BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took delivery of my K1600GTL today and drove about 200 miles or so today. People have asked me to share my very initial impressions so here we go
- Engine is sweet, beautiful sound (you tube clips do not do justice to reality), silky smooth, and it builds speed at a pace that is very impressive. There might be a small delay/hesitation when opening up the throttle compared to the K1300GT (in fact I know there is), but once it starts moving it does so in a very seductive way. The engine is so impressive. It has a sporty character with touring ambitions.
- It is much more flickable than I expected, I would say similar to K1300GT but less so than, e.g., K1200R. I have not tried to lean over too much because of new tires, new bike, wet road surface, and I have not been riding since oct/nov (first weekend when riding was really a possibility but I was still freezing my butt off... but I enjoyed the heated seat... problem solved)
- The instrument dashboard is great. Period. (Reviews complaining about the display etc... well, I have no idea what the hell they are talking about). In my mind it is fantastic.
- Transmission is much better than previous K-bikes, but there is still a bit of a clonk... but significant improvement. No complaints on my behalf!
- I like the saddle bags and the "trunk". Good quality... and I really like the central lock (no more fiddling with keys...)
- The ESA worked like charm on the roads I was on today.
- The mirrors are absolutely stable/vibration free, and I like the view I get (but not as good as on my GS)
- And yes, the BMW saddle is still a BMW saddle. Much better than the standard saddles on my other two bikes, but after three hours I had some discomfort which does not happen on my touratech saddle on the GS. I am 185cm (6'1) and I have the high saddle. Expected it to be a bit too low but it actually works for my height. My personal preference will be a higher saddle, so it will be replaced when there is a touratech option available.

Some downsides I have noticed:
- The BMW navigator does not have the level of integration that I expected. I might have to play around a bit more, but the functionality is indeed reduced when using the BMW controllers on the left handlebar.
- the cruise control, when terminated, the transition really is a bit abrupt. Maybe this has to do with engine braking being stronger but nevertheless it something I expected to be smoother on this machine.

Well, that is about it. Please bear in mind that these are initial impressions and more serious miles are needed to increase confidence in these impressions, so take these for what they are...

·
Registered
193 Posts
Awesome write-up, thanks! You have a way with words, I really enjoyed reading your opinions, I suspect you could have a second career writing for one of the motorcycle mags. :D

You're just making my wait that much harder, but please post some additional reviews once you've passed the break-in period and you can really wring her out (and ride at night).'

thanks,
Ray

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
Thanks for the "FIRST" real Life write up J.
Please keep us up to date as you put on more miles.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Read a review this afternoon from a guy who has just taken delivery of his 1600GT.

Basically same opinion as you except for the mirrors, which he does not like.

He was not keen on the control wheel on the left hand grip. Complicates simple things like turning on and off the heated grips for instance.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
simoncharles said:
Read a review this afternoon from a guy who has just taken delivery of his 1600GT.

Basically same opinion as you except for the mirrors, which he does not like.

He was not keen on the control wheel on the left hand grip. Complicates simple things like turning on and off the heated grips for instance.
The mirrors have a position that is similar to those of the K1300GT. It is easy to get the mirrors positioned so you can see things behind you but a bit further back than what the mirrors on the GS allow you. For example, on the GS I can adjust the mirrors so I see things right behind me (I believe I can almost see the sides of the top box if I so wish), and the mirrors are more wide-angle than the K1600GT/GTL. Given the position, it is not easy to adjust them on the fly since they are way forward. Anyway, once they are in the right position I do not expect that I need to do much more about them. Anyway, the GS mirrors are closer to the driver and probably also stick out a bit wider.

In regards to the controller, the first hour I thought it was a bit much, but after that I could start seeing the system and structure enforced and how to do it more quickly. There are a few things that will take some time getting used to, but I believe that once you do, one could be very quick, i.e., the hierarchical menu system is not like a deep tree. But yes it is different. In fact, by the end of the ride I thought they could have added a few more things into the system to possibly remove the four buttons you have down on the left side fairing.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Ray and Steve! I have enjoyed the comments and experience from so many from this site so I'm glad that I also can contribute from time to time.

Cheers, J.

Raaze12 said:
Awesome write-up, thanks! You have a way with words, I really enjoyed reading your opinions, I suspect you could have a second career writing for one of the motorcycle mags. :D

You're just making my wait that much harder, but please post some additional reviews once you've passed the break-in period and you can really wring her out (and ride at night).'

thanks,
Ray

·
Registered
519 Posts
First, CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Secondly, thanks for the first ride impressions. As you know, there are quite a number of guys here (including me) who are waiting patiently for our K1600's to arrive, so we get to live vicariously through you.

Thanks for sharing. Enjoy the bike!!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MrBreeze said:
First, CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Secondly, thanks for the first ride impressions. As you know, there are quite a number of guys here (including me) who are waiting patiently for our K1600's to arrive, so we get to live vicariously through you.
You will not be disappointed. It is a fantastic motorcycle, but it is still a motorcycle (my point, expect something great and you will happy and/or blown away... if you expect a motorcycle that is the best thing since sliced bread... well, then you might be disappointed).

Nevertheless, it is so worth the wait (and I placed my order last summer so I have waited for some time...). If the reliability/quality is good, then I believe many will enjoy this bike for sure.

I hope you all are getting your bikes soon too!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Since most of us over here in the colonies will be waiting another month or so, please keep us posted on subsequent rides and developments. Thanks for your thoughts on the GTL.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Thank you for your impressions. I too am waiting for my GTL to arive and hope that it is in time for my first trip back east this year.
I am currently learning a BMW X3 and like any new piece of equipment you can only learn so much at one time.
Enjoy and keep us informed.
Spence

·
Registered
268 Posts
SwedishViking said:
I
- The BMW navigator does not have the level of integration that I expected. I might have to play around a bit more, but the functionality is indeed reduced when using the BMW controllers on the left handlebar.
Thanks for the review. It would be great if you could post a review of the GTL on the K1600forum.com since no one there has yet to publish such a report.

I had a look at the rider's manual and it looks like you can do things such as zoom in, and zoom out on the map, adjust the volume.. but spelling out destinations will still have to be inputted by hand. For the kinds of things that you do when the bike is moving, it seems to be the controls are adequate. What controls would you have liked that you could access while the bike is moving?

·
Registered
364 Posts
SwedishViking said:
I took delivery of my K1600GTL today and drove about 200 miles or so today. People have asked me to share my very initial impressions so here we go
- Engine is sweet, beautiful sound (you tube clips do not do justice to reality), silky smooth, and it builds speed at a pace that is very impressive. There might be a small delay/hesitation when opening up the throttle compared to the K1300GT (in fact I know there is), but once it starts moving it does so in a very seductive way. The engine is so impressive. It has a sporty character with touring ambitions.
- It is much more flickable than I expected, I would say similar to K1300GT but less so than, e.g., K1200R. I have not tried to lean over too much because of new tires, new bike, wet road surface, and I have not been riding since oct/nov (first weekend when riding was really a possibility but I was still freezing my butt off... but I enjoyed the heated seat... problem solved)
- The instrument dashboard is great. Period. (Reviews complaining about the display etc... well, I have no idea what the hell they are talking about). In my mind it is fantastic.
- Transmission is much better than previous K-bikes, but there is still a bit of a clonk... but significant improvement. No complaints on my behalf!
- I like the saddle bags and the "trunk". Good quality... and I really like the central lock (no more fiddling with keys...)
- The ESA worked like charm on the roads I was on today.
- The mirrors are absolutely stable/vibration free, and I like the view I get (but not as good as on my GS)
- And yes, the BMW saddle is still a BMW saddle. Much better than the standard saddles on my other two bikes, but after three hours I had some discomfort which does not happen on my touratech saddle on the GS. I am 185cm (6'1) and I have the high saddle. Expected it to be a bit too low but it actually works for my height. My personal preference will be a higher saddle, so it will be replaced when there is a touratech option available.

Some downsides I have noticed:
- the cruise control, when terminated, the transition really is a bit abrupt. Maybe this has to do with engine braking being stronger but nevertheless it something I expected to be smoother on this machine.

Well, that is about it. Please bear in mind that these are initial impressions and more serious miles are needed to increase confidence in these impressions, so take these for what they are...
Thanks for the review. I'm glad you like the bike. Can't wait to get mine.
Ken

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
fluffy said:
I had a look at the rider's manual and it looks like you can do things such as zoom in, and zoom out on the map, adjust the volume.. but spelling out destinations will still have to be inputted by hand. For the kinds of things that you do when the bike is moving, it seems to be the controls are adequate. What controls would you have liked that you could access while the bike is moving?
I was hoping to be able to flip through my phone book, favorite places, finding a gas station, and answer phone calls. I need to read a bit more, but it seems unclear whether these things are possible.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I'd like to learn more about the side panniers. I can't tell from the pics I have seen... do they open from the side or the top? Are they any bigger than the ones on the current K1300GT/R1200RT? The ones on my RT are just slightly too small to fit my laptop bag and I'd be interested to know how that might work.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Thanks for the write-up. On the cruise control, I noticed on my LT the same thing would happen if I didn't twist in the amount of throttle that was being held by the controller. That is, if I simply released the cruise cntrl the bike would lurch with compression but if I twisted the grip with some input and then released the cruise cntrl, everything was smooth. By the way, if you could favor us with some pictures it would be appreciated. This would be the first production bike anyone has seen. Thanks again. :D :D :D

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They open from the side. I will see what I can when it comes to measuring them. It seems that they are on par or possibly slightly larger than the RT/prev GT bags. It might take a few days though before I have some data.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Great report - it's nice to read one from a paying customer.

A question on the cruise: With drive by wire and electronic cruise, does the throttle grip allow you to accelerate with the cruise engaged and does the grip maintaina relative position to the throttle opening - meaning if your hand is on the throttle and you disconnect the cruise, does it try to drop to idle?

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
Request!!!

Please post something, just ONE thing that sucks about the new motorcycle so that those who can't afford one can sit back and not feel completely jealous?

Thanks.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
buffgunner said:
Great report - it's nice to read one from a paying customer.

A question on the cruise: With drive by wire and electronic cruise, does the throttle grip allow you to accelerate with the cruise engaged and does the grip maintaina relative position to the throttle opening - meaning if your hand is on the throttle and you disconnect the cruise, does it try to drop to idle?
Hm, i need to try this more to answer this. I only used the cruise control a few times since I am breaking in the engine and therefore wanted to change the rev's and gears frequently.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts