BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Encouraged by the numerous posts on doing the fluid changes at home, I decided to take the plunge. From a mechanical viewpoint, everything is progressing perfectly. However, I want to carry out a sanity check as I was more than a little surprised about a few items.

Background: My bike is a 2002 K1200LT, purchased new and all maintenance has been carried out per schedules by BMW dealers in the Houston area. The machine has 33,500 miles and has been everything I dreamed about. Rides are two-up with the wife and seldom less than 120 miles. Numerous multi-thousand mile tours throughout the Texas/New Mexico/Oklahoma/Arkansas area.

My surprises:

1) Engine oil: When removing the oil filter cap, some oil flowed from the cavity as soon as I loosened the screws. I recognize the cap has an O-ring, but I did not really expect oil to be in the cavity. Is this normal?

2) Rear wheel drive oil: The drained oil is itself clean, bright red with no traces of particle suspension. However, the magnetic drain plug had about 2 millimeters of sludge attracted to it. It was very fine/smooth and I did not find traces anywhere else. Is this normal?

For the rest of this long 4th of July weekend, I will progress into the transmission and brake fluids. Hopefully no more surprises!

fjr

·
Registered
153 Posts
All normal,,oil filter is actually inside the crankcase and is bathed in oil, some folk drain the oil by loosening the oil filter cap, that way you do not need another new washer for the drain plug.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Yep. All normal, no worries. The Filter "Cavity" as you call it is actually the engine oil sump, so it is full of oil! The black sludge on the magnetic plug for your final drive is also perfectly normal.

Welcome to the world of doing it for yourself and saving a fortune over letting the dealer do it!

John

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Sonny and John!

I’d hoped it was a matter of ignorance and not equipment failure.

fjr

·
Registered
293 Posts
10/4, How much $$ did you save? The trans is simple although challenging the 1st couple of times, I pump (auto parts store, screw on pump) the fluid into the fill hole, if you can find it. Let us if you need any help... Not sure what you can do with the BF at 30k or 6 yrs old may need to be changed, this is one thing I take to the shop.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yes did my first oil change last night, my friend & I have both bought 05 LT's and leaving on a long trip sunday, we decided to change our oil, good news he got his filter cover off before I did so he got the mess :histerica well I was a little more prepared but still got quite a bath, Im draining through the plug next time. My real mess came when I tried to fill the oil back in using what I thought was a perfect little funnel from wally world, had a 1 qt funnel on top with a clear plastic hose but it kept kinking and when I would look at the hose seems like I tipped the container and oil was every where, the next one will be easier but I figure I saved close to $60-at least by doing it myself :bmw:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Four quarts of engine oil and two of transmission/rear cost $51 with tax. For me, not having to take the machine to the dealer is the biggest plus. It is about a 90 minute ride, one way, have to leave the bike over for a few days, and then repeat to collect. That pretty much kills an entire day for the wife and me.

As far as the brake fluid goes, I’m not going to attempt to drain or bleed. I read the posts and recognize that is way beyond my skill set and tools. I’ll trust the dealers have been doing the right thing during the annuals and just top off the reservoirs.

One tip I’ll pass on regarding the rear. When I looked at the drain plug and orientation of the brake assembly and tires, it looked to me that some oil could drip in places that should remain oil free. I got some aluminum foil and fashioned a guide from the plug into the drain pan. No spills and no mess!

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
fjr said:
Four quarts of engine oil and two of transmission/rear cost $51 with tax. For me, not having to take the machine to the dealer is the biggest plus. It is about a 90 minute ride, one way, have to leave the bike over for a few days, and then repeat to collect. That pretty much kills an entire day for the wife and me.

As far as the brake fluid goes, I’m not going to attempt to drain or bleed. I read the posts and recognize that is way beyond my skill set and tools. I’ll trust the dealers have been doing the right thing during the annuals and just top off the reservoirs.

One tip I’ll pass on regarding the rear. When I looked at the drain plug and orientation of the brake assembly and tires, it looked to me that some oil could drip in places that should remain oil free. I got some aluminum foil and fashioned a guide from the plug into the drain pan. No spills and no mess!
I trusted my dealer too on the brake flushes. Took it in for a flush,paid $250,a week later pulled the front cover off and the fluid was dark brown. Never again. If you want to spend a couple of hours,it's very doable. You can bring it down here to Sugarland or take it to Dallas when Munson has a tech session. My '03 LT will hopefully never see a dealer again.

dan

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,459 Posts
fjr said:

Hey, Fernando - good on ya for the wrenching initiation. Glad you saved yourself some farkle money!! ;) Second time will be a snap!!!

If you didn't make a mess, double good on ya. Butt.... if you did, next time, grab a package of Puppy Training Pads from Wal-Mart and spread one under the scoot. Catches and semi-absorbs the spillage; just roll up and toss when finished. No mess left behind. Courtesy of Dave Moore here in the 'hood.

Best regards.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Idofotos said:
Yes did my first oil change last night, my friend & I have both bought 05 LT's and leaving on a long trip sunday, we decided to change our oil, good news he got his filter cover off before I did so he got the mess :histerica well I was a little more prepared but still got quite a bath, Im draining through the plug next time. My real mess came when I tried to fill the oil back in using what I thought was a perfect little funnel from wally world, had a 1 qt funnel on top with a clear plastic hose but it kept kinking and when I would look at the hose seems like I tipped the container and oil was every where, the next one will be easier but I figure I saved close to $60-at least by doing it myself :bmw:
If you follow THIS LINK you will find an AWESOME procedure to changing fluids.

Most people drain the oil the way you did. You still need to remove the cover for the filter anyway and with the right technique, you'll never need a crush washer.

Good Luck,

Joe

1 - 10 of 10 Posts