BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one used Royal Purple 20 W 50 W Synthetic in their LT? I use it in my hot rod and have had great results. I am currently running ****** 20W 50W in it with no problems.

Al
Spokane
WA :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,459 Posts
spokane1200lt said:
Any one used Royal Purple 20 W 50 W Synthetic in their LT? I use it in my hot rod and have had great results. I am currently running ****** 20W 50W in it with no problems.

Al
Spokane
WA :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
I scanned thru 55 posts that showed up when I did a quick search on "Royal Purple" and didn't find any negative info related to using it in the LT gear box, or final drive. Good luck, Al.

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
I switched to it three years ago, I believe I had a noticeable improvement in transmission performance and in engine smoothness. Have used it ever since.

It's a challenge to find the RIGHT royal purple motorcycle oil--they have two different weights, so make sure you get the right one (i bought the wrong stuff once, didn't realize it until after I changed the oil, ended up changing it twice that weekend for an expensive lesson learned).

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pete,

What was the description of the Royal Purple you used??

AL
Spokane
WA :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

·
Registered
254 Posts
coolmg said:
I use it in my 03 RT, 98 F650, 97 Moto Guzzi, and Dodge diesel truck, works great.
A car magazine did a lab test on the oils generally available in Australia, normal stuff, Castrol, Mobil, etc. The tests carried out involved friction and pressure. Royal Purple came out on top. In the article's photos some of the oils tested did some serious damage. Mobil 1 didn't do so well..... which is what used to go in my LT :( . These were car oils but if anyone is interested I'll post the article.

·
Premium Member
7,677 Posts
Daza said:
A car magazine did a lab test on the oils generally available in Australia, normal stuff, Castrol, Mobil, etc. The tests carried out involved friction and pressure. Royal Purple came out on top. In the article's photos some of the oils tested did some serious damage. Mobil 1 didn't do so well..... which is what used to go in my LT :( . These were car oils but if anyone is interested I'll post the article.
I would be curious to see this. I have not seen a lot of oil tests that have been rigorously conducted, but most that I have seen have found Mobil 1 to be a pretty good performer. No one oil exceeds in every parameter as some are in odds with the others. Almost any oil maker can pick a test or suite of tests that make their product look superior. Similarly, any other oil maker can usually do the same!

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
spokane1200lt said:
Pete,

What was the description of the Royal Purple you used??

AL
Spokane

"Max Cycle" 20W50 for the engine

"Synchromax" for the transmission and final drive

(I ordered mine from the local Napa dealership)

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have used Royal Purple 20w50 Max Cycle in my 2005 K1200lt since my first oil change. I just drained the oil out after 6K at 75K on the odometer. I have a rare earth magnet on my drain plug and the magnet was clean. My engine is finally broken in and Royal Purple is the best. No smoking and no starter clutch problems.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Voyager said:
I would be curious to see this. I have not seen a lot of oil tests that have been rigorously conducted, but most that I have seen have found Mobil 1 to be a pretty good performer. No one oil exceeds in every parameter as some are in odds with the others. Almost any oil maker can pick a test or suite of tests that make their product look superior. Similarly, any other oil maker can usually do the same!
Here you go, some bedtime reading.... I uploaded it to the Files section under technical, hopefully the link below will take you there.

Please note that these are car oils and the manufacturers motorcycle versions may perform differently. Either way it's an interesting read, Royal Purple (expensive in Aus) is the winner, with a couple of the other expensive oils not doing so well....

http://www.bmwlt.com/files/thumbnails.php?album=4&page=1&sort=dd

Enjoy....

·
Registered
330 Posts
I know this is a completely different animal, but.......

I fly giant scale radio controled planes. The motors I use are 2 cy. engines built specifically for the hobby and run from $1700 to $2700. Cylinder temps are critical with these and I had a situation where my temps were on the edge of being too hot. I switched to Royal Purple and immediately dropped my temps from 220* to 185*. I've been using it ever since with good results. I have changed over my final drive oil to Royal Purple but I hadn't changed the motor oil over yet. If I can find a source, I just might do it. I've become a believer in RP.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Dazz,
Where in Oz can you get RP. I live in Alice and we have SuperCheap and Repco but haven't seen it there not that I have been seriously looking.
Ross

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
it's no ams0il

(ducking)

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
rosgeog said:
Dazz,
Where in Oz can you get RP. I live in Alice and we have SuperCheap and Repco but haven't seen it there not that I have been seriously looking.
Ross

Just Google Royal Purple Max Cycle and you will find a good source.

Al
Spokane

·
Registered
509 Posts
I was wondering how long it be until the next oil thread got started.
This should get interesting.

·
Registered
254 Posts
rosgeog said:
Dazz,
Ross
My local AutoBarn (Penrith) has a pretty good range. I haven't spotted it on the shelves in Repco or SuperCheap although I haven't specifically been looking for it either. Are you working at a place with some big white spheres?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts