BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question 1: What are the most commonly used RPM ranges for the LT? When driving on country roads I am usually in 4th gear using 2500 to 3500 RPM power range. When entering a 4-lane controlled access hwy (Interstates) I accelerate in 3rd to about 4500+ then shift to 4th which still leaves me in the higher RPM range to insure plenty of power when merging onto a high speed roadway.
Question 2: Does anyone use the RPM range from 5000 to 7000 RPM's? If so, what is that high end range used for?
Thank you.

·
Registered
738 Posts
1: Use just about any range you want. Different people have different ideas. Keep it above 2k and you are ok.
2. Go fast, go faster faster

Take your bike out to a safe area and try running at various RPMs and gears and hit the throttle hard. You will find the bike jumps forward more when going from about 4k RPMs up to the red line. Be prepared, on my bike, at about 50mph shown in 3rd gear and about 4k RPMs, I can get to 80+mph in no time.

These bikes easily run in the 6K+RPMs without a problem other than your gas mileage dropping. You can easily run twisty roads using only 2nd gear. Roll off to slow down entering the curve and roll on through the curve and hit the throttle hard coming out of the curve to see why these big gals beat HD and Goldwings. You can go from 25mph to 70+mph in 2nd gear!

Find what you are comfortable with and enjoy your bike!

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,253 Posts
I spend time in second gear in the mountains at 5 -7000 rpm at 50 mph. I am never in 5th unless on the interstate at 70 +. Oh and the second /third gear at 5-7000 allows you to control speed on corner entry without using your brakes. I have 108,000 on her now and still have 1/3 of the original front pads left.

Reactions: beech

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very helpful. Thank you all. I will feel less reluctant to use the upper RPM range.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts