BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The RS mirrors arrived today. They are the oval style, not the round ("Mickey Mouse") style; they are temp-fitted on the handlebars and do not impact my Cee Bailey #2 w/wings. (There was some concern posted previously about this; no issue whatsoever.)

Mirrors arrived with nuts and washers. Uh... how do I install these things? Please be specific.

How do I tighten the nut? (It's round, not multi-sided)
Is the slot in the nut to be used for anything?
I recall a tip posted previously on how to install one of the mirrors because it was tricky for some reason. Appreciate any and all advice.

Thanks.

Update: asked my son how to do this. He looked at the nut for 2.5 seconds, then handed it back to me, laughing. The bottom open end of the nut is designed for an allen wrench to be used to tighten it.

I think I got it; will post if not! :eek:

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
In Progress

The left mirror is installed. Couldn't be easier.

What is the tip I need to know for the right mirror -- as in, how to get the washer and nut up into the tiny crevice beneath the right mirror mount?

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Done

Got the right mirror installed. Used a dab of glue on top of the nut to hold the washer in place temporarily; used a long piece of tape wrapped around the end of the allen wrench (1/8" from the end) to build up the wrench diameter so it wouldn't slide through the washer-nut combo. A couple of tries and it worked.

This may be old hat to all of you but I haven't seen this done before. Hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I was worried for Howard there for a moment, it appeared as if he was having a conversation with himself! :)

·
Registered
192 Posts
Howard- I installed these on my bike last weekend. The nuts didn't come with the mirrors, I had to modify nuts from the hardware store to fit. Major PITA. I didn't think the mirrors were a huge improvement over the stock ones. I suppose worth doing, just not a big wow.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Mirror installation

Ditto on the left as an easy install. The right was a different matter. I used a tip from a woman I met on the road who was riding an R1200C. She shaped the end of a hex lead pencil to snugly fit the nut to start it then used an allen to finish the job. She also used a little dab of grease on the washer to the nut. It worked well for me. I also found it to be a big improvement over the stock mirrors. There was no vibration and the mirrors were up higher AND I wasn't looking at my gloves every time I looked in the mirrors. I also used mirrors for an R1200C and not the RS mirrors. I was really pleased with the result.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Safedog said:
I was worried for Howard there for a moment, it appeared as if he was having a conversation with himself! :)
That's funny... because it's true.

I submitted the question, then answered part of it, then got the job done all before anyone had a chance to reply. Total time was about 30 minutes. Would take 3 minutes the next time, like most jobs.

Fortunately Rock didn't have time to chime in with his patented "So, what about the.... <missing part>" comment. :D

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
glenhinegardner said:
Your becoming a MASTER TECH, I think you should lead the next Ohio Tech session!
If this is all it takes to be a master tech we all have a big problem. Techs/mechanics will never have to worry about me taking their job away from them. :rolleyes:

·
IBR# 366
16,544 Posts
Don't worry, Howard, we all need some comic relief now and again. :)

·
Registered
464 Posts
Ordered Mirrors

I just ordered the KRS mirrors..the rectangle ones. Got them for 65.00.

The pic doesn't show any washers/nuts in there. Is it better for me to go ahead and order them from BMW or try Lowe's?

Probably be late Next week before I see them, but I might as well Get "Edumacated" now.

Thanks in Advance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts