BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe I missed it. Did anybody post some loop rides or places of interest for this year's CCR?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
mwnahas said:
Maybe I missed it. Did anybody post some loop rides or places of interest for this year's CCR?

Thanks

I'm wondering the same.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Found this little gem of a web pagetry this
I looked under the visitors tab and saw the Skyline parkway scenic byway, looks like an ok ride, a couple lookouts on the way.
The Lake Superior railroad museum is in walking distance, I'll be going there, but I am looking for more too.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Google maps shows highway 210 ending at Carlton MN. Grab the street view
guy and the rest of 210 lights up.
210, (Chestnut ave.) takes you over the St Louis river for this view and on into Thomson. Hang a right and
continue along the St Louis River to highway 23. Looks to be a nice
hilly curvy ride.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Jay Cook State Park, One of the best roads in the state is closed due to heavy rains earlier this year.
Hwy 61 up the north shore of Superior to Hwy 1 north to Ely is a nice ride.
Me and my brother rode the Echo trail from Ely to Orr a few years ago.
It's not paved but was very well maintained.I was on a K1200Lt and he had a R1150RT .
Hwy 38 north out of Grand rapids is an excellant twisty road.
Gunflint Trail out of Grand Marais is very good.
Really,just about any area in that part of the state has interesting roads.A tour through the little towns on the Iron Range is a must .Aurora,Virginia,Gilbert,Eveleth,ect.
The Soudan mine is supposed to be awesome.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
ChiefMn said:
Jay Cook State Park, One of the best roads in the state is closed due to heavy rains earlier this year.
Hwy 61 up the north shore of Superior to Hwy 1 north to Ely is a nice ride.
Me and my brother rode the Echo trail from Ely to Orr a few years ago.
It's not paved but was very well maintained.I was on a K1200Lt and he had a R1150RT .
Hwy 38 north out of Grand rapids is an excellant twisty road.
Gunflint Trail out of Grand Marais is very good.
Really,just about any area in that part of the state has interesting roads.A tour through the little towns on the Iron Range is a must .Aurora,Virginia,Gilbert,Eveleth,ect.
The Soudan mine is supposed to be awesome.
Thanks for the tips!
I guess highway 210 is out of the question, terrible mess, what a loss. map with pic's
Was planning on Gunflint trail up to Chik-Wauk - got one right.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
1,509 Posts
There will be several large local area riding maps with a number of highlighted routes (some already mentioned) that will be on display in the hotel lobby all week, like we had last year in Boise, I believe. Also, I believe we'll be handing out Minnesota highway maps. And don't forget a whole lot of possibilities by heading east into Wisconsin -- Hwy 13 along Lake Superior from Superior all the way over to Bayfield and back along Hwy 2, or meander through National Forest roads. Or look into the Delta Diner near Delta. On Roadfood or on their own web site. But watch for deer!

·
Premium Member
8,603 Posts
icepick578 said:
And don't forget a whole lot of possibilities by heading east into Wisconsin -- Hwy 13 along Lake Superior from Superior all the way over to Bayfield and back along Hwy 2, or meander through National Forest roads.
That route is already in my GPS for a day trip . :bike:

icepick578 said:
But watch for deer!
NO !! Bambi better watch out for me !!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
North east on rt 61, 50 miles is a split rock lighthouse and a betty's pies along the way... Gotta check that one out. :D

·
Premium Member
7,878 Posts
mwnahas said:
North east on rt 61, 50 miles is a split rock lighthouse and a betty's pies along the way... Gotta check that one out. :D
I've seen the lighthouse. It's spectacular.

And I've been to Betty's Pies - not too shabby, either. :)

·
Premium Member
1,509 Posts
katnapinn said:
That route is already in my GPS for a day trip . :bike:

If you don't include Delta Diner on that loop, you'll hate yourself. Ask Mense and Ms. Pea and the Rev.

B

·
Premium Member
1,509 Posts
mwnahas said:

Betty's Pies. Oh. My. God.

·
Premium Member
7,878 Posts
icepick578 said:
Betty's Pies. Oh. My. God.
Barrett, I've seen more posts by you in the past several days/few weeks than in the previous <fill in the blank> months. And, they've all been on one topic. Coincidence? :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Head over to Bayfield, WI. Ride over on 13, ride back to Daloot on 2. On you way out of Bayfield, if you have room on your bike, stop at the Pie Lady and grab one of her home-made pies. Next stop: Washburn. Lunch at Coco's. Also has great bread. Across the street a short way-- North Coast coffee. Or-- in Ashland: The Black Cat coffee shop. Across the street from the Black Cat is Ashland Bakery. Crazy good stuff.
My wife and I have a summer place in Bayfield. Great place in the summer-- waaayyy to cold in the winter.

And-- if you have the time, in Bayfield you can catch the Ferry out to Madekine Island great riding out there.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Betties Pies is good, but crowded, all the time.

Scenic Cafe is good between Duluth and two harbors.

If you go up to Grand Marais, the angry trout is excellent.

Ole and Sven's Pizza is a great experience and the pies aren't too bad.

the Nanniboujou lodge, a little north of Grand Marais. It was built in the 20's by some major sports figures and millionaires, used in the thirties by gangsters as a retreat, and now has been refurbished as a hotel and restaurant.

The mural on the ceiling is not to be missed, and it is the only place on the North Shore where you can get afternoon High tea.

Ely is worth visiting, but Highway 1, normally a great road has a significant stretch of gravel due to construction. bummer, but if you don't mind riding on gravel??? I don't know how much gravel because I avoid it myself.

in Duluth there are a lot of good restaurants, but the Duluth Grill, Sarah's table, are two I usually try to hit. The cranberry wildrice french bread is not to be missed (unless you are trying to loose weight). The Duluth Grill grows all their own vegies, has a gluten free menu, and is excellent.

Well, I will see you there, hopefully ride together.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
CaptainCBL said:
Head over to Bayfield, WI. Ride over on 13, ride back to Daloot on 2. On you way out of Bayfield, if you have room on your bike, stop at the Pie Lady and grab one of her home-made pies. Next stop: Washburn. Lunch at Coco's. Also has great bread. Across the street a short way-- North Coast coffee. Or-- in Ashland: The Black Cat coffee shop. Across the street from the Black Cat is Ashland Bakery. Crazy good stuff.
My wife and I have a summer place in Bayfield. Great place in the summer-- waaayyy to cold in the winter.

And-- if you have the time, in Bayfield you can catch the Ferry out to Madekine Island great riding out there.
thanks, included route diversion to Washburn and Bayfield Monday. Coco's? is that Coco Artisan Breads & Fine Pastries?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Coco's: Yes, Excellent breads and pastries, and an excellent menu too.

·
Premium Member
1,463 Posts
katnapinn said:
Barrett.. Here ya go. :D
Bayfield/Delta Diner loop

Steve,

I also have it in my GPS. Lookin' forward to it!

Jer

·
Premium Member
1,509 Posts
hschisler said:
Barrett, I've seen more posts by you in the past several days/few weeks than in the previous <fill in the blank> months. And, they've all been on one topic. Coincidence? :)
Isn't this the classifieds?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.