BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning to take a ride starting mid-May returning home end of May to the Blue Ridge Parkway. Leaving West Central Illinois heading through IN, KY, TN. Starting at the southern end of the Parkway and heading north to the beginning including Skyline Drive. Then its heading west to get back home through VA, W. VA, OH, IN, IL.

Plan on camping along the trip as much as possible. Looking for any insight for must do rides, places to eat, campgrounds, sightseeing, etc. I hear about the "Dragon" as a must do but I'm sure there are other great roads in the area as well. Any must do roads in southern IN, through KY, and across TN? Or on the way home through VA, W. VA, OH.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
Can get very foggy up there and the deer stand in the middle of the road...............
Take your time and enjoy..............

·
Registered
124 Posts
We were there last summer. On your way back take Hwy 50 West towards Cincinnati .
Fun

·
Registered
507 Posts
There are several camp grounds in the Shenandoah National Forest on the Skyline Drive leg with camping supply stores near by. If so inclined, one of them toward the north end of the Drive has an excellent restaurant in a lodge walking distance from camp sites.

·
Registered
63 Posts
We might just run into each other. I am planning on leaving San Francisco about May 1st and headed east. The Blue Ridge Parkway is on the agenda, probably about mid May. If you see two guys, one on a champagne LT and the other on a silver Vstrom, that's us. Wave.

Here is the approximate route of my trip. Starting from San Francisco, going through northern Arizona, New Mexico, the Texas Panhandle, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Tennessee and North Carolina with the Outer Banks as the furthest east we will go. Returning through Virginia, West Virginia, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, (possible alternate route, Ohio, Michigan, lower and Upper Peninsula, Wisconsin), Minnesota, North Dakota, Montana Idaho Nevada and back to California (alternate possibility, Idaho, Oregon, California).

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hwy 62 in Southern Indiana and Breakfast or lunch at the Overlook restaurant in Leavenworth. This maybe on your way south. Very nice views of the Ohio River and very nice riding. Not much out of your way if your riding on I 64.

·
Registered
303 Posts
mcpsycle said:
We might just run into each other. I am planning on leaving San Francisco about May 1st and headed east. The Blue Ridge Parkway is on the agenda, probably about mid May. If you see two guys, one on a champagne LT and the other on a silver Vstrom, that's us. Wave.

Here is the approximate route of my trip. Starting from San Francisco, going through northern Arizona, New Mexico, the Texas Panhandle, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Tennessee and North Carolina with the Outer Banks as the furthest east we will go. Returning through Virginia, West Virginia, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, (possible alternate route, Ohio, Michigan, lower and Upper Peninsula, Wisconsin), Minnesota, North Dakota, Montana Idaho Nevada and back to California (alternate possibility, Idaho, Oregon, California).
Love the outer Banks. Nice motel at Nags Head called the Sea Foam inn. Older, cheaper and screen doors, over looking the ocean. Great restaurant across from it called Owens. Sounds like a great trip.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Ridden both directions many times. Don't bother with Skyline Drive, its a poor extension to the real thing. Get off at Waynesboro, head north a bit then take the 50W, then the 555N when in Ohio.

The BRP, especially the top and bottom 3rd's is one of America's great roads. Once you get into the rhythm, its intoxicating on an LT. I would start with the Cherohala Skyway to start (at the southern end) and leave out the Skyline Drive. I can send a route on MS Streets and trips if you want.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Take your time and enjoy. For a quite night, (no tv or phone) and a good dinner check out the Peaks of Otter.

·
Registered
117 Posts

If you go about 10 miles east of the Outer Banks the view is fabulous...Take a snorkel :histerica

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
My Favorite Ride Every Year!

I'm heading North to South in April to attend STC. It's this time of year that everything just begins to bloom. The aroma from all those trees and flowers beginning to bloom not only intoxicating but addictive as well! The BRP is a great training for the Cherohola Skyway and all of the great roads in NC and Georgia.

I would avoid the Skyline Drive. The limit is 30 or 35 mph and the Park Rangers love to handout $500 Performance Awards. The BRP is 45 and much less monitored especially mid week. You can go 60 all day and really enjoy yourself!

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the helpful tips, and road route information. Our trip on the way to the BRP will be through IL, IN, KY, TN, NC then north on the BRP. Unfortunately we have to head back home but our travels will be through VA, WVA, OH, IN, IL. We plan on traveling on backkroads as much as possible (2-lane). Our travel dates are 5/19-29, this is a leisure trip we plan (you know that goes) on being at the southern end of BRP on 5/21 and plan on taking 3-4 days just for the BRP and riding the area before heading back.

Should be a great ride there will be three of us travel, my LT (dark graphite), 1150R (red) and I'm not sure what the other rider will be on.

If you see us wave! Thanks again for the information! Ride safe!

·
Registered
17 Posts
rmg08057 said:
Ridden both directions many times. Don't bother with Skyline Drive, its a poor extension to the real thing. Get off at Waynesboro, head north a bit then take the 50W, then the 555N when in Ohio.

The BRP, especially the top and bottom 3rd's is one of America's great roads. Once you get into the rhythm, its intoxicating on an LT. I would start with the Cherohala Skyway to start (at the southern end) and leave out the Skyline Drive. I can send a route on MS Streets and trips if you want.
The Skyline Drive is nice but may be somewhat of a letdown in comparison to riding on the Parkway. The Cherohala Skyway is awesome too with spectacular sweepers. With regards to the Dragon, you may want to avoid riding it on the weekend. Another route that is considered equally if not more challenging is the Snake, US 421 through Shady Valley, TN.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I was looking for a particular book that sits next to my bed in my DC apartment to share with you.

While googling it, I found this site:
http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/v.php?pg=62

Who knew: Fodor's has tips for motorcycling the BRP: http://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/motorcycle-trip-to-the-blue-ridge-parkway.cfm

Here's a virtual guide for motorcyclists: http://www.virtualblueridge.com/parkway/general/motorcycling.asp

I still can't find the dang book title I was looking for.

It was written by a Goldwing rider that documents the I-81 corridor into seven different sections. He then gives insight on using the section as a hub and offers 5-7 pin wheel recommendations for daily rides.

I will be back up in DC tonight. I will post the title.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ride2Ski said:
Planning to take a ride starting mid-May returning home end of May to the Blue Ridge Parkway. Leaving West Central Illinois heading through IN, KY, TN. Starting at the southern end of the Parkway and heading north to the beginning including Skyline Drive. Then its heading west to get back home through VA, W. VA, OH, IN, IL.

Plan on camping along the trip as much as possible. Looking for any insight for must do rides, places to eat, campgrounds, sightseeing, etc. I hear about the "Dragon" as a must do but I'm sure there are other great roads in the area as well. Any must do roads in southern IN, through KY, and across TN? Or on the way home through VA, W. VA, OH.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
The dragon is a fun road stay in your own lane!! The roads in smoky mountain national park get a little slow with campers pulled behind trucks I like to camp at Iron Horse Camp ground they have cabins for rent camp sites and food and hot showers and is close to dragon,and the parkway If you go to KY the road between the lakes is very nice lots of deer after dark CFull

·
Registered
5 Posts
a good place to camp thats close to the parkway and the dragon is iron horse campground have good meals and clean showers ,also cabin rentals very biker friendly. CFull

1 - 20 of 38 Posts