BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy, :wave

I have noticed my 05 LT with 20K miles, is riding rougher. I feel the bumps a whole lot more now.... not sure why.

Recently loaded it on a trailer, and was wondering if I could of overtightened it when strapping it down. Would that cause this type of problem???

It doesn't bottom out, and I have adjusted the rear shocks up and down.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

By the way, After by-passing the cannister, I removed the fuel tank and repaired the fuel gauge tube, and changed fuel filter. It took me over 9 hours.... Mom always said I was a little slow, but..... :histerica
Thanks, Chris Ogle

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
sounds like you're getting ready for new shocks...

As for the time to pull tank and get bike running again.. yeah, that is a bit over the shop estimate.... did anything specific slow ya down?

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cfell said:
sounds like you're getting ready for new shocks...

As for the time to pull tank and get bike running again.. yeah, that is a bit over the shop estimate.... did anything specific slow ya down?
did anything specific slow ya down?....

Mainly me. I used the blue painter tape to locate every removed screw, and also wired and mounted an XM radio.... To tell you the truth, Mom may have been right when she said I was a little slow :histerica

Thanks for the suggestion regarding shocks.
Chris Ogle, Kansas (the land of AHH it's humid) :dance:

·
Premium Member
3,121 Posts
cwo said:
did anything specific slow ya down?....

Mainly me. I used the blue painter tape to locate every removed screw, and also wired and mounted an XM radio.... To tell you the truth, Mom may have been right when she said I was a little slow :histerica

Thanks for the suggestion regarding shocks.
Chris Ogle, Kansas (the land of AHH it's humid) :dance:
Well I am a bit surprised the shocks are gone at 20 K but it could be time, rather then wear that got them.

I assumed your searched on the adjuster fill for the rear shock preload?

A few have just replaced the springs with Hyper Pro. They been making springs forever. And they report great sucess. But a new set of Hyper Pro or Ollins shocks will do more for the bike then anything else. However when you see the prices you are going to faint.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
cwo said:
Recently loaded it on a trailer, and was wondering if I could of overtightened it when strapping it down. Would that cause this type of problem???

Thanks, Chris Ogle
Did you use the correct tie down method? the suspension should be free, and the bike should bounce a bit while on the trailer. If you jacked it down hard against the suspension, you possibly caused a seal to let go in the suspension.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you use the correct tie down method? the suspension should be free, and the bike should bounce a bit while on the trailer. If you jacked it down hard against the suspension, you possibly caused a seal to let go in the suspension.

Yes, The tie down points were at the front forks. However, I did have it down pretty tight.

Didn't use any tie downs on the rear.

You mentions "a seal to let go" . How would I check this???

Thanks, Chris Ogle

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
I think your observation of poor shock action is sufficient to demonstrate the busted shocks.

a "recommendation".. next time you pull things apart, have some cardboard available.. use a screwdriver to make a hole in the cardboard where you can insert each removed screw. You can draw the pattern on the cardboard and poke holes where each screw should go.

If you don't punch out the hole too big, you'll have sufficient friction to hold the screws in the cardboard... and you can move without concern for losing the screws...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts