BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally....some closure on the Rough Start Problem I've been having for the past two months!
:wave
I picked up Belle yesterday and brought her home last night and unloaded it a few minutes ago! After several days of troubleshooting Mike Geoff (the head tech at Lone Star BMW ) found the problem on Wednesday. The problem centered on the Engine Temp Sensor. Evidently, it tripped a fault which caused the Motronic to think the engine was already hot. He reset the fault code at the Motronic (electronically somehow) and she starts right away and purrs at idle ~1K RPM.

During all the checks he also found a problem with my left radiator fan which is constantly tripping the fuse for some reason. He did say that I need to replace it, but he did the right thing and recommended me to buy it from BeemerBoneyard or the like rather than go to BMW (@$238 ea).....unless anyone has a spare that they can let go of!! :D

I've had this bike apart so long now, I think I'll have to relearn to ride once I get her back together! Today I'm going to put the Speigler lines, pads, and speedbleeders on the bike, redress her back in her plastic, and wait for the rain to pass to go on a ride!

Thanks to everyone's input via the threads and PMs.....I learned quite a bit about the bike in the process!

Giddyup! :cboy:

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Glad to hear she's on the mend...

So, you're telling us it took BMW''s head mechanic "several" days before he decided to plug in the Motronic and find a fault ?

I'd have done that in the first five minutes...

I hope you don't get raped on the bill..
Any time a computer controlled vehicle is having problems. Checking the computer will usually give you some kind of an idea what is wrong....Why wouldn't he do that first ?

John

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
Congratulations, Kenny! Too bad it cost so much $$ and time. Glad the guys at Lonestar guided you in the cost effective path. I've always had good luck with them.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JPSen.....I wondered the same thing but failed to ask the obvious....too happy to get it back! :rolleyes:

rcoolbaugh....you were right on.....but it was beyond my know-how to confirm or deny the temp sensor had a fault or was working properly.....all I checked and confirmed was that it was torqued properly and connected! :eek:

LS BMW did me right in the cost of repairs.....especially since it was one of "those" kind of problems that stumps the best of 'em!

Take care! :bmw:

·
Registered
929 Posts
Way to go--and a hardy well done for all your hard work!:clapping:

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Git your a$$ in the saddle and do some shreddin'.............well deserved and too bad about the down time...........it is a rather interesting scenario however......... ;)

I've been following along just for the reference............and Thanx for keeping the post up...............Jim

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Happy days from here on. Glad it got figured out.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Thanks for the info! Mine is doing the same thing! I thought I was going crazy checking everything. I too did the big mtc last Nov.. Once it warms up, I'm getting 55 mpg.It's just getting it to that point! I will have my mechanic check it out!

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mchammer717 said:
Thanks for the info! Mine is doing the same thing! I thought I was going crazy checking everything. I too did the big mtc last Nov.. Once it warms up, I'm getting 55 mpg.It's just getting it to that point! I will have my mechanic check it out!

Good luck with the diagnosis and repair. I'd strongly recommend you strip her down before bringing it to the dealer....it'll save you $$ in time.

55 MPG!!!??? What else did you do to your bike.....the best I've been able to get is 46-47 with a Rhine West chip and Remus exhaust. I'd love to get 8-9 miles more MPG!

Thanks!

·
Registered
322 Posts
I routinely get mid 50's on mine. My wife and I rode up to Maine last weekend, 300 mi. round trip, about half on interstate. We got 57 MPG for the trip. Completely stock 2000 LT.

I think it has a lot to do with the weight of your right wrist. :)

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,128 Posts
rcoolbaugh said:
I think it has a lot to do with the weight of your right wrist. :)
Exactly!!! That is why I never get better than 43. I love pulling G's off the line.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
jzeiler said:
Exactly!!! That is why I never get better than 43. I love pulling G's off the line.
+1....yep!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts