BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Plans are coming together for our little lap of Oz, leaving Sydney on 3 April, and plan to be back on 4 June.
A question to the WA crew... likely I'll be up for a new set of tyres (ME880's) roughly by the time I get to Perth.. they may last longer then that, but the whole trip is over 16000km and I want good rubber for those long north-west sections. Trouble is we'll be there during the Easter break. Our plans have us getting into Fremantle on Sat 23rd April, then leaving for Jurien Bay on Tues 26th.
Whats the likelyhood of the one BMW dealer I can find (Auto Classic) being open for tyres through that period, or is there another tyre supplier you can recommend that I can contact?

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
G'day Chris.

That sounds like an excellent ride, and I hope that I get the time to do it myself one day!

Which direction are you heading? Let me know if you would like to catch up if you are passing through Melbourne at all.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Tony.
Heading clock-wise... Sydney to Lakes entrance, LE to Phillip Island (Cowes), then across the Bay entrance via Ferry and up to Avalon to pick up my partner Kerry (flying down), then to Torquay and onwards down GOR. A little hectic, averaging 330km daily over the 2 months. No more than 3 nights in one place, most places 1 night. Missing Melb itself, been through there a few times (Ferry terminal).
Wish I had 4 or 5 months to do it all... but I'll take what I've got :D
cheers

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi Chris ,

mit dem Metzler Marathon kannst Du kannst Du ganz Australien umrunden .
Tom und ich fuhren ohne Probleme die ganze Strecke von 14.731 km damit und waren sehr zufrieden .
Heute schon eine gute und gesunde Reise !

Liebe Grüße aus Deutschland!

Hartmut der Smutje

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hallo Hartmut!
Vielen Dank für Ihre Kommentare ... Ich war über Sie und Tom Denken am Australia Day!
Mein Dilemma ist, dass der Satz Reifen habe ich auf jetzt wird vielleicht noch eine zweite 8.000 km, so dass ich entweder nehmen sie ab und setzen neue, bevor ich gehe, oder ändern Sie sie auf halbem Weg. Der beste Ort, das zu tun wäre Perth, außer wir es zu Ostern sind, wenn alles wird wahrscheinlich geschlossen werden. Ich brauche diesen Informationen zu bestimmen, wann ich sie umstellen.
Wir erwarten, dass fast 17.000 km auf unserer Reise zu tun.

best regards
Chris

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Hey Chris
how are your plans for the trip comming along whats the latest, well Cathie has bought a new bike she is most pleased :D the Boulevarde is gone and she is now on a GSX 1250FA yikes :eek: does it go Had to lower it 25 mm for her

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Linton... sound like you might have trouble keeping up with the missus in future!!

Things coming together, have booked most stops ahead of time, something I don't want to have to worry about while on the trip.
Bike goes in early for the 70k service and new rubber 2 weeks before we leave, so I won't be doing a run up to Newcastle to have a look.
Ordered some mick-o-pegs for the those loooong stretches. Hope to get them this week.
So looking forward to this. :D

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Guys, still hoping to get to newcastle but not go to the AGM might just take a week off and head up that way for a look around, my work is still a little quiet, so if anyone up that way wants to get together around AGM time let me know

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
4 more sleeps, getting excited!
Pick up trailer on Friday for the big pack-up!
Bike has new tyres, new GPS, new shocks, MOPs and full service....

47 days on the road, 64 days away.

Fun toys for the trip:
GoPro HD with LCD backpack, and various mounts, plus 2 other cameras
Ipod & DICE for travelling tunes
SPOT v2 tracker... just in case...
Kneeboard and wettie hoping for the odd surf

Linton, will be in Portland sometime in afternoon of Wed 6 April, coming from Airies Inlet.
Drop me your phone number, hopefully we can meet up for a drink or dinner...

cheers

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
pm sent

Chris
a couple of tips for you.
all packed up try and keep towball weight around 30kg or less stick it on the bathroom scales.. and one pannier for kerry ;) apart from hills you wont know its there, get the clutch out fully before you throttle on above all have a hell of a lot of fun :yeah:

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Have a great time, Chris - and keep us up to date with your adventures if you can!
Where do you plan to be on Tuesday 5/4? Depending on work, I may be able to ride out somewhere and catch up with you for a coffee or similar.

Cheers, Tony

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Tony. Staying at Cowes night of 4th, then heading for the ferry terminal at Sorrento to cross the bay, then up through Geelong to Avalon Airport. My partner Kerry is flying into Avalon just after 3pm, so pick her up and then head down to Airies Inlet via Torquay (have to go past Bells, haven't been there for about 30 years!)
Mb is 0418411499 if you're in the area and up for a little ride! (although I'll have that number forwarded to a Telstra number for the trip)
cheers mate!

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
No worries, mate...if I can get the time off, I shall give you a call to arrange to meet up.

Have a great ride!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi Kerry and Chris !

Wünsche Euch eine schöne Tour und sehr viel Spaß ! Ich fahre jeden Kilomater mit Euch !

hartmut der Smutje

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Danke Hartmut, wir haben 1600km bisher getan ... und wirklich gerade erst angefangen!
Hat die Geat Ocean Road in Victoria heute ... eine wunderbare Fahrt, und hatte gerade Abendessen mit Achse, wie wir in seiner Heimatstadt, Portland sind!

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just met Linton (Axle) and Kathy and had a lovely dinner at the local pub with them!
Thanks guys for showing us around the town, hope to catch up with you at Snowy this year if you can make it.
Chris & Kerry

·
Registered
199 Posts
How was the trip. Was it strange having the trailer behind?

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good so far! Its a little more weight and a little less smooth than the normal ride, but no problem.. just have to be careful starting off....and generally taking it slower than would otherwise, sitting just under the speed limits (per the GPS).
Weather has been great so far... we can only hope it stays that way. :)

1500k's down, 15,000 to go!

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 week in & 2,380km, made it to Adelaide today.
Weather has turned wet & windy after several beautiful but hot days.
Bike running great, but reverse gear has started playing up, doing the 4sec/4ft and stop trick. Limited wifi access, but onto searching the forums for a fix...!
Love this traveling, but damn its tiring... only 8 weeks to go! :D

·
Miles of Smiles
1,054 Posts
Hi Chris, back from the " Native Stint " Glad to hear you guys are enjoying the trip. Hope the weather picks up.
Similar problem with reverse. Nuisance really, as it will continue to reverse but only in small steps.
Guess you don't want to remove the upper tupper-ware on the RHS, but if you do there is a connector there tied to the rear of the tip over frame. Sorry I don't have a pic. It is the wire from the speed sensor used by the reverse. Some times a good place to check.
Enjoy the riding and just keep going forward. :D

1 - 20 of 66 Posts