BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on riding the LT from Florida to western NY in early July to visit family. I'm looking for recommended roads traveling north through Georgia, SC, NC, Virginia, and Maryland. I have a clear idea of the roads I'd like to take through FL, PA, and NY. For the exception of FL (I just wanna get outta here in a hurry) I'd like to stay off of expressways and enjoy the sights, and roads these states have to offer. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
277 Posts
I would definitely consider the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive (NC to Viriginia)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Dave, We are taking our trip from Baton Rouge,La. to Nova Scotia this July. I am going to Gainesville,Ga Taking part of Hwy 128 North cutting over to Asheville to get the Blueridge parkway and then up to Skyline Drive. Map this out on garmen Mapsourse and it looks like a great rid. Cant way. Hope I have my new GTL by then also. have fun :dance:

2012 GTL ???
2006 LT
2004 Roadking
2002 Vulcan Nomad
1999 Intercepter
1990 Intercepter
1983 Intercepter
1978 Honda 750F

·
Registered
17 Posts
How about taking a loop around the Washington D.C. Beltway on Friday around 4:45 - 7:00.

Don't forget the mixing bowl in VA on I-95...

Today is Easter Friday - a good day to do that. Plenty of sights...

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
deweychop said:
Road suggestions going north on the east coast
Any suggestions?
Yup.....Don't go north on the East coast, most of it sucks for riding!

·
Registered
113 Posts
I run up to Binghamton NY on my LT 2-3 times a summer and seldom take an interstate. I don't know how far south in Fl you are but Maggie Valley NC is a comfortable 10 hrs from here in St. Augustine Fl..-- I get on 1 anywheres south of Waycross Ga.and that will take you all the way up to west of Augusta where you link with 17 to 43 to 378 then over to 28 in SC and north to 178 that runs into 215. From there you can jump on the Blueridge PKWY to head over and drop down into Maggie Valley. Deals Gap is just west of Maggie Valley if you care to do that but there is alot of twisty stuff in the area that doesn't have as many on coming young guns that like to hang a knee or clutch lever over into your space.
You can take the Blueridge and Skyline all the way up to Front Royal Va.if you've got the time. Speed limit is usually around 45mph. The locals say 50mph is tolerated but I understand its a federal ticket if you get one. I usually wait for a sport rider or 2 to catch and pass me. Try to do the Pkwy during a week day so grandma isn't around every turn at 25mph. --I may be going up around that same time frame so give me a holler and we can start a gang.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts