BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I rode The Dragon for the first time on my 09 LT. WOW what a road!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Many Dueling Scars on the front foot pegs. Thought I would be using 3rd gear but ended up in 1st and 2nd for the majority of the ride. Managed to keep it out of the trees and stayed at the Deals Gap Motorcycle Resort. Good resource though many lowest common denominator rules; IE: you can only have a maximum of 2 beers at the bar., plus the lecture from the check-in girl about not damaging or stealing things from the room. I will probably stay at a different resort next time.

Bike's name is now changed from Orson to Stonewall in honor of The famous general who'se advice is
"Do not take council with your fears"

Will

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,073 Posts
Next time stay just down the road on 28 at the Iron Horse Motorcycle lodge. The LT gang from the SE has been staying there for 8 years now. Come back in Oct and join us for some other great area roads. 18-20 Oct and we do it again in April right after tax day. See the Rides, Rallies and Get togethers section for STC and SMFR.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Look up "A Twist of the Wrist II" for some insights on better, safer cornering.

Bob

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
Glad you had a great ride to the CROT (Cross Roads of Time), but it was not recommended to stay at the CROT! The mindset of the people who stay there are inmature and are the ones who cause most of the problems.

Not a place for LT riders to say the least.

Like John said, Ironhorse Motorcycle Lodge is the best in the area.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Still haven't made it to the Dragon :( . Next time you head down that way, take a ride down the "Tripple Nickel", Hwy 555, from Zaynesville, down to the WV boarder. Sometimes I hear it referred to as the Ohio Dragon. It's not quite as intense, but beautiful scenery, longer ride, and no traffic.

·
Premium Member
7,876 Posts
pkpr1998 said:
Glad you had a great ride to the CROT (Cross Roads of Time), but it was not recommended to stay at the CROT! The mindset of the people who stay there are immature and are the ones who cause most of the problems.

Not a place for LT riders to say the least.

Like John said, Ironhorse Motorcycle Lodge is the best in the area.
+1, most definitely.

(and as a side note, even though Brett causes most of the problems at the Iron Horse, every year we manage to convince the owners to let him stay there again. "He'll be better this year - we promise!" :D )

·
Registered
61 Posts
Spent labor day weekend riding the Cherahala Skyway and the Dragon. Actually prefer the skyway, plenty curvy, less traffic and fewer nutcases. Stayed in Tellico Plains on the western end of the skyway in a two bedroom/bath condo for $129/night, right along the river. Very nice accommodations for the wife. Rented through mountain view cabin rentals. Good deal competed to the cabins I have frequently rented in the Blue Ridge Georgia area! Hoping to get back there in October for the colors.

Dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts