BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a returning rider to the BMW brand. It's been 12 or so years between RT ownership, so my memory fails me from time to time. I currently own a 2006 R1200 RT with approx. 52,000 miles. Since taking ownership this past February, I've changed the engine oil, gearbox gear oil, final drive gear oil, greased the splines for the final drive, and had the dealer flush the brake lines. The previous owner gave all indications he was meticulous regarding maintenance. To illustrate, he provided feeler gauges when he traded it into a BMW dealership.

Enough with the background and on to the question. Yesterday (70 degrees ambient temperature), while stopped at a stop light, I noticed the windshield vibrated when at idle. Frankly, it vibrated like it was attached to a V-twin motorcycle. The engine idle was approx. 1,200 RPM - 1,500 RPM (the disparity is due to not wearing reading glasses when I ride). When the engine is under-power, everything seems smooth again.

I can't recall if my previous 2002 R1150 RT experienced the same "rough idle."

Any insights would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
... I noticed the windshield vibrated when at idle. ...I can't recall if my previous 2002 R1150 RT experienced the same "rough idle." .
You say rough idle, did it feel rough?
The first thing i would say is that at tickover these bikes do 'move' - like a heartbeat really.
The next thing I would suggest is that from your list you have not:
. Checked the spark plugs(for condition and gap).
. Checked valve clearances.
. Checked the air filter.
. Cleaned the idle screw and galleries of the throttle bodies.
. Performed a Throttle Body Balance.

As a new owner I would heartily recommend you re-establish a true base line to work from.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Pretty much what bandytales said...

I just sold an '05 RT which I put over 100k miles on and it shouldn't shake that much at idle (or any other time)

Valve clearance and throttle balance is a 12k miles service item so the bike could be due for them - but do it anyway. BTW you must ensure the valve clearances are correct BEFORE you balance the throttles.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks all. I was afraid of the truth. Since I am a novice at working on anything mechanical, I'm off to the dealer to open my wallet.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Thanks all. I was afraid of the truth. Since I am a novice at working on anything mechanical, I'm off to the dealer to open my wallet.
Your decision of course, but these service procedures are pretty straightforward. Not sure where you are in the world, but you might have someone near who could help you out the first time.

Once you have some basic tools and have seen it done once, you'll be confident doing it the next time.

Reactions: PadG
1 - 5 of 5 Posts