BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not have too much info yet
The front cylinder rod bearing had play in it.
Removed cap, and bearing cap is missing, usure where it went.Will be dropping sump soon and investigating.
I ordered a cap from amazon, got one for $33
I may send it back.
Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
by the way I have a used engine and just bought used pistons with rods.
Dont want to rip apart engine if I do not have to.

Would love to replace just bearing caps if I can get away with it.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts

If my memory is correct, the rod is manufactured as a single piece and then broken so each cap is specific to the rod it goes on. If you are talking about a different piece, post some pictures so there is no confusion.

·
Premium Member
7,546 Posts

I am not following your terminology. Generally, the "cap" is the part of the connecting rod that is held to the rest of the connecting rod with two bolts. You remove these two bolts to remove the rod "big end" from the crankshaft. The plain bearings are typically call "shells" and are the part that wears and may need periodic replacement. They are sized to the crankshaft journal.

So, do you mean that half of the bearing shell was missing? Or had the rod actually been taken apart and someone taken the rod cap? Typically, the rod caps are matched to the rods and can't be replaced separately. You need to replace the entire rod if the cap is missing. If only the bearing shell is missing, then you can replace that, but you need the right size. BMW lists three different colors and two stages within each color. I believe these are different sizes, but would have to pull the shop manual to be sure. You have to be very thorough in reviewing what you need and getting the correct parts.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
I am not following your terminology. Generally, the "cap" is the part of the connecting rod that is held to the rest of the connecting rod with two bolts. You remove these two bolts to remove the rod "big end" from the crankshaft. The plain bearings are typically call "shells" and are the part that wears and may need periodic replacement. They are sized to the crankshaft journal.

So, do you mean that half of the bearing shell was missing? Or had the rod actually been taken apart and someone taken the rod cap? Typically, the rod caps are matched to the rods and can't be replaced separately. You need to replace the entire rod if the cap is missing. If only the bearing shell is missing, then you can replace that, but you need the right size. BMW lists three different colors and two stages within each color. I believe these are different sizes, but would have to pull the shop manual to be sure. You have to be very thorough in reviewing what you need and getting the correct parts.
If the bearing shell is missing, it has probably buggered the crank. Agreed about the cap. I was confused also and why I asked for pictures.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,940 Posts
Also there are 6 different bearing caps for these engines, three colors; yellow, green and white. Each has a stage 0 or stage 1. But stages describe re-grinds so that like has never been done.

Also is the metal color of the rods light brown or black. If black they have been over heated due to lack of oil flow (and #1 starves first).

The rod cap bolts are not re-usable as they are stretched.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts