• No

Votes: 4 80.0%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2019 R1250RT
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my bike last year I paid for a 5 year rim/tire insurance. It costs $399 CAD and is good across Canada and the US. It covers rim damage and tire damage not including normal wear. I asked for the dealer to send me a copy of the policy in case I need it. Turns out they forgot to activate the policy and now I have the option of them activating it now or receiving a refund. So the question is, do you guys think this is worth it? I've been riding for 6 or 7 years now and have never had a flat or dented wheel. I could put this money towards my Abba Skylift and crash bars that I'm planning to order this month...

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
Personally, I'd take a refund.

I've done a little riding over the years and can't recall ever damaging a rim. The only tire damage has been from punctures. Considering the cost of tire insurance vs the probability of tire damage over time isn't worth the money for the insurance.

Again, just my opinion.... ¯\(ツ)

·
Registered
574 Posts
Last year I dented the front rim on my R1200RT. It was repairable, so it cost me $200 to get it straightened. The paint wasn't a perfect match (Wurth Silver wheel paint) but with the brake disks in place and the wheel mounted to the bike you can't even tell it was ever touched. If the wheel were not repairable, the part alone would have been about $1200.

I bought an R Nine T last fall and did end up getting the wheel and tire protection on that because I figured that the spoked rims could be even more expensive to replace. I was wrong about that as they're cheaper, but they may be more likely to be damaged in a way that requires replacement rather than repair. I'm glad I got it.

Reactions: Audi403

·
Registered
2018 R1200RT
263 Posts
Refund, absolutely. These car/motorcycle repair insurance policies are scams. I scored a deal on a new $38K Ford Edge for about $20K (long story), and feeling generous, told 'em to just add in the ($1600, I believe) after market service policy. Well, six and a half years later, at about 60K miles (policy is 7 yrs, 90K), the left rear bearing goes out. I've never had a bearing fail on a car or truck I've owned, and I've put a lot of miles on them (but have generally turned 'em over before 120K). In fact, I had taken the car to a Ford dealer just last fall, and they couldn't diagnose the problem (i.e. the noise I heard was tough to replicate). After a winter/spring tire switch, BOTH tires had that sound, like they were damaged due to improper balancing, but the spring set was nearly new. So, I thought "Oh oh, I was right, it's gotta be a bad bearing".

Short story long, after waiting SIX FREAKIN' WEEKS to get an appointment, the car by that time sounds like an 18 wheeler rumbling/roaring down the road, I finally get it into Ford, and they have to use a stethoscope to figure out which wheel has the problem. FOUR HOURS later, they come out and say "Yup, I guess you were right. We'll schedule you for the repair in about six weeks, 'cause we know you don't wanna wait all day for this", to which I said "Fix the damn thing, now, my day is already ruined, and it's a hazard to continue driving with this bad bearing."

Moral of the story: "Service Insurance" company informs me that they only pay for repairs if you call them in advance, and get their permission to fix the problem. The have enough policy hooks and exceptions, that they rarely pay out, and when/if they do, it's always less than the cost of the repair. If I hadn't ordered the immediate repair, I'd have had to either leave the car with Ford and rent a replacement, or park it until Ford could get authorization and schedule the repair "someday", and tell my wife to walk to work.

Nope, save your money, stuff it in a mattress or put it into other equipment.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts