BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the way home today I turned on the right turn signal to signal a rt turn, nothing, does not show on the dash, completely dead. They were working fine earlier. Left side works fine and shows on dash. The other buttons on the right handlebar work fine. Any ideas?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,431 Posts
sheldan2 said:
On the way home today I turned on the right turn signal to signal a rt turn, nothing, does not show on the dash, completely dead. They were working fine earlier. Left side works fine and shows on dash. The other buttons on the right handlebar work fine. Any ideas?

Boy Mike, I haven't dug into your problem much at all, but first instincts say bad switch.

I'll bet John Zeiler may have some input if he's around.

I'm not sure right off were you can ring out the switch wires. I'll see what I can find out in case no one else replies.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks John, I am sure it is something simple. I even tried the hazards, they only work on one side.

bowlesj said:
Boy Mike, I haven't dug into your problem much at all, but first instincts say bad switch.

I'll bet John Zeiler may have some input if he's around.

I'm not sure right off were you can ring out the switch wires. I'll see what I can find out in case no one else replies.
 

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
Joined
·
13,796 Posts
Thanks for the voice of support John. I did 655 miles today and have settled into the motel room in Tyler, TX.


Unfortunately a review of possible causes, given what works and does not work, leaves me with the rather expensive (120) flasher unit as the most likely culprit. Unless you can find the splice point where that side is tied together after the output of the flasher. That wire color , for all years , is blue black. You may find a broken wire, Oh and the flasher is ,of course, inside the electrical box under the tank.

One more quick check before I pronounce... Do they both light when the alarm is engaged/disengaged?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for getting back with this one, the flashers only work on one side when the alarm is engaged, only thing that was done within the last couple of days was change out the rear shock, I did take the tank off to do it, so I could change out the fuel and air filter while in there at the same time. Do you think I might have pinched a wire putting something back on? I will probably pull it all apart later today to check


jzeiler said:
Thanks for the voice of support John. I did 655 miles today and have settled into the motel room in Tyler, TX.


Unfortunately a review of possible causes, given what works and does not work, leaves me with the rather expensive (120) flasher unit as the most likely culprit. Unless you can find the splice point where that side is tied together after the output of the flasher. That wire color , for all years , is blue black. You may find a broken wire, Oh and the flasher is ,of course, inside the electrical box under the tank.

One more quick check before I pronounce... Do they both light when the alarm is engaged/disengaged?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
121 Posts
Have you checked the bulbs, swap the working side ones to the other side, not sure if its same on bike, but on cars i have had if a bulb fails that side does not work, as im a cheapskate i always start with the cheapest item.
Regards
Stevie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you have a bulb out on one side , the remaining bulb will flash faster than normal on the LT, but I will try the swap, thanks.
 

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
Joined
·
13,796 Posts
I had a bulb go out on the 05 and the indication, IIRC, was the dash light came on but would not flash. I know it was different than the load depenent flashers that cars use, so maybe a bulb out could cause this. Worth a try. The chances of pinching a wire when doing the tank is very slim.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,431 Posts
sheldan2 said:
Thanks John, I am sure it is something simple. I even tried the hazards, they only work on one side.

Given that bit of info as well as the follow on stuff. Sounds like John's idea of the flasher unit is probably pretty accurate. Especially since the indication isn't showing on the dash.
But do trace that wire from the flasher as far as you can. The Clymer diagram shows pin 6 on the flasher unit is the 12 vdc for the right side, all bulbs. Also, FWIW the Clymer shows this as brown on blue, but the Clymer has been known to be inaccurate in the past.

You might be able to swap the wire , or jump to pin 12 on the flasher, which is for the left bulbs, to confirm a flasher failure of the right circuit. The left circuit appears to be orange on blue at pin 12.

I don't know how your flasher unit faults for bad bulbs either, maybe that could be the problem. Let us know and good luck.


John Z, have a nice trip to Texas and stay cool :D .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
John B, and John Z.
Thanks for the info, I even tried swapping bulbs around, did not do anything. I did notice this morning first thing, as I turned the bike on, there was a slight green glow on the dash for just a second right as I switched the turn signal on, then nothing. I will pull it all apart and see if I maybe pinched a wire when I took the tank off, or else I will see if Jack can trouble shoot it when he gets back into town. I try to stay away from wires as much as possible. I will have him read your post so he can follow it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,986 Posts
Well, that's 3 mph faster than the max speed I recorded!!!! :eek:

Hey...I got all the plastic, stingray, tank, etc...etc...etc off this evening. Even opened the electrical box and peeked inside :think: But, I did not yet try to diagnose it as I am a bit tired FROM JUST GETTING TO IT!!! :histerica BTW, your fuel tank is about FULL and weighs 267 lbs!!! :p

Anyway, I will spend some time tomorrow (Tues) in troubleshooting the relay, switch, etc. Just wanted to be "fresh" when chasing the electrical gremlins. ;)

When I get the turn signals working, I'll call ya so you can come over here and put this ten tons of plastic back on this thing!!!! :histerica

Don't worry...she'll be working soon. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,986 Posts
The turn signals are now working!!!!! :D

SUMMARY:

1. John was right! It was the turn signal flasher :D
2. It was in the electrical box under the tank :mad:

RUB IT IN ON YOU OTHER POOR SOULS WHO HAVE TO TAKE YOUR BIKES TO A BMW SHOP INFORMATION: :histerica

At my shop, Mike got his LT repaired for the cost of parts only...labor was FREE. ;)
He wisely got a $120. flasher :eek: for less than $50. from cycles recycled (Good move Mike!) :thumb:

And...to boot...I even gave him a nicely loaded '06 K1200GT to ride as a "loaner" for a few days while I perform the repairs!!!! Now...how's that for service!!!! Friendship does have it's benefits (and he would do the same for me!).

BTW Mike, your LT will be "re-dressed" and ready for pick up tomorrow or Friday...take your time and enjoy! :bike:

Disclaimer: Pastor's Bike Works - our warranty???? "If it breaks, you get to keep BOTH pieces!"
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,431 Posts
cccpastorjack said:
The turn signals are now working!!!!! :D

SUMMARY:

1. John was right! It was the turn signal flasher :D
2. It was in the electrical box under the tank :mad:

RUB IT IN ON YOU OTHER POOR SOULS WHO HAVE TO TAKE YOUR BIKES TO A BMW SHOP INFORMATION: :histerica

At my shop, Mike got his LT repaired for the cost of parts only...labor was FREE. ;)
He wisely got a $120. flasher :eek: for less than $50. from cycles recycled (Good move Mike!) :thumb:

And...to boot...I even gave him a nicely loaded '06 K1200GT to ride as a "loaner" for a few days while I perform the repairs!!!! Now...how's that for service!!!! Friendship does have it's benefits (and he would do the same for me!).

BTW Mike, your LT will be "re-dressed" and ready for pick up tomorrow or Friday...take your time and enjoy! :bike:

Disclaimer: Pastor's Bike Works - our warranty???? "If it breaks, you get to keep BOTH pieces!"
Nice work Jack. I'll bring mine by Friday. I'm sure I can find something that needs fixed.:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks to Jack for all his hard work again on the bike, and thanks to John Z. and John B. for the info needed to diagnose the problem. Will be by 3rd Friday in November to return the GT.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top