BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2001 1200LT. I am wondering about getting road side assistance for it. I have GEICO insurance. Any suggestions?

George

·
Registered
712 Posts
Roadside assistance is included with my factory warranty, extended warranty, and insurance (21st century). If you do not have a warranty, maybe you should change insurance.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Does your insurance include towing in the event of breakdown/crash? If not, get MoTow. Should support AMA anyway :) I've had good experience with CrossCountry, but always with new bike, then extended when factory warranty expired.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,158 Posts
The roadside assistance offered by your insurance may cover towing to the nearest facility, and I am sure there is a mileage restriction.

I have AAA Premium with RV?Motorcycle. Among other things it includes 1 towing up to 200 miles during the year.

·
Registered
243 Posts
We have Good Sam. It protects any vehicle I am driving even if it isn't mine and has unlimited mileage. I haven't used it but I know people that have with their bikes and RVs and they are all very happy with it.

·
Premium Member
1,411 Posts
I use Progressive. They tow to the nearest qualified repair facility. They did really well by me last year. Over $1000 in cost for a tow/overnight storage/tow to a qualified dealer, and they raised my rate from $146 to $158 / year. I think I'll stick with them. :D

Jer

·
Premium Member
4,878 Posts
jers99lt said:
I use Progressive. They tow to the nearest qualified repair facility. They did really well by me last year. Over $1000 in cost for a tow/overnight storage/tow to a qualified dealer, and they raised my rate from $146 to $158 / year. I think I'll stick with them. :D

Jer
That is an awesome rate.... Do you have uninsured motorist with your policy? I feel like I'm getting hosed by State Farm. No towing... Never had an accident, last performance citation was 15 years ago and I'm paying about $1,000 per vehicle a year. Maybe it's just Florida!

·
Premium Member
1,411 Posts
dandiver said:
That is an awesome rate.... Do you have uninsured motorist with your policy? I feel like I'm getting hosed by State Farm. No towing... Never had an accident, last performance citation was 15 years ago and I'm paying about $1,000 per vehicle a year. Maybe it's just Florida!
That's just for the MC. Now my cages on State Farm is a whole other ball game. I started with a MC quote from S.F., but they ended up over twice what Progressive quoted. I don't know about uninsured motorists on the MC. When I get home today I'll check the policy.

Jer

·
Registered
449 Posts
One of my issues (amongst many) is that it's great to get the bike towed to a the nearest qualified repair facility (in my case about 120 miles). The sticking point comes up as to how that bike gets back, especially if the shop needs the bike for an extended period.

Most of the towing benefits that insurances offer only tow one way, or have a mileage/cost cap that applies to round trip which kills it for me.

I had heard about Good Sam before but forgotten the name, so thanks for refreshing it. For ~$90 a year it is tempting to get that unlimited towing. I wonder if you upgrade to the Platinum membership if you can get two bikes towed at once?

Cheers,

·
Premium Member
1,411 Posts
jers99lt said:
That's just for the MC. Now my cages on State Farm is a whole other ball game. I started with a MC quote from S.F., but they ended up over twice what Progressive quoted. I don't know about uninsured motorists on the MC. When I get home today I'll check the policy.

Jer
I looked: Uninsured/Underinsured for $20k each person/$40k each accident. Certainly not full coverage.

Jer

·
Premium Member
4,878 Posts
Thanks... That's not too bad, just means, I think, that if someone hits you and they don't have insurance ( I think about 1 in 4 in Florida are either without insurance or are very under insured) you are limited to that amount. About one day in the ER!

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
You know that in Florida you do not have to have insurance on your motorcycle. Stupid, but true.

About roadside. I just got the Allstate KOA. Can not remember, some m/c forum was saying good things with this service.

·
Premium Member
4,878 Posts
Thanks John,

Didn't know that about insurance in Florida, but I don't think I'd risk it! Been very lucky so far, but seen way too many accidents to drop it. My agent keeps coming back to "what if?" Seems the most expensive part of the insurance is the liability and uninsured motorist. If you needed it and didn't have it, you'd be in trouble.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the input and suggestions. I went with Allstate/KOA. I liked their towing the best. :dance: :dance:

George

·
Registered
14 Posts
I also have a great rate with Progressive on the motorcycle - just $141 per year. Have CrossCountry for the RA. Had one "opportunity" to call them when I had a rear tire issue a couple of years ago. The first thing the operator asked me was "do you have a spare?" Just about lost it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts