BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to take a four day ride through the hills of Arkansas this next weekend and have found myself wanting of expertise in helping me get Belle purring again!

Background: I completed a 12/24K service (to include new Bosch spark plugs, fluids, fuel & oil filters, new o-rings, etc), replaced the main seal, slave cylinder, seals, and all the fluids on 13-15 March. After I completed this effort, my bike wouldn't start on the first kick like it used to :mad: ....I'm linking to a video of how it sounds for a cold start and am asking for some forum analysis! :bowdown:

Rough Cold Start Video

:check: I use the Clymer's manual and the BMW Repair Manual CD and have checked all electrical connections, reset the Motronic unit, pulled out the fuel filter to check to make sure the hose is properly connected and not split (this was the recommendation by the Lone Star BMW Tech), sprayed carb cleaner around the air intakes with no evidence of a change in RPM.......I am at a loss of what to look for! I do notice the idle is =/< 1,000 RPM and when I roll the throttle on when it's still cold, it sputters a little....perhaps because I'm using a little throttle to get it started.

After the bike warms up, it runs fine.....its this cold start (everytime) that is bothersome :mad: and I don't want to cause any harm to the system or bike.

Is there anyone out there that might have had this problem and resolved it? :wave Would the MoDiTec diagnostics help the idle, start, or zero in on the problem? The Clymer's manual says to take it in to the stealer as part of the annual service.....I guess I may have to take it in to LS BMW to do the MoDiTec (at $42.50 just for the check).....but if its something simple that someone knows about, I'd rather do it myself.

Thanks to anyone who will help me get Belle purring again!
:bmw:

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,246 Posts
If you disconnected the fuel rail and throttle bodies for the tranny removal double check that all the fuel injector connectors are all fully seated and locked ( I had one loose but it worked until I hit 3,500 RPM). And they they are the correct connectors. Some times the vent connector is put on inplace of a fuel injector connector since it looks the same. In view of what you just did my guess is something didn't go back together right, you just need to find it.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jzeiler, I don't think we touched those, but one may have come loose when we tilted the engine down to pull the transmission. I'll do another check and see if I can find this perverbial "needle in a haystack!" Thanks! :wave

·
Registered
702 Posts
Are the plug wires on the right plug? I had similar rough start last year & I had mixed 3 & 4!

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good call....I'll check those too! We did those as part of the Tech Session....and they were the only things I did not personally touch.....I was busy mating the final drive to the drive shaft at the time! Thank you! :wave

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I know I may sound like a broken record on this, but if you have a "hunting idle" situation (and it looked like it was after you finally got it running) it is often a vacuum leak. And there are at least 4 of those hoses down on the Throttle bodies, any one of which could have slipped off when the engine was lowered for your Tranny removal. You can see them all with a good flashlight, but the left fairing will need to come back off first.

Good Luck!

John

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I sprayed a good amount of carb cleaner around each of the air intakes with no change in the RPM.....would any change in RPMs indicated a vacuum leak?

·
Registered
322 Posts
I'd check the coolant temp sensor connections. On a cold start the temperature is used to set air/fuel mixture until the O2 sensor warms up and the closed loop control takes over.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Check each plug for spark, it sounds like its missing???

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just back in from the garage..... :check: sensors are connected.
rcoolbaugh said:
I'd check the coolant temp sensor connections. On a cold start the temperature is used to set air/fuel mixture until the O2 sensor warms up and the closed loop control takes over.
:brick: I wish Autozone had a MoDiTec unit! I may have to wait until Tuesday morning when LS BMW opens up so I can get Belle in for a diagnosis and spend $42.50. :(

I just pulled each spark plug (all appear to be firing....color looks good (IAW pages 69-71 of the Clymer's manual)), checked the caps (no water or moisture), routing is correct, checked the exhaust ports to pipes and made sure each are torqued correctly......ARRRRRGH! :wtf: :crybaby:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Check the connector that goes into the coil. It's the one that has a spring on it you have to push in while pulling on the connector.

I had a similar problem. Took it to BMW in San Antonio. They put it on the computer and said I had a bad coil. Lucky for me, they did not have one in stock or I would have bought it.

I had another engine at home so I swapped coils and same problem. hmmmm...

Then I pulled the connector back off and looked INSIDE the connector. One of the female sockets had slipped back inside the connector and was not making good contact. I pushed it back in, reconnected, problem solved.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll check that tonight! This will either solve the problem or narrow down what LS BMW has to troubleshoot given all the items I've checked! Thanks!

Anyone else had (and resolved) this problem? :confused:

·
Registered
276 Posts
BlauBeeMr said:
I'll check that tonight! This will either solve the problem or narrow down what LS BMW has to troubleshoot given all the items I've checked! Thanks!

Anyone else had (and resolved) this problem? :confused:
I am sure this isn't it, but with all the work you did I assume the battery was disconnected... did you remember to reset the TPS after reconnecting the battery?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,246 Posts
BlauBeeMr said:
I sprayed a good amount of carb cleaner around each of the air intakes with no change in the RPM.....would any change in RPMs indicated a vacuum leak?
Only if you got lucky and actually hit the leak witrh the spray. Lots of good suggestions. Any one close to you with a GS-911 unit? Save you a trip to the dealer.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
jzeiler said:
Only if you got lucky and actually hit the leak witrh the spray. Lots of good suggestions. Any one close to you with a GS-911 unit? Save you a trip to the dealer.
That'd be great if someone had one of these in the Central Texas area!!!! Anyone out there have one??? :D

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,246 Posts
From the sticky in "bike talk" section on registry of GS-911 owners;

...DEKESBMWTOY, Saline MI
deputy5211, Dallas, TX
dfinazzo, Cincinnati, OH
Dpancerz, Garland, TX
grifscoots, New Braunfels, TX
Ihilsa, Reno, NV
Jaskjb, Rochester, MN...

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks! I'll see if Grif can help!

·
Registered
656 Posts
You didn't by chance disconnect the 02 sensor did you? From the looks and sounds of it the bike is having a mixture problem

·
Registered
437 Posts
I replaced the throttle cables a few months back and when I had everything back together, it ran like crap.....sounded like yours........pulled the left side and found that I had ACCIDENTLY swapped one of the fuel injector connectors with an identical connector that goes to something like a vacuum connector just above everything...........changed them out and all was well. Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Kra961 said:
You didn't by chance disconnect the 02 sensor did you? From the looks and sounds of it the bike is having a mixture problem
I do believe we disconnected the O2 sensor when we took off the exhaust and the color indicated everything was in normal operating conditions. Is there a way to check it while installed or will I have to strip the plastic & footrest to pull it once again? (pgs 255-256 in the Clymer's Manual (CM) gives indicators for too rich in fuel/oil mix (black & sooty), too much oil consumption (dark brown), and head gasket leak allowing antifreeze into the combustion chamber (white deposits)

Is this something the MoDiTec would pick up and diagnose for trouble? (pgs 600-601 in the CM indicate the O2 sensor is part of the motronic inputs/outputs.) Unless grifscoots sees my PM and calls, I may resort to taking it to the experts at Lone Star BMW tomorrow....HOPEFULLY its something simple to fix....but it probably won't be!! :crazy: I gotta get this functioning before Thursday evening.....I'm taking a four day trip through Arkansas starting this Friday!

I rode it 132 miles today with no problem after she warmed up a little (1 minute or so)....once the bike is warm, it starts up and runs fine.....its just when she's cold........she is a LOT grumpy! :mad:

THIS IS KILLING ME!!

:kaboom: :brick: :cussing: :wtf: :crybaby:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts