BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right turn signal not working. The bulbs are ok; work on flashers and on security. So, is this the switch in the right grip or ?

·
Registered
335 Posts
I had that problem with my '00 model soon after I bought it in '05. I assumed it was a bulb burned out but a new bulb didn't fix it. Instead, the problem was that the light socket in the front turn signal was rusted, likely caused by moisture having gotten past the seal. I cleaned up the rust with some emery cloth and it lit right up and was still working great with the old bulb 6 years later when I sold the bike. Maybe you will have an easy fix, too.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My right turn signal also failed. The first time, spraying contact cleaner into/around the switch brought it back for several months. Then it started sporadically failing, eventually total failure. Contact spray didn't help. Emergency flashers work, so it's not the flasher unit or bulbs. The right button won't cancel the left blinker like it should, so I assume it's just not making contact at all.
My questions: Can the switch be cleaned, repaired or replaced without replacing the whole right switchbank ($140 for used unit on BB)? I tried removing the two screws (front one obvious, back one hidden in the second mirror mount hole. I couldn't get the switchbank to pop off--afraid to force it. Are there other screws that need to be removed (i.e., the ones on the bottom plate?)?
If I do replace the switchbank, are there plugs for the harnesses on the handlebar end, or do you have to replace the harness with the switches, which means tearing off a lot of tupperware.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,918 Posts
Ok you have half the screws out. There are two on the bottom cover, a chrome one and a black one. Then the switch gear will come off. Thanks to a fellow in Brazil who sourced them, the switches are available from Digi-Key . Here are a few pics from the other side switch gear to show what to look for.

Attachments

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,918 Posts
Solder job.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts