and most stable position I've found is just in front of the windscreen, the adhesive pads WILL come off the paintwork with care.
My mount point is a bit wobbly now, it just needs some extra padding but its been there for about 3 years and done many km's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.