BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Less than a week after successful east coast trip
I sustained a fall off step ladder :mad: Busted left elbow. Arm in a sling and further surgery, not to mention rehab. Guess time to sit back and enjoy my riding dreams and the forum.
ride safe :bmw:

·
IBR# 366
16,560 Posts
Bummer.

But I suppose it's better than less than a week before your trip . . .

Heal well.

·
Premium Member
7,814 Posts
Ouch, Bill. Sounds painful.

Hope you have a quick and straightforward recovery.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bummer.

But I suppose it's better than less than a week before your trip . . .

Heal well.
Funny you did say that
But this summer I had planned 2 trips the east coast swing 3400 miles and ND, back in MT especially for a Glacier N.P. route 212 out of Red Lodge and a few other want to see. Plan was the short one first a dress down period and regroup followed by end of July early August for the 4500+ trip. Not one to complain besides one part of my season was fulfilled.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ouch, Bill. Sounds painful.

Hope you have a quick and straightforward recovery.
On paper it looks good
Let's make that on the computer monitor my orthopedic surgeon showed and explained the job at hand. I guess at completion I will be part bionic. One replacement piece he said they keep in stock kinda like BMW Boneyard. Well it will be aluminium with a life time warranty. What ya think win win :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Golly! Those Gainers off of ladders rarely end well unless you got a swimming pool under you.

Hope you heal fast and right.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Golly! Those Gainers off of ladders rarely end well unless you got a swimming pool under you.

Hope you heal fast and right.
Actually it happened on the dismount
My form and routine were perfect. At that point I was ahead with 10 on all judges scorecards. Guess the dismount and landing were never seen before in competition :eek: oops terrible.

·
IBR# 366
16,560 Posts
You've got a good sense of humor going, which helps with the healing process.

Or maybe it's just the painkillers . . . :rotf:

·
Registered
1,566 Posts

Of course he has a sense of humor. He rides a Beemer after all... :bmw:

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Less than a week after successful east coast trip
I sustained a fall off step ladder :mad: Busted left elbow. Arm in a sling and further surgery, not to mention rehab. Guess time to sit back and enjoy my riding dreams and the forum.
Damn Bill, that truly sucks. Hope your recovery is quick and uneventful.

If I lived nearby I'd offer to take your bike out so it wouldn't have to sit up so long. No need to thank me that's just the kind of guy I am. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)

You pegged it right.
Thanks. It is definitely therapeutic.
You were wrong about the pain killers though. They don't really work for me. Initial resetting and surgery were done with anesthesia and very effectively. But a chain saw on bone I don't think a pain killer has been invented for that. My second and hopefully final OR visit was Monday oh but the pain:crybaby:

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Damn Bill, that truly sucks. Hope your recovery is quick and uneventful.

If I lived nearby I'd offer to take your bike out so it wouldn't have to sit up so long. No need to thank me that's just the kind of guy I am. :rolleyes:
That is all good
Your offer is giving me ideas laying up here.
So how about a service:
Need someone to ride your bike
If you are unable or laid up with health issues :)
Contact Bill who will contact Gruivis​

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update
Not a 100 percent, still doing at home therapy. A few times in the early going I could not squeeze the clutch. Was not mad since winter had set in and I was not going anywhere :bmw: Guess I was happy for our blizzard '15 cause I had to pull out the snow blower and the left hand did well with the auger paddle/lever much stronger than the LT clutch. So I am getting there. Waiting to see if I can still ride :confused:

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Glad to hear you're almost fully recovered.

Make sure you do some resistance exercises to get all your strength back. I waited over a year before I went to the gym and was amazed to find out how weak my dislocated shoulder was even though it had completely healed.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Glad to hear you're almost fully recovered.

Make sure you do some resistance exercises to get all your strength back. I waited over a year before I went to the gym and was amazed to find out how weak my dislocated shoulder was even though it had completely healed.
Thanks for the tip
Not really a gym person. But my Doc filled me with prescribed gadgets and reps exercises that I have been doing and some. My therapist advised if it gets boring just remind myself I want to ride again and that too is working. Man do I want to ride and won't you know it the winter is even preventing me from venturing into the barn.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Glad I got my northeast states last year
They are just being pommel. Seems like the ground would not thaw in time for camping. Beautiful area still wish to revisit.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Still waiting to do a New England tour. There's always the option of flying in and riding if time is too short but there's only $$$ stopping me from that option.

For now I take comfort in the words of a great philosopher - Spock, who once said -

After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Did the same thing in 2013 just before a 3 month trip to Colorado. Broke my scapula and cracked a rib or two. I am very thankful I did not hit my head. physical therapy is the secret to a good, full recovery. I made the trip in 2014 and rode twice as much to make up for it!

·
Registered
747 Posts
Did the same thing in 2013 just before a 3 month trip to Colorado. Broke my scapula and cracked a rib or two. I am very thankful I did not hit my head. physical therapy is the secret to a good, full recovery. I made the trip in 2014 and rode twice as much to make up for it!
I joined the club. 2/19/2015 right shoulder replaced w/ a reversed implant.

Hope to be ready for the riding season.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
And also the age of the bones :(
I am continually doing as much as I can with the hand. This winter might have been a blessing in disguise. Rather than use my snow blower (1 time in our blizzard) I have been working out with the shovel the old fashion way:rotf: bending the elbow, flexing the fingers and gripping and pushing the shovel with left hand. Good pressure on joint and wrist. So with time I'll see. Making a tight fist is still eluding me.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts