BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a recently purchased 2003 K1200LTC with 9.3K miles on it. While decelerating or maintaining constant throttle at low RPMs (~2500 or less), the bike sputters and makes a gurgling sound...like it is missing. Hard acceleration and high RPM cruising is fine. I certainly do not feel this is right and am looking for feedback of this condition and/or solution.

I am a long-term rider but first time BMW owner so I am not familiar with the nuances of the big K12 yet. I'm thinking engine mapping, fouled plug or ??

Please help!

Jon
2003 K1200LTC
2004 VStrom 1000

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Grif,

Thanks for the reply. Where is the "rail" you are referring to for the vacuum line(s)? I am taking the bike to the dealer I bought it from so a tech can ride it tomorrow; I'd like to mention this to him.

I've also gotten the "that's the way they are" story too from others, and I don't buy it. This is a big classy machine and people expect a smooth running bike for this price. And so do I.

I'm sure it's an easy fix once I identify the culprit.

Jon
2003 K1200LT
2004 VStrom 1000

·
Premium Member
824 Posts
Getting the throttle butterflies balanced is crucial. Katie's symptoms were low tickover speed, bogging down when pulling away and high fuel consumption above 3,500 rpm. My dealer replaced the throttle bank as one butterfly wouldn't close properly and it's totally transformed the bike. The symptoms emerged very slowly, over about 10k miles, so it can be hard to spot until it's unignorable (if you know what I mean). Either way, I'd say the first place to look is the air intake system.

Keith

·
Registered
98 Posts
grifscoots said:
I'll bet you one of the four vacuum hoses at the fuel intake behind the rail has come off.
When I bought my new 2003 LT it ran fine for about a week, then started running rough, like you describe. I took it back to the dealer who found that it was one of the vacuum hoses that slipped off. He said it was pretty common. He put it back on and I haven't had a problem since.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks,

Looks like I'll have to take the left/lower side tupperware off to see it. I took the bike to the dealer today and had two different techs ride it; both said it was fine. I guess I should accept this, but I still feel it has a bit of a miss and gurgle to it. They both said that if a vacuum line had come off, I would notice a more appreciable rise and drop in idle speeds and rougher running.

Still think I'm going to go ride the demo this weekend to satisfy my need to know that my bike is not unique in this situation.

Jon
Seattle, Wa
2003 K1200LTC
2004 VStrom 1000

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought a K1200LT 07 with 38K miles. Rode it 2.5 hours home. Didn't notice anything out of the ordinary, except when pulling away it bogs. Even to the point of cutting out. If I ease out the clutch and don't give it much gas it works without too much bogging.
I have run seafoam through it, reset the tps, run 93 octane gas. I also notice a fair amount of chatter over 2k rpms. cruising at 2k no chatter. I think this is preignition but not sure. had a service manager ride it. told me pinging, no big deal.....???
any thoughts?

·
Registered
679 Posts
Just a thought, given that this 8 to 9 year old bike has less than 10k miles on it, there must have been a lot of sitting around time, in a garage or what ever...Do you think a critter may have gotten in and nested in the air intake system somewhere? Maybe cobwebs?? :rotf: Might pull the plastic and check

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
casualemt said:
Just a thought, given that this 8 to 9 year old bike has less than 10k miles on it, there must have been a lot of sitting around time, in a garage or what ever...Do you think a critter may have gotten in and nested in the air intake system somewhere? Maybe cobwebs?? :rotf: Might pull the plastic and check
It was only 2 years old at the time. This thread is 6 years old. :histerica

·
Registered
938 Posts
dlwarre said:
I bought a K1200LT 07 with 38K miles. Rode it 2.5 hours home. Didn't notice anything out of the ordinary, except when pulling away it bogs. Even to the point of cutting out. If I ease out the clutch and don't give it much gas it works without too much bogging.
I have run seafoam through it, reset the tps, run 93 octane gas. I also notice a fair amount of chatter over 2k rpms. cruising at 2k no chatter. I think this is preignition but not sure. had a service manager ride it. told me pinging, no big deal.....???
any thoughts?
Welcome! Maybe start a new thread as this one is pretty old. Did bike come with any service records?

·
Registered
2015 K1600GTL Exclusive
167 Posts
Mine was running in a similar manner.(2000LT). I checked just about everything there was to check. Turned out to be a dirty fuel injector. Cleaned the the injectors up. After that she ran like the day I bought it. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts