BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the process of hooking up a Battery Tender to keep the battery topped-off and was wondering where you found the best place to route the "pigtail" to allow it to be plugged in and out without detracting from the bike or being cumbersome to get to? Leave it underneath the drivers seat and pop it up to put it on the charger? The battery on my last bike allowed me to run it up to the center of the fairing where it was pretty much out of the way.

Thanks in advance

Andy

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Andy-SC said:
In the process of hooking up a Battery Tender to keep the battery topped-off and was wondering where you found the best place to route the "pigtail" to allow it to be plugged in and out without detracting from the bike or being cumbersome to get to? Leave it underneath the drivers seat and pop it up to put it on the charger? The battery on my last bike allowed me to run it up to the center of the fairing where it was pretty much out of the way.

Thanks in advance

Andy
I just put mine under the seat and have the plastic piece on the right side at the riders backrest. Sometimes I let it hang out a little. It is closest spot to the wall and the shelf that I keep my Tender.. I have the lead from the Battery Tender stuck to the wall so I can plug it in very easily. I will plug mine in to the Tender anytime I will leave the LT for more than a day or two. Even in the riding season.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
Andy-SC said:

Thanks in advance

Andy
Hi, Andy - I use the BMW-type plug that came with my BT. Just plug it into the accessory plug down by the left footpeg/shifter and then plug the BT into the wall source. Been doin' it that way for over 6 years. Don't have to get into ole Toad to do the connection. BTW - that receptacle is always hot. HTH.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
I do the same as Dick; I plug into the powerlet inlet by the left foot. No connections to hide and BMW already was kind enough to do the wiring.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BMW-type plug????

Dick,

That solution would be by far the easiest but my Battery Tender only came with a set of alligator clips and the ring terminal harness with the disconnect plug (which I have used on other bikes).

I did not see that plug on the Battery Tender website as an option . . . . did you get it somewhere else?

Thanks

Andy

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
You can get the powerlet plug and attach it to your tender. You can but it online here.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
most people have the powerlet plug, available at most dealerships, or just route your wiring so it sticks out a bit from your seat.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yep! Just go to your nearest dealer and ask for a plug.
Cut the clips off your lead, and screw the wires into the plug (it comes apart for this).

BTW - the female socket is extremely expensive for some reason I cannot fathom. Went to buy another plug and socket to fit to another bike to make it easy to connect the battery tender. Having bought a plug earlier, I knew it was about AU$21. So the total gets rung up and I am told that it will be about $120??? Turns out the socket is about $98 - go figure! Anyway, I decided it was not so bad lifting the seat and squirming my hand in under the tank to attach the clamps on the other bike ;)

·
Registered
187 Posts
My (ascycle.com plug) arrived last week. Makes it nice to plug/unplug with lifting the seat.

I was thinking of making a powerlet set of jumper cables. Spring always has someone in our group with a dead battery.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
BallsCasten said:
My (ascycle.com plug) arrived last week. Makes it nice to plug/unplug with lifting the seat.

I was thinking of making a powerlet set of jumper cables. Spring always has someone in our group with a dead battery.
My books aren't here at the house, butt I seem to remember that BMW sez not to use the powerlet socket for jump starting. I could be wrong, cuz Wednesday is CRS day, butt I'm pretty sure thats what I recomember.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts