BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike has been setting for a month or so in the garage, ran fine last time I rode it. Now when I went to start it, smoked for a long time but has a problem revving up. Misses a little and acts like it not getting fuel. The bike is 2000 and has 11K miles on it. Searched the threads and can't seem to find a similar problem. Pulled the plugs and don't see a problem. It will idle ok when cold for a few seconds and then die. Any Ideas?? Thanks, Mike

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
qadash said:
My bike has been setting for a month or so in the garage, ran fine last time I rode it. Now when I went to start it, smoked for a long time but has a problem revving up. Misses a little and acts like it not getting fuel. The bike is 2000 and has 11K miles on it. Searched the threads and can't seem to find a similar problem. Pulled the plugs and don't see a problem. It will idle ok when cold for a few seconds and then die. Any Ideas?? Thanks, Mike

Try FRESH gas and high octane.

If it was sitting on it's side stand , that's why it smoked. I(f you're not going to ride it everyday, I'd use the center stand to park it. I learned to hold the bike as far to the right after shutting it off to allow oil on the cylinder skirts to drain out before leaning it back on the side stand.

Is the oil level at the bottom of the site glass on the side stand.

Just some things I'd check before thinking it being something more serious.

Good Luck,

Vern :bmw:

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
A mouse nest in the air intake, thus starving it of AIR? :bmw:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks, for the suggestions, I thought about the mouse in the air box, because that is what it sounds like. I stripped her down and checked the air cleaner, looks like new. I've had the bike since it was year old. No problems, plugs are original, so I will replace them when I can. I live in the middle of nowhere. Going to drag week in Great Bend Ks. Tuesday so I'll pick some up. Don't really think that the problem because it will smooth out but won't rev up. Tried to take it out for ride and see if it would clean it self out, at first I could get it up to 30 or 40 with some missing, turn around and just barely got it back home. Maybe fuel filter??

·
Registered
198 Posts
qadash said:
Maybe fuel filter??
Given your symptoms, the fuel filter's certainly a candidate. Too bad it means working your way back in that far.

Your bike has very low miles for it's age. If the fuel filter doesn't fix things, start looking for stuff that might happen from sitting a long time. Oxidized connectors on an engine control something or other, gummed up injectors, stuff like that. Maybe the suction hose to the charcoal canister is cracked and sucking air just after starting.

Couldn't hurt at some point to dump in a bunch of techron, seafoam or star tron to clean out the fuel system a bit.

Good luck.

JD

·
Registered
375 Posts
Hi Mike, eventually some sediment out of your tank is blocking your fuel filter. Put some fresh fuel in and change the filter I think that will do it.

Hope could help you, Manfred

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pulled the fuel pump and found the problem, the hose between the pump and filter had a hole in it. Changed the hoses, because I had them and not a filter, put the tank back on and it fired up and ran great. Tank was clean with not a trace of any trash in it, so I think I will be safe to put it back together and go ridding!!! We are going to Great Bend Ks. to the Drag week day 2 races. Got to see that 7 second street car run down the track. Thanks for you support, Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts