BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

It looks like we'll be seeing snow tomorrow so I am calling it the end of my first season on the LT. I will still be riding, but it will be more limited. I managed to ride about 14,000 miles and visit nine states in my first 6-7 months. Just curious how this compares to your rookie year on the LT....

Ride On, Tim

·
Registered
51 Posts
My year started in late June with my purchase of a new 05'. 4600 miles with only one overnight trip to Silverton, Co. Nice thing about NM is we have tons of places for day trips. Looking fwd on going to Ca coast in Nov. Have fun.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
My first 11 months (so far) I have cruised 20k miles. 7 states and 2 Canadian providences. Probably 18k of it being country and mountain roads. Only unscheduled maintenance being a 35 dollar bearing in the driveshaft.

·
Registered
878 Posts
First year milage

I put 11000 miles on my LT in the first year. No trips over 300 mile.

·
Registered
143 Posts
My rookie year on an LT was the summer of 2004, picked up bike May 21 and by the end of the season, which comes early in Fargo, ND had 31,100 miles. States included ND MN IA SD CO ID WA OR CA AZ NM CO NE. Longest trip was 15 day vacation that covered 7,201 miles. I do very little interstate riding, 2 lane is far better. Am thankful I have a wife and dog that enjoy joining me for all rides except the one to work and back which is only 1 mile. Am not quite to end of second season now and the 2005 LT has 66,800 on it now.

I was not a rookie to start with as the previous bike had 61,000 in 2 years. I see the temp is now up to 50 so must go to ride.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Planning my early spring trip - UK - Germany. Poland,Check Republic.Slovakia, Hungary, Austria, Germany, UK

Anyone been there. and got any tips for Bikers????

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Jeff, great pictures what a trip! When you were going through Kings Canyon I thought I bet he goes right past Hume Lake and you did. How did the dog do on the trip?

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
My year will end around Christmas with about 12,000 on the LT. Three trips and 5 states, next year hope to double that.

·
Registered
153 Posts
This is my rookie season as well. I have 12,000 miles and 2 states with a 4,000 mile, 9 additional states trip starting next weekend. It's been a blast.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My first season as well, just got my 2005 LT three weeks ago, have logged two provinces, did rent a 2002 LT out of Phoenix in Feb for a few days. Been riding GL1800 Goldwing and Valkyrie Interstate prevously, I love th handling of the LT, miss things that work on the GL1800 like the self cancelling turn signals...

Link to some of my photos

http://www.brucecolman.ca/motorcycle_trips_link_page.htm

·
Registered
143 Posts
Dog has done well on all trips, only problems have been if we end up in city traffic on a hot day. This dog has in excess of 150,000 miles of experience.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Febuary will complete my first year with the LT. So far we have visited 12 states. La(home), Tx, NM, Co, Kn, Mo, Ark, Tn, Ms, Al, Fl, Ga.
17K miles so far, here we have nearly 12 months riding. We actually had snow last Christmas.
RIDE ON

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hello from Australia Jeff.
Just had a look at your pictures. Looks fantastic. I'm getting onto an Lt in around a week. You have inspired me to go for some long trips. I have a holiday planed for Christmas probably end up doing 2500 / 3000 miles.
Did you do this trip on your own or with someone else.
I see you had a tent just wondering what you sleep on and how you carry all this with you?
Thanks for sharing your pictures.
Regards Nick.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Nick,

We always have traveled alone, do care cell phone but have been fortunate to have not needed to use it as we have had no break downs.

We sleep on our cold weather and rain gear (including spare sweatshirts and jackets). The sleeping bags are down and pack into the bag on top of the trunk. Do not have room for a lot of clothes changes but figure if necessary can stop and buy replacement clothes.

Hope you have a great ride and that you enjoy it as much as we have.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
the1mavin said:
All,

It looks like we'll be seeing snow tomorrow so I am calling it the end of my first season on the LT. I will still be riding, but it will be more limited. I managed to ride about 14,000 miles and visit nine states in my first 6-7 months. Just curious how this compares to your rookie year on the LT....

Ride On, Tim
My question to you is how many miles per year did you ride before the LT? I was a casual 4 or 5k per year rider until I met my LT. I tripled my mileage that year, and have kept up the average of 15k per year for four years. Then again, I ride almost year round, so I'm a slouch compared to some of these maniacs! :D

·
Registered
938 Posts
My first year on the LT started in April. I have put 12,000 miles on it and 8 states. My year isn't over yet. If it ain't snowing and there isn't ice on the ground, I will be riding...

Bob Glassman
Littleton, CO
'03 LTC - Impala Brown

·
Registered
63 Posts
Mine year started in April. So far longest trip was CCR 2005, 6600 miles and 14 states. Total miles so far 17K +.

·
Registered
143 Posts
If I am a Maniac then this machine was designed for maniacs. If the weather is decent and our health is fine we wish to enjoy the beauty of this country and this life on the most wonderful machine that I believe is available.

We have had the opportunity to reassess the simple pleasures of life thanks to a visit from cancer last winter.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts