BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know these engines are good, but I don’t have much experience with the BMW bikes. I noticed that the RT like RPM and that is taking some getting use to on my part. At 80 mph the RPM is around 4000 , maybe a little more. Will the engine handle that many RPM all day long ? Like on a trip riding interstate roads for several days at a time

·
Registered
'21 R1250RT
442 Posts
Will the engine handle that many RPM all day long ?
Yep, without a doubt. These boxer engines are known to go for several hundred thousand MILES without major work needed. There are lots of high mileage examples around to prove that. 4k RPM at 80 MPH isn't THAT much. Lots of 2,3 and 4 cylinder bikes rev higher at those road speeds. Yamaha MT range for example. At least 1k RPM higher. The old airheads needed a rebuild at higher mileage but even the next generation of the engines (oil heads) go for 2 to 3 hundred thousand miles with no issues. Never mind the newer versions, like hex, cam and wet heads.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Agree with hati, 4k at 80 is pretty low for motorcycles. I had a V-Strom 650 that would be revving about 5500 at 80 and would do it all day long without a problem. Some sport bikes would probably be revving a lot higher than that with their 10,000 (or more) rpm red-lines. What are you coming from that would be lower at those road speeds?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Agree with hati, 4k at 80 is pretty low for motorcycles. I had a V-Strom 650 that would be revving about 5500 at 80 and would do it all day long without a problem. Some sport bikes would probably be revving a lot higher than that with their 10,000 (or more) rpm red-lines. What are you coming from that would be lower at those road speeds?
I have had several goldwings over the years and a couple Harley ultra’s. Both are lower Erving engines.

·
Premium Member
5,975 Posts
Incidentally, the general rule of thumb when riding the RT is to always keep the rpm above 3k, except for 1st. You can get away with less on the 1250s, but as Beech pointed out, the torque band is up there above 4k.

Reactions: Handy1

·
Registered
27 Posts
Boxer motors love to rev. As long as you have the proper quantity of oil in it…GO!! I don’t shift until 5k rpm or so. Ride 70mph in sixth gear and downshift it to fifth and stay at 70. You’ll see.

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Unless your going for MPG I very seldom use 6th gear unless I'm up to the 90 MPH range. I always keep it above 3K closer to 4K all the time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts