BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I parked my bike in my buddies driveway and she rolled off the center stand - no damage other to my ego, what a heavy bike to pick back up. Those tip over wings really heep the plastic from getting damaged

Scott

·
Registered
375 Posts
Did you have first gear in? You should do that always, down in first and side stand out and let her rest and then take the key of.

Manfred

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
I did not have a power stand on my 02 and only used the regular center stand when I was working on the bike. I know, it's flat in Florida!

I used the side stand 99% of the time and as Manfred said, I always stopped the bike in 1st gear, then lowering the side stand. I always felt that the bike was more stable leaning on the side stand.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,602 Posts
srpuywa said:
I parked my bike in my buddies driveway and she rolled off the center stand - no damage other to my ego, what a heavy bike to pick back up. Those tip over wings really heep the plastic from getting damaged

Scott
How the hell did it roll off the CENTER STAND ?? I've seen plenty of bikes roll off the SIDE stand buy not being in gear. :confused:

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
("Knocking on Wood", as I say this)

I have NEVER had my LT go to sleep on me. Never been dropped. I DID get 3/4 of the way there, when I parked it on the SIDE stand, on a nearly flat surface just after I got the bike in '06. Since it was "flat", I didn't bother leaving in first gear. Mistake. She started rolling forward, and I caught it just as it was starting to go over.

Now, no matter how "flat" the surface looks, I leave the beast in first gear for side stand parking.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,559 Posts
Mine came close to rolling off the CENTER stand in a Wendy's parking lot. There was a dip on the pavement right where the stand deployed to and both tires were still on the ground. I guess it could also happen if you were on a significant slope pointed down.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,459 Posts
srpuywa said:

Scott
Your subject line sez 'side stand', butt your text sez 'center stand'. Which is it? ;)

·
Registered
290 Posts
When I bought my LT and was picking it up, the sales guy stressed the importance of putting it in gear when using the side stand. He described how many bikes have "rolled" and fallen. So that's what I do.

I don't really like the side stand, though. I've never had a bike that learned over so far on the side stand. Makes me nervous. I use the power center stand mostly. The bike has to be in neutral to use it, and I haven't been putting it in gear once it's up. Doesn't seem like it could go anywhere, but from now on I'll do so.

When I use the power center stand, and other cyclists are nearby, they never fail to razz me about it. I just laugh.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had this happen at a gas station about 60 days ago. I pulled in, put down the side stand and turned around to run my credit card through the pump reader. As I turned back around to my bike. it rolled slightly forward and fell. I caught it, but it pinned me between the bike and the gas pump. It shattered my Cee Baily's windshield (which I hated anyway) and it cracked two of my ribs, and cut my hand. One of the mirrors popped off, but it was tethered, so it didn't break. Then of course, I had to lift the beast up from a very awkward position. All was not lost, though. I had a spare "sport" height windshield that I had in storage. I pulled what was left of the Cee Baileys off, and mounted the sport shield, popped the mirror back on, and caught up with the group I was supposed to be riding with about two hours later. I didn't realize I had cracked my ribs until I tried to get out of bed the next morning. I always thought I was careful about this, but now, I am EXTRA careful. I should go back to the gas station and ask for the surveillance video! :wave

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
She is a BEAST at times!!

When I first got my LT I would park her in my garage on the side stand in first.

I'd sit on her, put her in neutral, stand her up, start her, and pick up the side stand.

One day I forgot to up the side stand. As I was backing out of my garage the back tire dropped down onto the earth out side. As she dropped down she hit the side stand and over we went.

One time, i just plain forgot to put the side stand down after I shut her off. Yup! Over we went into my HD.

Another time.....well....over we went.

Best
Bob

·
Registered
207 Posts
I know it is VERY heavy on the side stand, especially when fully loaded. Been in this house for 31 years, 1/2 mile back a dirt road with a hard packed gravel driveway. Have had multiple bikes the whole time here including my current 800lb Honda for 5 years, never had a bike fall over from its weight on the side stand. In Sept I come back from a trip out west, come up the driveway, put the side stand down and go in the house to take off my helmet and cold gear. Come back out and it is on its side with the left $350 mirror in several pieces from it smashing into the hard pack. Wasn't a happy camper.

·
Registered
637 Posts
My LT rolled off the side stand and tumbled into my son's brand new Subaru. $1000 damage to the Subaru, nothing to the LT. A car fender is nice and soft to land on.... :(

Now I always go 1st gear & roll it forward to take up the lash before resting her on the sidestand.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My 07 rolled off the sidestand about two days after I picked it up back in September. I had parked it on what I thought was level enough ground (turned out it wasn't) and failed to put it in gear. I spent about two hundred dollars replacing the tip over protection.

It rolled off the centerstand yesterday. Not precisely sure why; it was on level ground, the rear wheel was off the ground, and no one was touching the bike. I was standing behind the bike putting my wallet and cell phone in the Cee Bailey top case rack bag when the bike kinda rolled forward and fell over...its a mystery.

In future I'll use the side stand more and make sure to put it in gear. When I use the centerstand I'll likely chock the front wheel. :cool:

·
Registered
63 Posts
I was on a ferry boat in Glaveston with high winds on the center stand....she wiggled a swayed a lil but stayed where I put her. The harder the wind blew the closer I got to catch it if need be.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,999 Posts
I use the side stand to shut the engine off that way I know it's still in gear.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Knife said:
.... I use the power center stand mostly. The bike has to be in neutral to use it, and I haven't been putting it in gear once it's up. Doesn't seem like it could go anywhere, but from now on I'll do so.
Don't bother. When the bike is on the centerstand, the back tire is not touching the ground. Having the bike in gear won't stop it from rolling forward.

If you want extra insurance against rolling off the centerstand, tie down the front brake lever or strap the stand to the front wheel (good to do when doing maintenance).

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Correction, the side stand

·
Registered
64 Posts
Sorry about the bike hitting the ground man. THAT FIRST GEAR SHOT OFF IS A MUST ON THIS BIKES AS MENTIONED BEFORE. I don`t know what would I do if mine ever falls, I only weight 150 lbs. Sure it will be a funny thing to watch me trying to pick the fat lady up. :histerica .

1 - 20 of 26 Posts