BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bike fell over on its right side when backing down my driveway which slopes downward to the road. There's one little point where my feet don't touch the ground as the driveway transitions to the sidewalk. Over she goes at about 1/4 mph in reverse which was enough to break off both of the tabs which hold the peg to the mount.

One of the tabs just broke off flush with the peg but the other tab broke away flush with the peg AND snapped in half along the long axis.

There seem to be NO rt frt pegs available so I asked a guy in a neighboring community who had recently welded on my aluminum boat if he could fix it.

He eliminated the goofy little tabs and made a solid piece of aluminum to replace them. Much stronger than original.

Here is what he came up with (Click on image to enlarge):

He lengthened the peg very slightly in order to allow for the weld bead but it is totally un-noticeable when installed.

Loren

·
Registered
375 Posts
Hi did a good Job Loren, very good. I think he knows what he is doing. I work my self with aluminum, is perfect.

Manfred

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Looks better than new Loren! Stronger too!

John

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the encouragement John and Manfred. I rode the bike to his shop with a peg borrowed from John(AlaskaFish) so that he could see one intact. He made a couple measurements, took the 2 broken tabs which were in three pieces and when I came to pick it up this was his solution.

For about a second I thought about how the peg would stay intact while fracturing the plate. Then I recalled how many of the plates I saw on ebay starting at $10.

Thank you again John for the loan of the peg.

Loren

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
You're very welcome Loren! That is what this site is all about: making friends. But I will say that it would have been missed much more if we didn't have the back up ride: the Tiger. Tks to Tigger we did not even miss the peg.

John
wa1200lt said:
Thanks for the encouragement John and Manfred. I rode the bike to his shop with a peg borrowed from John(AlaskaFish) so that he could see one intact. He made a couple measurements, took the 2 broken tabs which were in three pieces and when I came to pick it up this was his solution.

For about a second I thought about how the peg would stay intact while fracturing the plate. Then I recalled how many of the plates I saw on ebay starting at $10.

Thank you again John for the loan of the peg.

Loren

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very complex and very technical! Probably too much so to go into it in this forum! lol

Loren
clayton said:
How does a sidecar rig fall over?;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts