BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What Roadside Assistance is worth having??

Seems some only provide a few miles- not much help if you are out of town.

Suggestions?
 

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
Joined
·
8,602 Posts
drmajor said:
What Roadside Assistance is worth having??

Seems some only provide a few miles- not much help if you are out of town.

Suggestions?
The Best is Good Sam RV. They will tow you to the Nearest "Authorized" repair center. For a BMW Motorcycle that is most of the time to the closest dealer. I have heard of people having their bikes towed a few hundred miles at NO COST to them. I had them on my LT for 5 years & now on my GTL. I have not had to use them yet but I am sure I will some day.
BTW I own a Motorcycle towing company & work with most Roadside companies. 50 miles or $100.00 is the normal amount most roadside service provide.

You can also look at Similar Threads at the bottom of this page. Most also use Good Sam.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
635 Posts
I got the Allstate plan because supposedly they will tow to the nearest authorized facility. I have not had to test that yet, but the plan was recommended to me by someone who had.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
494 Posts
Good Sam for me, had them for about 18 years and love'em.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
171 Posts
Gizmo1137 said:
I got the Allstate plan because supposedly they will tow to the nearest authorized facility. I have not had to test that yet, but the plan was recommended to me by someone who had.

I had allstate for the bikes and cars. My bike broke in downtown Green Bay and they could not find a tow service and had to find my own tow and service company. My wife and I ended up in a truck with a person that had done 6 years for murder. Allstate would not re-imburse me for the tow.

I dropped them as soon as I got home. I figured if they could not find service in a big city like Green Bay I stood no chance in a rural area.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,561 Posts
Good Sam.........................................
Does all our vehicles for one price (+/- 100/YR)
Used them 3 times .........no problems...............
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,287 Posts
++ for Good Sam which is actually underwritten by Allstate. I've had that coverage for about 5 years and used it several times. Multiple roadside tire changes on the 5th wheel RV and 2X to transport my bike. Once when I totalled my GS and another for a flat tire. In all cases total satisfaction. As stated earlier it covers all my vehicles as well as any other vehicle that I'm riding in and if necessary they guarantee towing to the nearest authorized dealer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Have had the Allstate Road Help for several years and have used it twice; the first time the tow was over 150 miles and would have cost $423 but they covered it; we did have to wait over an hour for someone to get there. This last time we used it we had to wait less than a half hour and they towed us to a BMW Dealer which was only about 30 miles away.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
198 Posts
Just as an aside on this thread.......sort of serious but tongue in cheek as well.

GWRRA (Gold WIng Road Riders Association) has a really nice program. Standard membership includes roadside assistance with 35 miles of free towing for any motorcycle you're operating or riding as a passenger. Family membership extends this each registered member. Membership in GWRRA that includes "this" level as a benefit for my wife and me...is $50.

But....for an additional $30 a year.....you get "Rescue Plus" for you and your other registered member. This gives you free towing up to 100 miles for "any" non commercial vehicle.

So, for $80 a year my wife and I have a joint GWRRA membership, get the "Wing World" magazine......an opportunity to join local chapter life.... (see me smiling) "and" we both get towing coverage for all our bikes, cars, pick up ,etc. for 100 mile tows...for a year.

I figured since I have my old WIng....why not! :) I'ts a heck of a deal.

JD
 

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
Joined
·
8,602 Posts
Roamrider said:
Just as an aside on this thread.......sort of serious but tongue in cheek as well.

GWRRA (Gold WIng Road Riders Association) has a really nice program. Standard membership includes roadside assistance with 35 miles of free towing for any motorcycle you're operating or riding as a passenger. Family membership extends this each registered member. Membership in GWRRA that includes "this" level as a benefit for my wife and me...is $50.

But....for an additional $30 a year.....you get "Rescue Plus" for you and your other registered member. This gives you free towing up to 100 miles for "any" non commercial vehicle.

So, for $80 a year my wife and I have a joint GWRRA membership, get the "Wing World" magazine......an opportunity to join local chapter life.... (see me smiling) "and" we both get towing coverage for all our bikes, cars, pick up ,etc. for 100 mile tows...for a year.

I figured since I have my old WIng....why not! :) I'ts a heck of a deal.

JD
Yes BUT.... it ONLY covers 100 miles !!! For $79.95 Good Sam will tow "TO THE NEAREST" BMW Shop even if it is 300 miles away or in your case the closest Honda Shop.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,106 Posts
I just took a look at my Progressive Policy and their towing plan. It only covers $75.00 towing and labor costs and costs me $10.00 a year. I called Progressive and asked if there were other options for increased coverage and they said NO. I will check out Good Sam as I am looking for something to cover both cars and both bikes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,571 Posts
I have Foremost insurance. They covered my tow (to a Honda dealer for a tire), and sent me a $275.00 check, with no questions.

On a side note, I just got a letter from AAA, stating that they will no longer offer roadside assistance for motorcycles, or RVs on their "standard" plan, which is what I have.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,561 Posts
I did have, at one time, BMWMOA roadside assistance until I noticed 35 miles towing.....
Living in the West at that time, 35 miles is a joke..........................
AAA said "to nearest point of safety in the direction the tow vehicle came from."......."nearest point of safety" .... the hell does that mean ?
Good Sam sent me in writting "if your vehicle requires a BMW Motorcycle shop, we'll have it towed there if it's 1000 miles".....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
198 Posts
katnapinn said:
Yes BUT.... it ONLY covers 100 miles !!! For $79.95 Good Sam will tow "TO THE NEAREST" BMW Shop even if it is 300 miles away or in your case the closest Honda Shop.
You're right....that's a good deal. Still, the GWRRA thing aint bad for $30 additional.

We'll look into Good Sam next time round.

JD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
204 Posts
I had the mis-fortune of needing a tow on the way back from Rally in the Poconos yesterday due to a slipping clutch. Having Progressive roadside assistance, I called them and they contacted a local tow firm. They covered 30 miles, after that it cost me $2 a mile. Worst part about it was the fact that I waited for over 4 hours for the tow truck to show. He said he was almost to me within an hour but got a tripleA call and his boss said all TripleA calls have priority so he left me to go 40 miles away to handle that one first! Sheesh, got awful cold standing around that rest area at night...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,247 Posts
We have AAA Plus RV which is 100 mile towing but never used it for the Bike. Also Progressive insurance with towing to "nearest authorized dealer". Again nerver used it for the Bike. 78,000 non-stranded miles. I know I just jinxed myself. And after reading some of the above I think I'll have to check out Good Sam
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
171 Posts
Lynn_Keen said:
++ for Good Sam which is actually underwritten by Allstate. I've had that coverage for about 5 years and used it several times. Multiple roadside tire changes on the 5th wheel RV and 2X to transport my bike. Once when I totalled my GS and another for a flat tire. In all cases total satisfaction. As stated earlier it covers all my vehicles as well as any other vehicle that I'm riding in and if necessary they guarantee towing to the nearest authorized dealer.
Same plan I had, I got it through KOA. I have never heard anything bad about it but it sure was not worth it for me!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,138 Posts
+1 on the AAA RV Plus. So Mike, if you jinxed yourself, I guess I'm jinxed too!

John
mwnahas said:
We have AAA Plus RV which is 100 mile towing but never used it for the Bike. Also Progressive insurance with towing to "nearest authorized dealer". Again nerver used it for the Bike. 78,000 non-stranded miles. I know I just jinxed myself. And after reading some of the above I think I'll have to check out Good Sam
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,886 Posts
This is a different view. I don't carry any towing insurance and if ever need will get on the phone and make local arraignments. Been riding and driving since I was 16 so 40 + years at X $$$ a year = $1,000.00(s) + not spent.

My background was in wireless communications and have sold two-way radios to wrecker services. They all handled AAA, along with their own independent towing service. If they get an AAA call and on their way, get an independent call, they scoot to the independent call (more money) and then the AAA call.

They all had a private AAA radio and their own radio system.

It only takes several years of not needing a service to come out ahead and how many times in a lifetime of riding will you need a tow?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,206 Posts
DanDiver said:
This is a different view. I don't carry any towing insurance and if ever need will get on the phone and make local arraignments. Been riding and driving since I was 16 so 40 + years at X $$$ a year = $1,000.00(s) + not spent.

My background was in wireless communications and have sold two-way radios to wrecker services. They all handled AAA, along with their own independent towing service. If they get an AAA call and on their way, get an independent call, they scoot to the independent call (more money) and then the AAA call.

They all had a private AAA radio and their own radio system.

It only takes several years of not needing a service to come out ahead and how many times in a lifetime of riding will you need a tow?
Agreed. Agreed. Agreed.
Every situation is different. But insurances work by regions and depending on where you are and how good/reliable the towing service they are contracting is that determines the restrictions and results for what you are paying.
Terms like "50 mile limit" or "direction of tow truck" or even long waits is not something envisioned when the policy and premiums are drawn up. And if in spite of your best policy you still have to find the bottom of your pocket and be on the edge waiting to go over and the truck that was initially coming to your rescue speeds by for a few $$$ more then to *#H with it what good are they to me.
BMW covers me 36/36,000 so I am going to try and add to that for savings. Like Dan said if I actually need towing I will do my shopping then. Hopefully I will be ahead.
ride safe :bmw:
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top