BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My BMW mentor Keith Patchet will have passed 14 years ago in September. When I was first in touch with Keith He was the sole proprietor of Keith's Touring Specialties. I owned a 78 R80/7 with a Luftmeister Faring and Saddlebags- The poor man's R100Rt. It was a wonderful bike; all it needed was a new BMW. Our first conversation lasted 2.5 hours during which, Keith talked me out of most everything he sold save for a Big Bulb conversion kit and his technical writings. He was my TYPE 247 Guru and talked me through an entire engine rebuild as well as his Mantra- Valves, Timing and Carbs-DEAD DIRTY LAST!!! Whenever I would call him, and start with "Keith, I did X,Y, and Z and the Sonofabitch STILL doesn't work right!!!" he would answer with the phrase I hated most; "Well, it sounds like you're making real great progress". As Keith lived in Las Vegas, New Mexico we had a phone relationship for 4 years before we came fact to face. In August 1998, My wife and I went to New Mexico to meet my mentor. When I had gotten there , I realized that he had hidden the fact that he was dying of advanced Prostate Cancer and had less than a month to live. He taught me everything I know about Type 247 Boxers. When he had died, I wrote an a tribute to him for publication in MOA. The Editor at the time was Sandy Cohen. I re-submitted the article 3 times and the bitch ignored it, ergo it wasn't ever printed. Now that I have the blessing of this venue, I wl finally honor my friend and mentor. Keith is buried in the Veterans Cemetary in Albuquerque New Mexico. I will visit there someday. If you are there, stop buy and tell Keith that Will 3 hawks says HI!
Via Con Dios Mio Fratelo

Will3hawks

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Great tribute. Great long term, long distance friendship. A real blessing.

Get those prostate specific antigen (PSA) tests guys. Might just save your life.

Loren

·
Registered
1 Posts
will3hawks said:
My BMW mentor Keith Patchet will have passed 14 years ago in September. When I was first in touch with Keith He was the sole proprietor of Keith's Touring Specialties. I owned a 78 R80/7 with a Luftmeister Faring and Saddlebags- The poor man's R100Rt. It was a wonderful bike; all it needed was a new BMW. Our first conversation lasted 2.5 hours during which, Keith talked me out of most everything he sold save for a Big Bulb conversion kit and his technical writings. He was my TYPE 247 Guru and talked me through an entire engine rebuild as well as his Mantra- Valves, Timing and Carbs-DEAD DIRTY LAST!!! Whenever I would call him, and start with "Keith, I did X,Y, and Z and the Sonofabitch STILL doesn't work right!!!" he would answer with the phrase I hated most; "Well, it sounds like you're making real great progress". As Keith lived in Las Vegas, New Mexico we had a phone relationship for 4 years before we came fact to face. In August 1998, My wife and I went to New Mexico to meet my mentor. When I had gotten there , I realized that he had hidden the fact that he was dying of advanced Prostate Cancer and had less than a month to live. He taught me everything I know about Type 247 Boxers. When he had died, I wrote an a tribute to him for publication in MOA. The Editor at the time was Sandy Cohen. I re-submitted the article 3 times and the bitch ignored it, ergo it wasn't ever printed. Now that I have the blessing of this venue, I wl finally honor my friend and mentor. Keith is buried in the Veterans Cemetary in Albuquerque New Mexico. I will visit there someday. If you are there, stop buy and tell Keith that Will 3 hawks says HI!
Via Con Dios Mio Fratelo

Will3hawks
I googled Keith Patchett, who I knew in the 80's when he was in New Jersey,
off Kennedy Boulevard... he ran a little basement business Keith's Touring Specialties. I had a little R65 bike, and a job at NYU Medical Center. I was just
dating my wife who would ride on my bike and had a skirt on that rode up too. We stopped traffic. Keith gave me advice that I don't recall the words, just the way he said it. I used to save up and pour money into my little bike. Basically ruined it. I lost it the bike when I loaned it to someone who rode it. They had friends who torched it because they thought it was his and the rest is the end of my riding history. But I always remembered Keith and his man cave where we would talk Touring theory and electric heating in the rain. You can only get so wet; Keith, I carry your memory in my heart.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts