BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which companies offer the best roadside assistance insurance in the United States? I am currently using AAA but have no actual experience with them.

·
Registered
240 Posts
You have to have RV coverage for them to tow a motorcycle. I used them when I broke the driveshaft on my RT. Luckily, the dealer was only 40 miles away.

·
Registered
239 Posts
You might want to check your motorcycle insurance policy. Many policies offer or include Towing coverage. I'm with Progressive and this is how they describe their version of it --

Roadside assistance
If you get stuck or your bike is disabled, we’ll tow it to the nearest repair shop for free. You just have to be within 100 feet of the road. You can also add trip interruption to pay for food and lodging expenses up to $500 if you’re away from home (you must have roadside assistance first then add trip interruption).​

Thankfully, I've never had to use it. But, if I ever do, I'm sure the responsiveness of the towing service will have nothing to do with Progressive's ability to place phone calls to towing companies. It'll all depend on where I am, how far to the nearest tow service, do they have a truck that's available, do they have a truck that can handle a bike, did I give them decent directions to my location, etc.

·
Premium Member
7,615 Posts
You might want to check your motorcycle insurance policy. Many policies offer or include Towing coverage. I'm with Progressive and this is how they describe their version of it --

Roadside assistance
If you get stuck or your bike is disabled, we’ll tow it to the nearest repair shop for free. You just have to be within 100 feet of the road. You can also add trip interruption to pay for food and lodging expenses up to $500 if you’re away from home (you must have roadside assistance first then add trip interruption).​

Thankfully, I've never had to use it. But, if I ever do, I'm sure the responsiveness of the towing service will have nothing to do with Progressive's ability to place phone calls to towing companies. It'll all depend on where I am, how far to the nearest tow service, do they have a truck that's available, do they have a truck that can handle a bike, did I give them decent directions to my location, etc.

I currently have what Progressive offers and MOA Platinum. I have not used either. I did use the towing through my car insurance (Erie) and was not impressed. They would not tow to my dealer or even an independent garage I trust. Only the nearest garage. I did not trust their nearest garage so I had to pay the difference for towing to the dealer I use. It was 20 miles vs. 4 so I paid the bulk of the cost in the end. Progressive is worded nearly the same as Erie, so I expect your BMW would get towed to a Harley dealer (they're everywhere) or independent shop. Good luck with that.

I am considering Good Sam's given the positive reviews I've read here and elsewhere. And the MOA Platinum packaged took a huge price jump at my last renewal. I think I paid $360 for 5 years previously and the last renewal was over $200 for two years. This includes the club membership, not just road service, but I have found MOA fairly useless.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
I currently have what Progressive offers and MOA Platinum. I have not used either. I did use the towing through my car insurance (Erie) and was not impressed. They would not tow to my dealer or even an independent garage I trust. Only the nearest garage. I did not trust their nearest garage so I had to pay the difference for towing to the dealer I use. It was 20 miles vs. 4 so I paid the bulk of the cost in the end. Progressive is worded nearly the same as Erie, so I expect your BMW would get towed to a Harley dealer (they're everywhere) or independent shop. Good luck with that.

I am considering Good Sam's given the positive reviews I've read here and elsewhere. And the MOA Platinum packaged took a huge price jump at my last renewal. I think I paid $360 for 5 years previously and the last renewal was over $200 for two years. This includes the club membership, not just road service, but I have found MOA fairly useless.
I am considering Good Sam also. I have never had a roadside plan but it seems both my 2 wheeler and 4 wheeler are doing nothing but getting older along with me :)

·
Registered
239 Posts
I guess you guys are looking for something more than me. If I break down, I just want to get my bike off the side of the road and back to some sort of a town where I can find a cell phone signal, a motel and some food. I'll take care of things from there.

Maybe you guys are from Back East or something? Out West, the basic idea is to not die from exposure or sunstroke or hypothermia if you don't have to. :lol8:

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
I've had Good Sam for about 10 years. Used it a fe times on cars and trucks and once for an old Honda I had. One of the perks of Good Sam is they cover the person not the vehicle so you covered in anything you drive/ride.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
I've had Good Sam for about 10 years. Used it a fe times on cars and trucks and once for an old Honda I had. One of the perks of Good Sam is they cover the person not the vehicle so you covered in anything you drive/ride.
Just signed up minutes ago for the CCR-R venture. I liked that perk of it covering me even if I was in someone elses vehicle.

Reactions: katnapinn

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,171 Posts
Just signed up minutes ago for the CCR-R venture. I liked that perk of it covering me even if I was in someone elses vehicle.
Will it cover me if I am riding with you too?>:)

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Will it cover me if I am riding with you too?>:)
I think I have to be the one riding/driving but hey, they won't know if I tell them I borrowed your bike. >:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have used AAA for 3 decades. I won't ride without it. They have come to the rescue many times...sometimes hundreds of miles. I recommend getting the premium coverage so you are not limited to a 50 mile tow. Yes, many insurance policies already include it, but very limited coverage.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,171 Posts
Guess I have been luck in my 50 years of riding I have only had to call once and that was for fuel when I ran out.

Reactions: Voyager

·
Premium Member
7,615 Posts
Guess I have been luck in my 50 years of riding I have only had to call once and that was for fuel when I ran out.
This was my first call in 42 years of riding. And probably my last as it is easier just to take care of things yourself and save the road service plan cost. :grin:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the MOA platinum plan and have used it 3 times over the years with great success
.1 fuel strip sensor failure for out of gas issue (now use trip odometer)
.2 wife's car battery
.3 buddy's GL1500 died after crossing the border into Michigan. Had to wait for a driver that was cleared for cross border travel but then they towed it to the Honda dearlership on the Canadian side.

·
Premium Member
7,615 Posts
I have the MOA platinum plan and have used it 3 times over the years with great success
.1 fuel strip sensor failure for out of gas issue (now use trip odometer)
.2 wife's car battery
.3 buddy's GL1500 died after crossing the border into Michigan. Had to wait for a driver that was cleared for cross border travel but then they towed it to the Honda dearlership on the Canadian side.
Technically, didn't use the emergency road service. I was at a hotel 200 yards from a Honda dealer when I found the screw in my tire. I used the tire replacement coverage.

Who administers the program in Canada? I suspect it may not be the same company.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts