BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wiring my 03LT for a trailer and was having issues getting the lights to work. Long story short i crossed a couple wires and basically smoked that harness on the bike. Is that a separate harness from the main harness or do I need to get a whole new harness for the bike. I'm really hoping its separate. Next would be installing the new one:) Any direction would be great. Bryan

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
I believe it is all one harness pstrman. Replacing the harness means stripping the bike down totally. Not an easy job for a rookie. Depending on the damage, it is often easier to repair the damage than replace the harness.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,170 Posts
Depends where you were tapping into it and where the smoke came from. If you were back in the tail light area that is a separate harness with rather large wires, but further up (under the pillion seat) the main bike harness is the smaller more vulnerable wires.

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
Depends where you were tapping into it and where the smoke came from. If you were back in the tail light area that is a separate harness with rather large wires, but further up (under the pillion seat) the main bike harness is the smaller more vulnerable wires.
Dang, sorry about the misinformation. I have looked at several on ebay and it all looked like a single loom.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,170 Posts
Dang, sorry about the misinformation. I have looked at several on ebay and it all looked like a single loom.
Well there is a disconnect at the tail light with its own harness from the connector to the bulbs. The rest IS one big harness and even I would not want to replace one. I would find the damage and repair it.

Reactions: bmwcoolk1200

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Whew!!! Looks like harness is savable:)) so once fixed I still need to wire for my trailer. I guessing I should move to tapping into the tail light harness instead of main. I did by a relay with a fuse also. Am I thinking correctly?:)) thank you 😊

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,170 Posts
Ideally you want a relay for brake lights, a relay for each turn signal and a relay for the tail lights. This removes the heavy load from the harness. Does your trailer have separate turn signal lights or are they like a lot of trailers and the stop light is also a turn signal. If so I have found the light adapter sold by Uhaul to work really good and interface with the LTs separate turn signals . So many out there rely on the trailer bulb to make the circuit work (I had all LEDs on my trailer).

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Trailer lights are the exact lights that are on my bike. the relay i got connect to the battery and has wires for tail lights, brakes, turn signals. Cost $40. Should I get something else? I should mention that the relay brings thing to a 4 plug

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
Something like this may be what you need. It is a multi pack with a fuse included on each relay so if you went with separate relays like John mentioned for brake, turn and running depending on your particular lighting requirements, you would have more than enough. Most of the relays you will find on Amazon are cheap and made in China and the like so having a spare is not a bad idea but the ones I have purchased have been fairly reliable so far. These also include a wiring harness to do the hook up. The only problem is finding space for them to sit especially if you have 3 or 4 of them. There is room, you just need to find it. You can also find these at any auto store but not sure the harness is included but they will have that also.

https://www.amazon.com/Relay-Switch-Harness-Wires-Automotive/dp/B07BCD43X6/ref=sr_1_34_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1526954706&sr=8-34-spons&keywords=12v+20a+relay+fuse&psc=1

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,170 Posts
When you say "relay" I see one electrical item, but by your description you have the bike "isolator" that contains several relays. You are good to go.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well upon further inspection today of my wiring harness it looks like it is burnt all the way. It needs replacing or turning it into my insurance. Its a sad day but Im already looking at replacements in case they total it. :(

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the wire that burnt melted a groups of wires. I just dont have the ability to do all of that.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Well upon further inspection today of my wiring harness it looks like it is burnt all the way. It needs replacing or turning it into my insurance. Its a sad day but Im already looking at replacements in case they total it. :(
Same happened to me a few years ago. 2012 I believe. I don't know for certain the cause, but trailer wiring was suspect. Insurance totaled the bike but I was able to buy back for $1000. I then bought another bike then held on to smoked bike for awhile until a fellow came along looking for a "bike project". After a few months of patient work, he got it running just fine. Point being, it can be done, but I am with you....above my patience and skill level.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My wife is in failing health and I use the bike for sanity purposes:). I just don’t have the time and skill to dedicate to this type of project. I just hope my insurance will cover it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I understand your pain. This happened to me and I live in Mexico. Trying to find a qualified mechanic here is , well bad. They have dealers in Cancun and Merida. To their credit they did install a new wiring harness I had purchased from ebay. Got to running, more or less. took me three more years to get it right. Injector wires can be messed up.
I guess what I am getting at is that the wires can and should repaired. It is not as daunting as it looks and I wished I had gone that route, really would have been easier.
Try to find somebody to help, ins. cannot be much. It was heartbreaking when it happened.
Good luck

1 - 20 of 22 Posts