BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the first right decision has been made. I am looking for a k1200LT. There are two 1999's that look good and are in my price range. What should I look for in examining these bikes and what should I listen for on the test drives. Is there a year model or model that I should stay away from? Thanks

·
Registered
335 Posts
willcanada said:
I know the first right decision has been made. I am looking for a k1200LT. There are two 1999's that look good and are in my price range. What should I look for in examining these bikes and what should I listen for on the test drives. Is there a year model or model that I should stay away from? Thanks
The '99 through '04 models are all fundamentally the same. Most of the differences were in trim packages - more shiny, more money. The only functional change was in the braking system in about '02 or '03. The most important thing you can try to find out is how well the bike has been maintained. If you can, find out the history of the clutch. If it has been replaced recently that's good because if you have to pay to have that done, the cost of motorcycling fun is going to jump about $2K. The '05 and newer models have a few modifications that make them more attractive to me but I got along very well with my former '00 model for about 6 years and would still be happy with it if the trade bug hadn't bit me. They're all good.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
All true excepth the abs brake change occurred on Jan 1, 2001. If the brakes say BREMBO on the calipers they are absII. If they say BMW they are the newer style.

On the BREMBO era brakes if you lose the abs you still have excellent brakes. The newer style are power assist and if the abs module fails your braking power is like a car with power brakes without the engine running.

I have the older style and they are the best brakes I have ever had, by far, than any other motorcycle I have ridden.

Loren

·
Registered
498 Posts
Posted earlier by JPSpen....

Everyone has given you the straight info....

I'll give you the lecture...

When coming to a stop.. Leave the engine running and in first gear always...

Turn off the engine by putting the side stand down... Hold the bike upright for 20-30 seconds to let the oil drain out from the back side of the cylinders..

Then put it on the side or center stand....

One of these days you'll forget and get a 5 minute smoke trail... It's normal...

Don't come to a stop with the front end turned EVER...Because of the telelever front end.. Any energy that would have been used up by bobbing the front end on a conventional bike will cause the bike to want to jump towards the ground....

If she starts over. Once it get's past the point of no return... You're not going to stop it...
Don't try.. You'll only get hurt... She has bumpers and as long as you don't hit the windshield on something like a wall or another car or bike.. . She'll survive..

The engines are kind of noisy and the alternator drive can make some noise if you've got a big load on the elecrical system....

42psi front, 48psi Rear...Religiously unless you like to buy tires..
The tires will start cupping and you'll start hearing a roar when you lean the bike...NORMAL....
Finally the roar will get so bad that you'll have to buy new tires to make it go away..NORMAL...

It really concernes me that you don't have a license.. An LT is NOT a good first bike...
Hopefully you'll survive long enough to learn to ride it...

Oh yeah, You've got an LT now.. NOTHING will EVER be CHEAP again...

Everything you buy for her will be twice as much as you thought it would be.. At least..

Don't cheap out on anything... It never pays on this bike..

·
Registered
29 Posts
Will Canada,
I've had my 99 for a year now and everything Cochinosucio says is spot on. The clutch on mine went 3 months after I bought it and without this forum ida been sunk! With it however, I did all repairs myself and learned a shitload that is priceless! If anything goes wrong, need Not worry, all wisdom and guidance is here.

It's the best bike ever and I love it!

Good luck!

·
Registered
929 Posts
bobst2 said:
hey coch
save a copy of what you just said for every new owner of an lt
+ 1 on prob,not the best choice for a first motorcycle
I agree...this thread is something every newbie needs to read.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts